What counters a toss rushing for carriers/mothership (PvP)?

#1Macs_ftwPosted 9/9/2010 11:09:09 AM
I scouted him and noticed an early stargate, so I started making stalkers/phoenixes. By the time out armies clashed, he had a couple carriers and a mothership, and I just didn't have enough stalkers/nixes to take them out.

I tried getting an observer over there but his base was surrounding by cannons. Should I of just immediately attacked with my zealots/stalkers already built? The reason I didn't do so was because it was on the map with the huge gap in the middle and you have to go around the sides to get to the bases. Most people play a lot of air on the map. Or just be more efficient with building?
---
I hate creampuffs.
#2texasrenegadePosted 9/9/2010 11:10:39 AM
while not a big fan, I would think void rays against a mother ship.
#3krismagusPosted 9/9/2010 11:11:46 AM
How did he get massive cannons, and manage to get carriers and mothership that beat the army you said you had?

That hole in the middle of the map was not of the map, my boy.

It was the hole in your plot.
---
GT and PSN: Krismagus777
Medically normal....Genetically different
#4hocuspokuzPosted 9/9/2010 11:12:20 AM
I play zerg and I'm not gonna lie... when I get hit with a carrier mothership combo, its usually a gg for me... Even good micro with an army of corruptors doesn't work cause you lose them so fast before you can even start attacking the carriers....
---
HehE
GT: Doodanky
#5DoramiPosted 9/9/2010 11:14:13 AM
Phoenixes do 2*(5+5 light). They're not effective against heavily armored air that's not light, such as mothership, carrier, BC, corruptor, and broodlords. They can snipe out broodlords because they can't fight back, but they take very long to kill each. They do well against vikings beause vikings start with 0 armor and have low hp.

Void ray is your best bet, because unlike BCs, a carrier fleet can't quickly yamato down half your VR fleet to prevent those from charging.

Other way is, of course, to mass ground and overrun him, since capital ships are very expensive to tech to and build.
#6master_theifPosted 9/9/2010 11:14:49 AM
Well I just started out, so my macro isn't the best. He only had 2-3 carries, and half my army was zealots due to accidentally warping them or the ones I built before/while scouting out. The angles I tried sending my observers at had cannons, so when I saw them they saw me and it'd get pummeled.

But yes, of course the hole was in my strat.
---
OPINIONS! EVERYWHERE!
#7RJDoutePosted 9/9/2010 11:16:43 AM
4gate. Learn it, love it, do it on almost all PvP.
#8master_theifPosted 9/9/2010 11:18:03 AM
4gates is a lot >_>

What's the BO for that?
---
OPINIONS! EVERYWHERE!
#9fentoozlerPosted 9/9/2010 11:21:48 AM
When someone is surrounding their base with cannons, you know they aren't expanding. Unless you are on a BGH kind of money map, that means your opponent is not going to have a whole lot of minerals for his army...and especially not any resources to quickly reinforce it. You should have expanded a few times and built up a decent sized ground army to contain him while getting void rays. Making sure that the player stays in one base will guarantee your victory if you manage to expand everywhere. Even if he wipes your whole army out in his first push, you should have enough money to start rebuilding it before he manages to find all kill all of your expansions.

tl;dr Contain him and expand like crazy. Win by starving him of necessary resources for reinforcements.
#10hocuspokuzPosted 9/9/2010 11:25:02 AM
BGH Money Maps? This is SC2!
---
HehE
GT: Doodanky