rate the civs

#1duffy_alePosted 2/4/2009 6:54:37 AM
Rate the civs, for my game style I see it like that (I never played on line though).

Japanese --> great economy, military and dojos get the things going nonstop
British --> 1 house = 1 villager + Good military
Spanish --> super pikemen, good allround units, decent navy, great boomer
Portuguese --> 1 citycenter every age, excellent dragoons, organs and cašadores
Russian --> tons and tons of men (excellent upgrades from church)
Aztecs --> tons and tons and tons of military, excellent all-round army, can be hard to play agains artillery.
French --> decent cavalry, excellent upgrades from church (27 old gards)
Ottomans --> good military, good upgrades, spawning of villagers can be a turn down
Chinese --> good all-round military, decent economy
Germans --> bad economy, mercenaries
Iroquois --> good all-round but I just do not get them to work army wise
Sioux --> like above, but no siege weapons
Dutch --> slow to start, I never got them to work
Indians --> ok 1 villager every shipment, but nothing really big. Might very well be a good civ but I just don't like them (Nothing against India or Indians, just a gamewise issue)

...what do you folks think?

---
Beauty is skindeep, but ugliness goes down to the bone.
#2MaximoomPosted 2/5/2009 10:32:51 AM
1x1 Maps: Germans or Dutch.
Free for All: France or Dutch.
Team Maps: Germans, France, or Dutch.

I sometimes use Japan or Aztec just for fun.

My opinions:

@ Japanese: not that great economy. Military is only decent while wonders are on, after being destroyed, units are slowly trained and expensive.
75 villagers cap. Shrine Wonder + 20 shrines equals to 2 factorys.
Dojos cant be rebuild.
Wonders cant be rebuild, that means a huge drop in military capability (train speed, hp and damage boost and no daimyos/shogun) just be destroying shogunate or Golden Pavilion, or both.

@ British: great starting eco. Best Navy / Hussard / Musketeer / Grenadier.
99 villagers cap and 2 factorys. Free villager after building manors (that can be enhanced to be instant build and have the same cost of a house).

@ Spanish: i dont like to play with them. Best Pike...
99 villagers cap and 2 factorys.
25% faster shipments.
Missionary auras can enhance any unit attack (land and naval units) up to 63% cumulative (a Hussar can have 90+ attack), stills missionary have the cavalry tag and any ranged cavalry will mop the floor with them or anyother unit with ranged attack.

@ Portuguese: great starting eco. Best Dragoon / Musketeer / X-Bow lol.
6 Town centers cap and 3 Heros.

@ Russian: Super defensive nation. Best Cossack lol.
Can spam infantry and infantry are 25% cheaper (at cost of not earning the veteran boost - 20% hp/atk). Can Spam defensive buildings, can rebuild Forts.

@ Aztec: good navy and able to do a one-time massive infantry spam. Best Healer-Dancer.
99 villager cap and no factorys.
slow moving units, weak to hit-and-run tatics. Even tought the Arrow knight is quite good at countering cannons it is not a cost-effective unit.

@ France: top-end nation. great final-eco. Best Gendarme / Skirmisher / Cannons.
80 courers (equals to 100 villagers) cap and 2 factorys
Second best defensive capacity in the game. 3 forts, extra towers, Team anti-ship.
Can spam Gendarme late game.

60 courers (works like 75 villagers) +140 military units, almost equals dutch in eco and military numbers.

@ Ottomans: fastest civ to reach colonial age. Strongest cavalry in the game (spahi)
99 villagers and 2 factorys.
below average units, except for artillery ones.

@ China: dont like to play with them, i hate swarms of weaker units.
99 villagers and 1 factory.
Weakest units in the game. The coolest hero.
220 population cap.

80 villagers + 140 military units, almost equals dutch in eco and military numbers, except that chinese units are soo freaking weaker but stills.

@ Germans: strong early eco and the strongest final-eco. Strongest ranged cavalry in the game (warwagon)
99 villagers cap, 20 settlers wagon (work like +40 settlers, can be enhanced to 54 settlers worth of work rate) and 2 factorys.
Fast units (infantry 30%, and cavalry 10%) in the game.
Strong mercenaries (+20% atk and hp), specially cavalry (+15% atk).
Highest cavalry attack damage in the game (uhlan and warwagon)
Second fastest civ to reach colonial age, and the fastest to reach Fortress.

Using 20 villagers and 20 settlers wagons (works like 54 villagers when enhanced with the card that gives 35% extra work rate, sorry forgot the name) with 74 pop cost and 140 pop worth of military units. Almost equals dutch on eco and military numbers.

@ Iroquois: very balanced nation.
can spawn travois for free, above average cannon.
Mantlet overpower in matter of pop cost / effective.

@ sioux: the name say everything... joking.
need no houses, fastest cavalry.
#3MaximoomPosted 2/5/2009 10:33:27 AM
@ Dutch: strong eco and insane miitary numbers. Best Hally.
50 villagers, 4 to10 banks and 2 factorys.
Bank at colonial age worth like 6 villagers at a mine (since a villager work at around 0.6 gold/sec without upgrades) , but only 3 villagers at a fully enhanced plantation or mine late game.
It means with 10 banks, the dutch eco will be equal to 80 more or less villagers and 150 pop of military units.
With 8 banks it will be a 75 more or less villagers and 150 military units.

@ Indians: extreme dependant on wood. Faster shipments using the holy cows...
99 villagers no factorys. Camels and Elephants can generate resources... but still a weak eco.
Them have elephants!! thats all.
#4TemoteiPosted 3/5/2009 12:00:45 AM
I like most of the civilizations...but just to note -- the Spanish have a card that allows archaic soldiers to train faster...combine this with the church improvement and fencing school and you have instant train pikemen and crossbowmen. Oh, this is on fast though, so maybe not instant on normal speed. It's like training minutemen, except pikemen aren't useless. ;)
#5TheReaper2491Posted 3/11/2009 12:03:44 PM
Germans --> bad economy, mercenaries

Germany... bad eco? Settler Wagons say hi.

Indians --> ok 1 villager every shipment, but nothing really big. Might very well be a good civ but I just don't like them (Nothing against India or Indians, just a gamewise issue)

You're right. Pre-fan patch, India was only second to Japan in terms of power. Even after the recent nerfs, India is still considered a top civ.

@ Japanese: not that great economy. Military is only decent while wonders are on, after being destroyed, units are slowly trained and expensive.
75 villagers cap. Shrine Wonder + 20 shrines equals to 2 factorys.

You couldn't be any more wrong. Japan has one of the best (if not THE) ecos in the game. You can't base economy on pure theorycrafting. In practice, their economy is really overwhelming, don't be fooled.

Dojos cant be rebuild

Which are nearly useless in competitive play anyway...
---
_/|\_http://i34.tinypic.com/2afjqtu.jpg
»\|/»Official Reaper of PotD