Subscription fees?

#1Mandalore_15Posted 5/13/2009 4:44:05 AM

I can't find a whole lot of info on the pricing structure of this game. Does anyone know if there will be subscription fees? The fact that it's in development for Xbox 360 as well as the PC would suggest not; maybe they'll have a system similar to Hellgate where it's free to play but you can pay for extra stuff? At any rate, I really like the look and sound of this game from what I've seen, but am unwilling to pay monthly for ANY game. Here's hoping it's box price only.

#2midgarPosted 5/14/2009 6:08:19 PM
No, it will have a subscription fee, likely $12-14.95 a month, with a discount for 3/6/12 month purchases.
(Like AO and AoC) Any and all MMOs worth playing have paid subscriptions, this won't be an exception.
---
"The key to happiness is disinterest mingled with mild contempt."
Better living through apathy. If you're into that sort of thing.
#3midgarPosted 5/14/2009 6:14:27 PM
At any rate, I really like the look and sound of this game from what I've seen, but am unwilling to pay monthly for ANY game.

That said, this isn't the genre for you, then. Being on the 360 means nothing. FFXI on the Xbox/PS2,
much like the PC version, requires a monthly fee. (Not to mention you're paying $60 a year on XBL.)

Either get used to it, or give up on finding a good/fun MMO.
---
#4Mandalore_15(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2009 4:43:41 AM
I believe I'll give up trying to find a good/fun MMO then. For all the benefits that greater online capabilities in games have given us, none of them have been to our wallets. -_-
#5Seca VerinsPosted 5/17/2009 4:20:02 PM
There are good MMOs that don't have subscription fees. The Endless Forest comes to mind.
---
Diamond Friend Code:
Morte 5412 7020 6206
#6midgarPosted 5/18/2009 11:03:50 AM
MMORPG - not some hippie version of second life with antlers.

Really now, The Endless Forrest? Was that serious reply...?
---
#7Seca VerinsPosted 5/18/2009 5:29:36 PM
yes. I'm sorry that I don't base my gaming experience on how closely a game adheres to predefined, limiting genres.
---
Diamond Friend Code:
Morte 5412 7020 6206
#8midgarPosted 5/18/2009 7:58:19 PM
LOL, alrighty then, my friend. Enjoy roleplaying Bambi, if that's your thing. Just saying, TEF doesn't
really seem like a game to me, but something more akin to social networking in a 3D environment.
---
#9Mandalore_15(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2009 11:36:32 AM
To be fair, Smashoseth, that's kind of the POINT of MMORPG's. If there were no social networking involved, you might as well scrap the "MMO" and just make an "RPG". Which is what I wish a lot of devs WOULD do instead of taking great ideas then milking them for all they're worth by warping them into online games.

There's no reason a game like this or the new KotOR wouldn't be just as good, if not better as a singleplayer experience. The devs just want to take us for a ride, charging us monthly fees to play the damn thing, and lying that it's for "server upkeep". We know that's a load of bo****ks because games like Guild Wars exist. If it were up to me, I'd ban monthly fees.
#10midgarPosted 5/19/2009 3:58:02 PM
My point is there is a BIG difference between something purely social, like TEF where you romp
around without any goal or objectives and just sniff each other's ass to say hello (seriously..) and a
game that is massively multiplayer and involves cooperation to accomplish things you couldn't alone.

Subscription fees ARE a necessity for a persistent environment that is always changing. To keep the
servers open, functioning, and even powered costs money. Maintenance isn't cheap, but that's not
actually where your money goes. You like new items, playfields, and expansions...? It takes a team of
people who are fairly well paid to create new content so the game doesn't get boring and ages well.

Not to mention support staff for in game issues and customer service, as well as bug fixes and the
manpower required to constantly improve the product. The whole point of an MMORPG is that it is not
only persistent, but changing/improving over time to keep it fresh. We're not talking about slapping
on a little DLC like on consoles, either. It takes thousands of hours throughout the life of an MMO (that
is a lot of money in "labor') to develop content and maintain a persistent and changing online world.

This is opposed to making a game, selling it for $60, and then having that same dev team move on
to another project. It's not like they make the game and the dev team moves on. They continue
working on an ever changing project and that TAKES MONEY. Anyone who thinks it doesn't is lol.

Seriously, be it artistic or technical, the people coding, bug find/fixing/ texturing, doing models,
writing additional story info, helping you in game all get paid by a company that put MILLIONS into
developing a game for you to play for years to come. Why can't people understand something so simple?

---