So there's no trial, $60, and a subscription fee

#1BTzzPosted 7/2/2012 11:08:58 PM(edited)
Are they trying to discourage people from actually playing this game?

I mean, what the heck. Actually seems sort of interesting but I have absolutely no way of telling if it will be any good or even how the hell the game plays without forking $60.

Shame.

*correction: $50.
---
Xbox GT: Ian Bits
#2TheUndeadSteakPosted 7/2/2012 11:09:26 PM
I have yet to see an MMO have a free trial at launch. Star Wars: The Old Republic? No trial. Aion? No trial. Rift? No trial. And those are just MMO's that come to mind.

Besides, there WAS an open beta. Best chance you had for a free trial for now.
#3Visani_ChantePosted 7/2/2012 11:10:31 PM
So... How many MMOs do you know of that offer a free trial before they even launch?
#4BTzz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 11:17:40 PM
I'm obviously not looking for a free trial NOW, I'm looking for a free trial when the game actually releases, which isn't going to happen.

I'm not massively familiar with the MMO market. I know for a fact if you're asking more from a consumer (in terms of a commitment to pay a sub fee to continue playing the game), you have to prove something to the consumer. What the hell has this game proven? It's a new IP, it's claiming to do things differently but there's no god damn way for the consumer to tell without dropping $50 and paying a sub fee. Considering how oversaturated the MMO market is at this point, that's practically suicide. I can't even fathom the launch of this game being that successful unless the reviews are out of this world.

I know Diablo III isn't an MMO but it included trial versions in the copies of the retail games. (Yes, I'm using DIII as a positive example, crazy I know) That's a brilliant idea because you're basically allowing people who liked the game enough to buy it recommend it to their friends and allow their friends to try it out as well. Why couldn't this game do that? What's stopping it?

Yes, I'm sure months down the line will see trials, price drops, etc., but isn't the launch when you want to get people on? When the most people will be active, when you'll get into things like guilds that will be what keeps you paying the sub fee?
---
#5TheUndeadSteakPosted 7/2/2012 11:19:06 PM
BTzz posted...
I'm obviously not looking for a free trial NOW, I'm looking for a free trial when the game actually releases, which isn't going to happen.

I'm not massively familiar with the MMO market. I know for a fact if you're asking more from a consumer (in terms of a commitment to pay a sub fee to continue playing the game), you have to prove something to the consumer. What the hell has this game proven? It's a new IP, it's claiming to do things differently but there's no god damn way for the consumer to tell without dropping $50 and paying a sub fee. Considering how oversaturated the MMO market is at this point, that's practically suicide. I can't even fathom the launch of this game being that successful unless the reviews are out of this world.

I know Diablo III isn't an MMO but it included trial versions in the copies of the retail games. (Yes, I'm using DIII as a positive example, crazy I know) That's a brilliant idea because you're basically allowing people who liked the game enough to buy it recommend it to their friends and allow their friends to try it out as well. Why couldn't this game do that? What's stopping it?

Yes, I'm sure months down the line will see trials, price drops, etc., but isn't the launch when you want to get people on? When the most people will be active, when you'll get into things like guilds that will be what keeps you paying the sub fee?
I already countered your point.

TheUndeadSteak posted...
I have yet to see an MMO have a free trial at launch. Star Wars: The Old Republic? No trial. Aion? No trial. Rift? No trial. And those are just MMO's that come to mind.

Besides, there WAS an open beta. Best chance you had for a free trial for now.

And you know that there are YouTube videos, right?
#6BTzz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 11:20:36 PM
If you judged MMOs by youtube gameplay there wouldn't be a single one worth playing.
---
#7TheUndeadSteakPosted 7/2/2012 11:30:03 PM
BTzz posted...
If you judged MMOs by youtube gameplay there wouldn't be a single one worth playing.
You can still see what quests are like, you know.

Also, you missed your chance at what pretty much amounted to a free trial, namely: The open beta.
#8BTzz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 11:38:51 PM
TheUndeadSteak posted...
BTzz posted...

Also, you missed your chance at what pretty much amounted to a free trial, namely: The open beta.

Because "you missed your chance, come back in a few months" is a good way to sell a game.
---
#9TheUndeadSteakPosted 7/2/2012 11:51:37 PM
BTzz posted...
TheUndeadSteak posted...
BTzz posted...

Because "you missed your chance, come back in a few months" is a good way to sell a game.
They're being better about it than other MMO's. The ones I listed waited months before putting in a free trial.
#10SeraphLancePosted 7/2/2012 11:53:18 PM
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, because you already admitted a lack of familiarity with the MMO market.

Expecting entire markets to behave differently is sheer insanity.
---
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.