Can't beat AI on Hard. Should I even bother playing Online?

#1Aromatic GrassPosted 8/5/2010 7:46:46 PM
I feel like I will get my butt kicked if I even try playing online, since I can't beat Hard AI.

I can last a while. The AI usually attacks me about twice, and I wipe out their entire fleet each time. Then when I go in, they completely obliterate my army.

I think I'm just playing too slowly. I'm not sure how to play faster... I'm assigning groups and scouting and stuff. It's just, somehow even though I have 15 more workers than the AI has, the AI is gathering hundreds more resources than I am. And, the AI somehow has like 8 ships and 4 of those giant dreadnaught things (sorry, WH40k nerd; whatever it is the Terran have) in the time it takes me to build about 2 of Battlecruiser and Dreadnaught.
---
you'd play it for maybe a week or so then put it in the closet and never look at it again. just like my childhood. why didn't you love me dad? why? superblah750
#2Teen Girl SquadPosted 8/5/2010 7:51:12 PM
You just need a little more "directed" practice. By that I mean you need to learn/practice some techniques that may see a bit tedious but will help tremendously down the road. Star with this:

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/27/starcraft-ii-macro-101.aspx

And then follow the sticky on this forum. Just following the above link should help you exponentially on hard difficulty.
---
"Hockey fans usually have names like Lenny while Nba fans have names like Carl." - room temperature
#3Venator006Posted 8/5/2010 7:51:31 PM
You are gonna get your butt kicked sooner or later online, may as well get it over with. Just watch replays, your own and others, and learn from your mistakes. Play smarter before you play faster.
#4AMonkeyPosted 8/5/2010 7:52:31 PM
Play co op play. Watching what a good partner is doing and fighting the AI is a good way to learn if you don't want to start vs other players.
#5FantomRellPosted 8/5/2010 7:56:27 PM
most of the people who play this game online are actually pretty bad. Trust me, just jump into it. Hard computers are probably going to be able to beat most of the players you meet online.

Plus, matchmaking and all.
---
-Rell
#6AbaddonGolemPosted 8/5/2010 7:56:56 PM
I was the same way since this is my first SC game. I did two practice rounds with AI then went online. I'm 4 and 4 so far. just get into a game and have fun with it. The game is too fun not to jump into MP.
---
Dual core @2.40 ghz 2gb Ram Gtx 295
#7dragonx500Posted 8/5/2010 7:57:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the higher difficulty levels cheat to get so much resources - with the all in rush strategies they tend to use, I don't see how they couldn't end up with a crippled economy.
---
Some trolls aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some trolls just wanna watch the forums burn.
#8the_rowanPosted 8/5/2010 8:01:37 PM
I'm pretty sure the higher difficulty levels cheat to get so much resources - with the all in rush strategies they tend to use, I don't see how they couldn't end up with a crippled economy.

Only Insane cheats for extra money (workers gather more per trip). The campaign AI, at least in Brood War, cheats way harder since it will just get money injections from nowhere.

The other hard AIs just have perfect macro up until their scripts start to get more fuzzy.
---
"That is why war is so tragic. To win means to make victims of your opponents and give birth to hatred." - Kratos Aurion, Tales of Symphonia
#9JoebearPosted 8/5/2010 8:05:11 PM
I dont think the AI plays like most players do. I struggle with hard AI I can beat them sometimes but sometimes not, yet I do better against people in the gold league
---
Brawl FC: 4339-2162-9268
COD FC: 2965- 3090- 9757
#10xtacbPosted 8/5/2010 8:06:57 PM
go proxy cannon the AI, now u can beat Insane AI!
---
WoW: Talho #11 top warrior dps on 25 Saurfang and Festergut *WorldWide* and #1 world BPC, as of 4/7/10
http://www.wowmeteronline.com/rank/clazz/dps/war/9/0/3