Turn down profanity and gore?

#1AlchemicRezPosted 2/19/2009 5:42:27 AM
Hi, I don't have the game yet and was wondering if there was a way to tone down the profanity and gore within the game. This is a somewhat common setting and I wish there was a place to find out which games tout this feature. I know it sounds like an odd question given this game's nature, however ..... well it's a long story. Sufficient to say that while I personally find excessive gore distasteful, it's the language I'm really concerned about here, what with my children playing in the next room and their uncanny ability to repeat swear words at the worst possible social setting. ie: In church, at school, at the grocery store, at the in-law's house, did I mention at church?

Thanks.
#2Eff_BawmbPosted 2/19/2009 5:44:43 AM
Sorry, nothing like that in this game. The only parts with gore are in the zombie video game within the game, but you don't need to play that for any reason other than an achievement. There is an excess of swearing though.
---
Team Fortress Assassins clan site
http://s13.zetaboards.com/TF_Assassins/index/
#3Alex0Posted 2/19/2009 6:39:45 AM
If you're worried about your children hearing the swear words, and not yourself, you could try headphones. Or just turning down the sound and putting up subtitles.
---
GamerTag - Wizzard Bloke
#4TheBanhamnerPosted 2/19/2009 7:06:18 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5cheater87Posted 2/19/2009 9:10:33 AM
Play the game when they are sleeping.
---
http://www.mywot.com/
#6dark_minunPosted 2/19/2009 1:27:52 PM
I agree with you that it would be nice to turn that down.

There is no in-game setting for it, but here are a couple of home-made solutions:

1. The game has 3 or 4 different selections for audio, you could turn off people's voices and still hear everything else in the game. Subtitles could suffice for storyline dialogue.

2. This is a more expensive option: I know some older people who are hard of hearing have headsets that connect to the T.V. and allow you to hear what's on without having the T.V. speakers on. They are wireless and have excellent sound quality, but expect a set to cost $150-$300.
---
Bring back Vanilla Coke in Canada!! (started: 01/02/2009)
#7charlieb123Posted 2/19/2009 5:22:50 PM
The headsets aren't actually too expensive and definitely worth it if you don't want other people hearing the TV.
---
I've got a friend whose nickname is ****er. You might think that's quite cool... She doesnt
Games I'm looking forward to, CoD: MW2, Prototype, and Godfather 2.
#8master_z0bPosted 2/19/2009 5:37:27 PM

Eff_Bawmb posted...
Sorry, nothing like that in this game. The only parts with gore are in the zombie video game within the game, but you don't need to play that for any reason other than an achievement. There is an excess of swearing though.
---

I think that there are plenty of parts of this game that would qualify as gore that aren't in Zombie Rising.

Apart from the gore of shooting people in the head normally, there are those Fuzz missions where he asks you to use the chainsaw or the flamethrower. As well as some gruesome cutscenes.

#9xSAEROSxPosted 2/19/2009 11:24:46 PM
I could think of one cut scenes where "Maero" is driving his monster truck.

I found this game to be slightly....cruel, but mainly in the cut scenes; For being the leader of a gang, I think the story really benefits from it though. It really sets the environment and mood.

If you're at medium range to your enemies you don't see much gore unless you do a headshot.

As for you children, I wouldn't suggest them being around if they're impressionable.

---
My Gamertag is: xSaeros
#10AlchemicRez(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2009 11:55:25 PM
Thank you all for your great help. Rest assured that I don't (purposefully) expose my kids to mature or teen rated games. Sadly, after much contemplation, I decided that the only true solution would be to wait until they are -much- older before even purchasing games such as these. Hmm just think of it, by that time we'll be up to Saints Row 15. =)

One more note for anyone interested; today after posting my question, I stumbled across http://www.whattheyplay.com/ Excellent resource if you are concerned with the kind of content that kids get to see.