Any suggestions for a sword/blood build?

#1joeman2004Posted 7/11/2012 10:37:20 AM
I feel like I'm getting to a point where I'm not taking full advantage of my build. I have a bunch of skill & ability points i havent spent, just cuz im unsure of my direction. Does anyone else have some suggestions as to which skills I should look into to make the most out of my build? I use a sword for offense and blood magic for defense (healing). Below is a link to check out my build. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Ruehl
#2TheArtOfSciencePosted 7/11/2012 11:04:18 AM
To be honest there is more synergy between blade and chaos but blade blood can work too.

First off blade is not an "offensive" weapon it's the evasion tanking class. It breaks down like this:

Fist: Melee healing
Hammer; Melee block tank
Sword: Melee evasion tank

Chaos: Magic tanking
Blood: Magic healing
Elem: Magic DPS

AR: support/heal
Shotgun: support/tank
Pistol: support/dps

Technically you can dps with any weapon but you won't see as much damage with blade as you with, say, elemental.

The most important thing is to understand what states you are inflicting and then craft a build around that. For instance there are lots of blade abilities that cause Impair. You can get a bunch of passives that proc off of impair and get active abilities that exploit or cause impair.

That's the basics of it, at least. The system is pretty deep and takes some time to get used to.
---
"Round and round and round we spin,/With feet of lead and wings of tin..." ~Kurt Vonnegut
#3joeman2004(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2012 11:20:13 AM
The reason I went with blood apposed to chaos is for the healing.
#4Visani_ChantePosted 7/11/2012 11:21:58 AM
You can pretty much ignore TheArtOfScience post.

Blade is the Defensive tanking weapon. Chaos is Evasion tanking.

Blade and Blood both deal with Affliction, Penetration, and impairments. You can choose work your build around any of those or all of them. Early on, it is easier to build around Affliction and Penetration.

However, using blood only for defense/healing is a bad idea. Sword alone gives you better healing while being offensive than trying to mix in Blood Heals. You either split your gear between offensive and healing stats to deal less damage or your heals simply can't keep up with the damage dealt to you.
#5joeman2004(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2012 11:23:50 AM
So does anyonee have a skill set that I can work towards that would get me what I'm looking for?
#6TheArtOfSciencePosted 7/11/2012 11:34:08 AM
Visani_Chante posted...
You can pretty much ignore TheArtOfScience post.

Blade is the Defensive tanking weapon. Chaos is Evasion tanking.

Blade and Blood both deal with Affliction, Penetration, and impairments. You can choose work your build around any of those or all of them. Early on, it is easier to build around Affliction and Penetration.

However, using blood only for defense/healing is a bad idea. Sword alone gives you better healing while being offensive than trying to mix in Blood Heals. You either split your gear between offensive and healing stats to deal less damage or your heals simply can't keep up with the damage dealt to you.

I like how you say ignore my post then respond with a mixture of what i already said and wrong information. My post was pretty short because I'm at work but I've been playing the game for months. Obviously the OP doesn't understand slotting passives for synergy or they wouldn't be asking this question.

To the OP: It's honestly not about what weapon you decide to use so much as how you build around that weapon. You need to find a state to build synergy around.

For instance you will find a 1pt active attack for sword and a 1pt passive right after it that gives the active attack a bonus to penetration. (forget the names of the abilities) If you slot this attack and this passive and put a +penetration glyph on your weapon you can assume that you will be getting penetrating hits.

If you want to build on that you need to find other passives and actives that can take advantage of penetration. This includes a number of skills in the hammer and shotgun tree. Some will be too deep in the wheel to get right away but you can find a decent number that are few enough points to pick up.

You then want to look for other passives that improve your survivability early. You almost positively want Lick Your Wounds which is a 1pt fist passive that heals you every time you hit an enemy. You also want the 10% bonus to blade damage passive because it takes awhile to get enough abilities to craft build that will make the 10% damage buff worth removing.

Honestly you can use any weapon as your second weapon but look for finishers that exploit or cause penetration. Once you see how all of the passives and actives working together makes you more powerful you will begin to get the hang of making your own build. There's a lot that could be said about it but really it comes down to just being patient and reading and you will find it becomes more accessible.
---
"Round and round and round we spin,/With feet of lead and wings of tin..." ~Kurt Vonnegut
#7Visani_ChantePosted 7/11/2012 12:05:12 PM
joeman2004 posted...
So does anyonee have a skill set that I can work towards that would get me what I'm looking for?

Following the Goon deck will put you through the majority of healing skills that Swords have. Focus on gear that gives Defense and you'll have a good sword build that has high damage mitigation and a combination of Passive and instant healing over time.
#8AlessarPosted 7/11/2012 12:50:09 PM
Let me give you the example of what I went with. Here is my early build from Kingsmouth

http://thesecretsandbox.com/Deck?abilities=,50,52,58,54,103,111,107,51,57,59,53,55,108,106

The goal here is to spam blood shield 3 to 5x so you can start out with blood resources if necessary, jump into a fight and either combo Balanced Blade and Infection back to back for a group or Dancing Blade and Exsanguinate for a single target.

Quickly I decided that Delicate Strike and Delicate Precision were not that essential because Blade Storm is all the builder I need. Sure the base damage is a little lower but there are so many packs of things and adds it was worth it. I experimented for a bit but eventually when I finished the inner ring and got the elites I put in the active elite Stunning Swirl (or Cardiac Arrest if you know you have a boss with no adds or need range) and the passive elite coagulation.

With the elites, that build works great for anything up to Priest island, it's a solid start. Swirl hinders foes and Exsanguinate exploits that (as does balanced blade if a group is there) and the three hit combo of Swirl, Exsang, and Dance is sick.

Now in Savage Coast I experimented a bit and decided Blood Shield wasn't cutting it as my self heal and eventually upgraded to Scarlet Arts. I decided Immortal Spirit wasn't a big enough heal either but I'm still focusing on affliction and penetration.

I used bloodline for a while (chain builder) when fighting packs, and I carried There Will Be Blood for a while, but lately I've gone back to the basic Boiling Blood as I've been fighting more single targets.

http://thesecretsandbox.com/Deck?abilities=,58,52,54,56,99,111,514,59,55,106,1015,100,104,112 (note the Thicker Than Water icon is broke)

I do miss being able to pre-build with blood shield so I can start with stunning swirl and then use exsanguinate, but often I can pull a foe with 3 doses of boiling blood and then hit them 2 or 3 times quickly with blade storm and then go into my Stun/Exsang/Dance combo. Scarlet Arts takes 5 blood resources but it's a shield heal heal heal shield combo and you can cast it while kiting.

Hope that gives the TC some food for thought.
#9joeman2004(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2012 2:55:14 PM
Is Blood Shield better than Angelic Aegis, cuz that what I've been using.
#10TluhdatsiPosted 7/11/2012 3:05:31 PM
Blood Shield builds Blood resources, while Angelic Aegis burns them.
---
If given the truth, (the people) can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer. -Abe Lincoln