Are my heals supposed to heal for so little?

#1Ravid182Posted 7/22/2012 2:26:54 PM
I have just started going healing. I have mostly QL3/4 items however I have 2 items without heal rating on them yet, but rest have it. I have been building for the Templars Exorcist Deck mostly focusing on blood.

But I have been struggling a bit with healing groups. I just got my first AOE spell [the AoE shield, doesn't actually heal] and I find I am just healing for next to nothing. I get that there is no mana so they have to make it difficult, but my heals feel exceptionally weak.

Like I am trying to heal up 5 3k+ HP people 80 HP at a time almost, with my main recourse builder, and then 250 every 3 resources.

Just sometimes it seems impossible to even do. Those put shields on them but that honestly isn't enough.

I still do need 2 more items with heal rating though, the rest is QL3/4 heal rating. Am I doing something wrong?
#2Flipsider99Posted 7/22/2012 9:45:09 PM
No, I think that's just how the game is. As you said, there is no MP, so they have to balance that by keeping the healing amount low. So if you need a lot of healing you just have to spam your best healing moves until the tank is brought back up to full... and if you can't keep up, he dies. Nothing else you can do.

They have to do it this way because if there were large healing spells it would be unbalanced, your tank would never die. It's unfortunate because it contributes to the spammy and monotonous feeling of combat that this game has. I think getting rid of MP is generally a bad move for RPG's, as rescource management is a huge part of what makes playing a healer interesting. This game does nothing to change my opinion.
#3Visani_ChantePosted 7/22/2012 10:12:58 PM
Blood healing is a bit weak early on since it is split between barriers and direct heals. Fist healing is a better choice for the earlier parts of the game as it is just the straight healing that most people are used to.
#4TluhdatsiPosted 7/22/2012 10:59:47 PM
As hard as it is for you to heal, your tank is working just as hard to build aggro and keep himself alive, and your DPS are working just as hard to dish out damage without dying to AoEs. This is a game of slowly picking away at your task. Every role is challenging.
---
If given the truth, (the people) can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer. -Abe Lincoln
#5AlessarPosted 7/23/2012 6:04:28 AM
Another thing, you should --in a dungeon -- mostly be healing your tank. You should not be healing a whole party. Maybe tossing Hematic Rites out once in a while if you have several melee types clustered around the boss. For example in the Polaris there's the segment where the water is electrified. If your damage dealers are in the water they are DOING IT WRONG. You're supposed to draw the boss to the edge of that area and have people on the edge of the shore where they're not taking damage all the time.

Later on you will encounter more situations where the party can't help but take some damage - the foundry room in Inferno for instance can be tricky. But again, the damage dealers should be going to new platforms before the old ones combust and not taking too much damage.

Eventually you may need to supplement with fist or assault rifle heals. I say that bitterly because I prefer to run blood healing with some blade skills for myself (the martial discipline/regeneration combo is perfect for countering blood sacrifice or if the tank loses aggro...). But blood shields don't stack, whereas fist HoTs do, so when you're spamming shields to build resources it's kind of going to waste. I think blood healing will get a buff eventually but for now, you may need to diversify.
#6semiokmePosted 7/23/2012 8:58:06 AM
Yes and yes.

QL3/4 gear should mean you're barely into tier 2 abilities, if at all. Most of the healing in the game will come from tier 2 abilities, and I know the 'good' or 'staples' for all 3 types are definately from tier 2.

Blood healing, as mentioned, starts out slower than fist or AR. Part of this is because the shields add something, and part of it is because you can use blood abilities, including heals, with no resources by accepting the self-induced DoT.

Also as mentioned, there are very few instances where someone who is not tanking should be taking damage. For these cases a couple AoEs or some passive procs should help, with the occasional targetted finisher. If your group is taking a lot of damage, then something is wrong will how the group is fighting. More than most mmos, healers have to stay on the tank (constant small stream of heals, as builders to a larger one). This makes switching off to fix someone's mistake harder.

The one and only bright side is there are a couple of heals, including one that isn't weapon dependant, which other people can get to take care of themselves. I know it's hard in a pug, but if you're with someone on a regular basis, and they can't avoid the ae, cleave, or fire, then they need to be told to pick up a self heal.
---
Admit it, you only came back to Atlanta for the hat.
#7Ravid182(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2012 1:01:22 PM
Ok thanks guys. Yeah I think a lot of the problem is people standing in AOE stuff like with that boss where the crates you stand on become electrified.

And I don't have any AoE spells yet, wasn't sure so thanks for the advice I just wasn't sure if I was doing osmething totally wrong or if I just need more abilities thanks
#8gildedgirthPosted 7/23/2012 1:02:22 PM
I feel for ya.

My first time (in closed beta) I had a heck of time healing as AR/Blood in Polaris with QL 3 gear (didn't have any QL 4) and I had very few outer circle items, but I was able to do it eventually. (I'm now healing Nightmare dungeons so it's been a learning experience).

A lot really depends on two things: Your DPSers avoid damage and your tank holding agro.

On that last boss in Polaris, make sure you tank avoid cleave and those special attacks.

Here's my big tip: At launch (since I already had been playing in beta) I knew exactly what I needed to heal in Polaris successfully with QL 3 gear.

I was AR/Blood but my main focus was to unlock Cold Blooded, the elite group heal from Blood. Get that, and you're golden. It's such an awesome group heal (Fired Up from Fist is really good alternative, too).

My first priority was unlocked the inner circle from AR and Blood, and after that, I focused all my AP points to unlocking Cold Blooded elite, then I knew I could handle Polaris with just using Blood Shield, Angelic Aegis, and maybe something from the inner circle of AR. Cold Blooded will save you many times.

Inferno:

If you want to heal there, make sure you've got QL 3 BLUE healing items from Polaris.

There's a lot of AOE group damage in Inferno, so now you should try opening up more AR outer healing circle stuff and try to get Platoon ASAP. Great instant moderate healing without having line of sight. Everyone gets healed (like Cold Blooded).

So with both,Cold Blooded and Platoon, you should be good to handle Inferno when the group takes damage, and spam those blood shields and Aegis for tank healing.

You can throw in Hermatic Rites and Linked Veins, too, for some group barrier/healing if you want (these can be handy especially in later dungeon to avoid taking damage)

Platoon and Cold Blooded is great for that last boss fight in Inferno when everyone is so spread apart -- can heal them with those two when they aren't in range.

So in short, for Polaris -- get Cold Blooded ASAP.

For Inferno -- get Platoon (and have QL3 blue gear).
#9semiokmePosted 7/23/2012 1:20:38 PM
Wanted to add a little more background.

Platoon is awesome, I won't deny that. I'm running Fist/AR now, my cabal is working through Elites though I suspect I could heal nightmares.

I ran AR/Blood for a long time, and I enjoyed it. As far as Cold Blooded goes, it's good but I would say I prefer the channeled elite from AR, the name escapes me, but it's a lot of S.T. healing all at once without a finisher and a 20 or 25s CD. I found it more useful on a general basis, since keeping one person up was more important.

That said, the build I was using (Shot of Anima, Anima Shot, Linked Veins, the PBAE Barrier Finisher in blood, the AR Elite Channeled Heal, Platoon, and the Leech Buff, with passives including +leech effects and the every 7th leech procs a groupwide leech) generates a rediculous amount of aggro. It made healing the second Hell instance very difficult, and also made the darkness war (pre-nerf) a bit dicey.
---
Admit it, you only came back to Atlanta for the hat.
#10gildedgirthPosted 7/23/2012 2:26:55 PM
semiokme posted...
Wanted to add a little more background.

Platoon is awesome, I won't deny that. I'm running Fist/AR now, my cabal is working through Elites though I suspect I could heal nightmares.

I ran AR/Blood for a long time, and I enjoyed it. As far as Cold Blooded goes, it's good but I would say I prefer the channeled elite from AR, the name escapes me, but it's a lot of S.T. healing all at once without a finisher and a 20 or 25s CD. I found it more useful on a general basis, since keeping one person up was more important.

That said, the build I was using (Shot of Anima, Anima Shot, Linked Veins, the PBAE Barrier Finisher in blood, the AR Elite Channeled Heal, Platoon, and the Leech Buff, with passives including +leech effects and the every 7th leech procs a groupwide leech) generates a rediculous amount of aggro. It made healing the second Hell instance very difficult, and also made the darkness war (pre-nerf) a bit dicey.

Nice input. That's what I liked about the game, there are so many ways to do things.

For the early stages, I just really fell in love with Cold Blooded and I love it's animation effect, so that's what I went with.

I hear ya about agro. I learned early on that I needed to get subtlety, that ant-threat ability from the Misc line, when I was grouping in PUGs. My regular dungeon group, our tank could hold agro very well so I didn't need it (until NMs), but in PUGs, you don't know what you going to get skill-wise, with the tank.

I, too, ran with AR/Blood for a long time, but once I got to the Elites I felt I had to change things up. Ran with a Blood/Fist build mainly instead of Blood/AR for all the elites, and relied in Fired Up for group heals. Love HoTs with Empowerment and with Pack Leader (or Deadly Aim Pistol buff).

And, now for Nightmares, I have several different healing builds, depending on dungeon and also depending on boss fight, often times running with Pistol/Fist so I can do super-fast burst healing when my 12k to 8k tank gets hits with massive damage, like the Polaris last boss getting hit for 2k-4k damage per hit, plus do some cleanses if no one else brought it along with them.

But for early stages, definitely can do many options for healing, and one build can get you through all the normal level dungeons.

I've seen AR-only, Fist-only, Blood-only healers with no secondary healing weapon (they had a damage weapon), do well as primary healers in normal difficulty Polaris and Inferno (and Darkness War).

To the OP: But at the start, it can be a struggle. Try to get one of those group heal elites and look into getting Subtlety. It's cheap and from the Misc line. It'll save your bacon in groups with a tank who doesn't know how to hold agro well.