I'm disabled, and I just sent Blizzard the following email

#61TamericPosted 8/17/2010 8:07:16 AM

Actually, yes they do. It's called the Americans with Disabilities Act -- ADA, for short. Last I checked, the legislation applies to all businesses and government institutions.

That is about being an employee at a business or going to a business like having wheelchair ramps on the sidewalk of a McDonald's.

But a product from the business is held accountable to none of the guidelines in the ADA. Which is why you don't see what the OP is whining for more often. They cater to the majority, not the minority.
---
http://www.cubeupload.com/files/55800bestmodoverturnevar.png
#62xDarknezzxPosted 8/17/2010 8:08:25 AM
tag
---
smug - thesanchize, MangoPirate, Jirilicious, disruptive1name
#63MingOfMenziesPosted 8/17/2010 8:09:56 AM
Lol at internet "srz bznizz" types, too afraid to even pick on a disabled person IRL, and hafta do it on a message board. LOL!

Go for it Skyhopper! (assuming yr not pulling one over on us, of course) I remember a Rainbow 6 game on the first Xbox that handled a shocking number of fairly complex voice commands.

Like someone said, prolly, can't say: "Barracks, Marine" but could prolly hotkey barracks to 8, and then say "8, A" to get the same thing.

Hope something works out for you.
#64VordraxPosted 8/17/2010 8:12:59 AM
But a product from the business is held accountable to none of the guidelines in the ADA. Which is why you don't see what the OP is whining for more often. They cater to the majority, not the minority.

I suppose you similarly complained when Blizzard helped setup a raid for the kid from the Make-a-Wish Foundation too? "He didn't EAAAAAARN those loots! Blizzard's catering to casuals!"

---
99% of internet signatures don't end abruptly. If yours is one of the 1% that do, copy and
#65FgonPosted 8/17/2010 8:15:05 AM
Well at least he got some help, I've managed to get the voice recognition to work quite will on Win 7.

Oh and "Hi Digg!"
#66ecs33Posted 8/17/2010 8:24:08 AM

It's really only catering to the minority over the majority when such actions would require a change for the majority.

In this case an exception needs to be made for the individual. This does not significantly cut into business at all and should be OK.

From Blizz's "business" POV, they could use stories like this to increase their rep as a caring company, and as a result they will gain more credibility at a small cost. Things like this could turn into good feedback which absolutely helps them in the marketing department.

#67Korvin13Posted 8/17/2010 8:24:17 AM
get the razer naga... or better, something like the Logitech G13 (preferably if you're left handed), and set the hotkeys to grid layout. I know someone who only has one hand, and I know it sucks. He still enjoys starcraft.
#68lVlAtlZiXPosted 8/17/2010 8:25:06 AM
I dont get at all why he can't play the game with just a mouse? I suck at RTS gms as well, and I only use the keyboard for moving the camera around, you can do that with the mouse as well, so I don't see why its an issue.
#69skyhopper88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2010 8:59:32 AM
Yeah, the naga is on my list. As are
http://warmouse.com/ (18 buttons, bit overkill haha)
http://www.sandiotech.com/sandio_product.php (this one has joysticks that would be perfect for WASD movement games, plus each direction can be a key as well. Leaning towards it.

Love the DIY USB easy button idea. Switches and such are something I've rarely considered, but it would fit my limited ability to slap my left hand around pretty well

As for trackballs, I'm used to only seeing the generic one with two or three buttons, but this one has 12 and looks really nice
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=trackball&cid=12064331829209160046&ei=r6xqTOWRKpKywwWshND9DQ&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p
Shame it costs more than my graphics card lol. I'll look around more for those

the Logitech G13 is neat, albeit left handed. Plus I'd still need the mouse. A trackball on that would be good though. As unlucky as I may be, there's tons of assistive technology out there, be it gaming, driving, whatever. Could be wose, coulda been born in the olden days and beened stoned. Or dropped off a Spartan cliff. Plus, no games!

Thanks to all your kind words and suggestions. Some I knew about, some I didn't. I wish I could try a lot of these out so I could find what works, and retail doesn't have a lot of suff like this out. Like segways. Need to try that sometime too.

And to all you "individuals" that have been "less than hospitable", know this. If you had acted like that to me or anyone I know, disabled or not, I woulda been tempted to shove my good palm into the bridge of your nose. And it would have hurt, alot. That side of my body is toned like no other since it's all I use pretty much.

With that out of the way:
""We have no issue with you using Windows 7speech recognition tool."
w00t

I dont get at all why he can't play the game with just a mouse? I suck at RTS gms as well, and I only use the keyboard for moving the camera around, you can do that with the mouse as well, so I don't see why its an issue.

Speed mostly. I'd like to at least try to compete. All I ever did in SC1 was UMS
---
"Ford you're turning into a penguin, stop it!" ~ Arthur Dent, Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
#70GF LamerPosted 8/17/2010 9:04:49 AM
lol, Reddit shoutouts. I thought we learned from that a few days ago. x_o

OT: Glad to hear you can use the voice recognition, TC. Ignore the bad kids.
---
Lamer | http://www.justin.tv/rklamerx