I'm disabled, and I just sent Blizzard the following email

#1skyhopper88Posted 8/17/2010 2:41:09 AM
"Because of cerebral palsy, I only have use of one hand. I am limited to either using only the keyboard OR only the mouse at one time. As such, RTS games are difficult for me though I enjoy them. I had to cheat my way through Brood War since switching from mouse to keyboard or using only one or the other exclusively slows me down. I have also never been able to play competitively online (my APM is abysmal).

However I discovered that Windows 7 has a customizable speech recognition tool. Using it I could tie spoken phrases to in game hotkeys (building buildings, units, abilities, control groups, etc etc).

I was wondering if using this tool for accessibility reasons would be condoned on Battlenet/Single Player. I understand that this is essentially marcroing which is frowned upon. However, these macros are triggered by my voice and in essence are no more automated than the in game hotkeys if I had full use of my other hand for use with the keyboard while my good hand is on the mouse."

Wonder what they'll say, lol. If they don't condone it, I wonder if I'm above sending in the exchange to websites and such. You know, ADA and all that, lol. But seriously, I'm really torn here.

And for those of you that suck at starcraft, at least you aren't me, ya?
---
"Ford you're turning into a penguin, stop it!" ~ Arthur Dent, Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
#2AP3BrainPosted 8/17/2010 2:51:11 AM
Your speech to text program must be very good to type all that with perfect grammar. Or maybe you typed it all with one hand?

But yeah they should have tools like those for at least single player. I am not sure how it would work in multiplayer though. Good luck though.
#3TamericPosted 8/17/2010 2:54:44 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4Z11DragonOpsPosted 8/17/2010 2:54:54 AM
#5skyhopper88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2010 2:56:21 AM
Nah, I'm typing by hand (3 finger peck). Blizzard doesn't need to do anything themselves, just not ban me for doing something like this myself.

And lol @ troll.
---
"Ford you're turning into a penguin, stop it!" ~ Arthur Dent, Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
#6skyhopper88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2010 2:57:43 AM
Damn, took too long to type that reply. Make that trolls.
---
#7Z11DragonOpsPosted 8/17/2010 2:58:10 AM
trolls?
---
Its far easier and more satisfying to seize a great power than to create one. Diamond FC: 3995-3364-6624
#8Glazed_DonutPosted 8/17/2010 3:03:37 AM
#9skyhopper88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2010 3:08:57 AM
#10skyhopper88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2010 3:14:41 AM
Really TC? Either stop playing RTS or just go away because no one is going to cater to the minors.

How exactly do I need to be catered to when I'm the only one who has to do anything exactly? I'm not asking them to change the game here, it's all on my end. Sheesh you people are negative. Next you'll be telling me I can't drive! I can't without corrective lenses actually, because I'm also blind in half of each eye. But I have these nifty glasses that fix that problem. But I guess assistive technology is hearsay here on the internet. Sorry to encroach on all you normies.
*sniff*
---