Frequenly Asked Questions V3: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

#1A_Nonny_MoosePosted 12/7/2007 1:39:23 PMmessage detail
This topic will not deal with gameplay mechanics, how to beat specific modes (Sim Dragon, etc), how to best customize your characters, or anything heavily linked with gameplay. This is for general information that you might not know so the board doesn't get flooded with repeat topics about how to get a certain tournament and so on. The few gameplay things I do mention are those that seem to be poorly explained in the game itself. If you do have more detailed questions about gameplay aspects, check this site out first, it might help...

http://anime.geocities.jp/dbzsmjpng/index.html

Contents:

Section 1 - About Dragon History
1 - A: Is it supposed to be this short?
1 - B: How do I get the “If” battles?

Section 2 - About World Tour Mode
2 - A: Can I unlock anything by playing the free mode tournaments?
2 - B: At what times are the different tournaments available?
2 - C: How do I select the difficulty?
2 - D: Can I pick what character to use in the Yamcha Games?

Section 3 - About the Dragonballs
3 - A: How do I get them?
3 - B: How do I summon Shenron/Porunga/Red Shenron?
3 - C: Which Dragon grants which wishes?
3 - D: Kiai Ko’s guide to collecting the Dragonballs

Section 4 - About Ultimate Battle Mode
4 - A: What is the “???” below Mission 100 and how do I get it?
4 - B: How do I get more battles for Mission 100?

Section 5 - About Disc Fusion
5 - A: What is it and what do I get for completing it?
5 - B: Does it work on the PS3?
5 - C: Do I need Disc Fusion to get 100% potaras?

Section 6 - About Z Evolution
6 - A: Can I max out my character’s stats like in BT2?
6 - B: How do I increase my health?
6 - C: How do I get “X” item?
6 - D: Special items
6 - E: How do I increase my character’s equipment slots?
6 - F: What do the purple potaras do?
6 - G: Is it true that I can change my character’s aura?
6 - H: What does the “-1/2/3 Power” attribute on some items mean
6 - I: How do I get the red potaras?

Section 7 - About Password Characters
7 - A: How do I make a password character?
7 - B: How do use password characters?
7 - C: How do I battle characters on my memory card against characters on another memory card?

Section 8 - About Z Points
8 - A: What do I need them for and how do I get them?

Section 9 - About blowing up planets
9 - A: Can I still blow up the levels?

Section 10 - About Unlocking Things
10 - A: Characters
10 - B: Stages
10 - C: Music

Section 11 - A Few Gameplay Hints
11 - A: Fusion
11 - B: What is Z Burst Attack?
---
I am an genius
Currently Playing: DBZ BT3, Comix Zone, Sonic The Hedgehog 2
#2A_Nonny_Moose(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2007 1:39:56 PMmessage detail
SECTION 1 - ABOUT DRAGON HISTORY:

A) Is it supposed to be this short?

Yes, it is supposed to be that short. If you're thinking that maybe some of the battles were left out because you did something wrong, don't worry, you haven't. The story mode is just a lot shorter than BT2's.

B) How do I get the "If" battles?

They are unlocked by simply completing the rest of story mode, you do not need to do anything special in a particular battle to obtain the "If" battles. After you complete the first "If" battle, you will get the second one, and so on. There are 4 in total.

SECTION 2 - ABOUT WORLD TOUR MODE:

A)Can I unlock anything by playing the free mode tournaments?

Nope.

B)At what times are the different tournaments available?

Unless you pick the free mode, tournaments are only available one at a time, at the following times, based on the in-game clock. If you’re trying to get a specific tournament, just exit and re-enter World Tour Mode to make the clock go forward 1 hour. Do this until the tournament you want shows up.

World Tournament (Tenkaichi Budokai): From 7:00 to 12:00
Mr. Satan Games: From 13:00 to 18:00
Cell Games: From 19:00 to 23:00
Otherworld Tournament: From 0:00 to 4:00
Yamcha Games: From 5:00 to 6:00

C)How do I select the difficulty?

The difficulty, as indicated by the number of stars on the Dragonball when you pick a tournament, is always random, there's nothing you can do about it. (this info from Tony_Biggie_Punn) However, once a tournament comes along, it will have a set difficulty that will not change until the next time the tournament comes around. So if the Cell Games has level 2 difficulty, but you want level 3, you will have to wait a whole in-game day and try again. For this reason, it is best to save the game before the tournament you want arrives, and then if the difficulty isn't what you wanted, you can load the game and try again.

D)Can I pick what character to use in the Yamcha Games?

No. If you don’t get a character you want, just exit and re-enter the tournament until you do.
---
I am an genius
#3A_Nonny_Moose(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2007 1:40:38 PMmessage detail
SECTION 3 - ABOUT THE DRAGONBALLS:

A) How do I get them?

The Dragonballs are found during story mode battles by smashing through the buildings/rocks/anything destructible in the level. When you find one it will appear between the health bars. Some good places to find them are the last battle of the Android Saga and the Garlic Jr fight. You can also get them by winning tournaments in World Tour mode, although I'm not sure if you get one every time.

B) How do I summon Shenron/Porunga/Red Shenron?

Once you have all 7 Dragonballs, the Shenron option will appear in the main menu. Now, which dragon you get is random, although it seems you have to finish the GT segment of Dragon History before Red Shenron will appear. So, save your game before you summon Shenron, and if you get a dragon you don't want, just make your wish/wishes, don't save, and the re-load.

C) Which Dragon grants which wishes?

Earth Shenron (1 Wish):
10’000 Z-Points
[Character] Future Gohan
[Stage] Desert (Day)
[Stage] Mt. Paozu

Porunga (3 Wishes):
5’000 Z-Points
[Potara] Ring of Brolly
[Potara] Blessing of Water
[Potara] Eternal Life
[Potara] Aura (SSJ)
[Potara] Aura (SSJ3)
[Potara] Aura (SSJ4)

Red Shenron:
50’000 Z-Points
[Stage] Kid Chi-Chi
[Stage] Capital City (Demon King Piccolos Castle)
[Stage] Penguin Village.
---
I am an genius
#4OmegaGamer2Posted 12/7/2007 1:40:50 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5A_Nonny_Moose(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2007 1:41:25 PMmessage detail
D) KIAI KO’S GUIDE TO COLLECTING THE DRAGONBALLS:(credit to Kiai Ko, obviously)

I've taken the time of writing down this guide on how I think it's easiest to get the Dragonballs.
But in order to follow this FAQ you have to have completed the Android Saga. Or at least have the last fight (Future Peace).
I've written this so that everyone can understand it, even if they just got the game. So I've written it step, by step.

-In this game you get the Dragon Balls by rushing (L2+X) into a destructible objects in the environment. When you do so, there is a chance of getting a Dragon Ball. If you get a Dragon Ball, it will be shown in the upper center of the screen, right below the HUD.

-As far as I know there isn't a Dragonball in every battle in the game. But if you follow this FAQ you will be sure to get a Dragonball, since there is apparently ALWAYS a Dragonball in this battle.
-Also, it is very important that you DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let your opponent destroy any of the environment, because if he/she does so, there is a chance that your opponent will get the Dragonball, instead of you. And if your opponent does, you do not get a message about it, you don't even know if your opponent has the Dragon Ball. So be careful knocking your opponent through destructible objects if you are going to get the Dragonballs.

-If you follow this FAQ you will almost be sure to have all the Dragon Balls in about 30 minutes. But that is if you're used to the game. If you're new, and don't fight so good, this may take a while. But if you are comfortable with playing this game, it will only take about 30 minutes to get all the Dragonballs.
-You can also try changing the difficulty so it's on Easy, that way you can probably do it faster, although you get fewer Z-Points after completing this mission.

-In order to get the Dragon Balls do the following:
-Go into Dragon History.
-Go into the Android Saga.
-Go to the last fight (Future Peace, Future Fighting Trunks vs Cell Base Form).
When the fight starts, press L2 and X and press in the direction you want to fly.
-Fly through all the buildings you can find, until you see a Dragonball, below the HUD (Health and so on).
-Just ignore Cell until you get a Dragonball.
-Once you get the Dragon Ball, just start beating on Cell.
-Once you can press R3, do it as fast as possible.
-You transform to Super Saiyan and just keep fighting until you can press R3 again.
-Once you do, you'll complete the battle.
-You then receive 1000 Z-Points and a Dragonball. (You can get more or less Z-Points, by changing the difficulty. This is stated as if it was on Normal).

(Hi, A_Nonny_Moose here. Just one thing, it may be just the PAL version of the game that does this, but whenever you get a Dragonball from that battle, it will be the one star ball. But don’t worry, getting the one star ball 7 times still counts as getting all 7 balls.)

-Keep doing that until you get all 7 Dragonballs. (Which means, you should fight that battle 7 times, since there can only be one Dragonball in each battle).
---
I am an genius
#6A_Nonny_Moose(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2007 1:41:51 PMmessage detail
-Once you have all 7 Dragonballs save the game IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO SAVE THE GAME. Once you have saved, go into the Main Menu, and scroll down until you see the “Shenron” option next to a picture of the Dragonballs.
-Click it to summon Shenron, if you don't get Earth Shenron (The Green long Dragon), then just take a wish, BUT DON'T SAVE!
-Reload the game (Go into options and load).
-Try to summoning Shenron again, until you get the Earth Shenron. Once you get Earth Shenron, pick the wish Future Gohan, and then you have him.

-This was for instance how to get Future Gohan (by summoning Earth Shenron).
The tactics don't change for getting the different Dragons. So if you want Porunga (The Namekian Shenron), but get Earth Shenron, just make a wish, DON'T SAVE, go to optons, load the game, and then try to summon Shenron again and hope for Porunga.

-Also, important note, there are some rumours going on that you can only get Red Shenron after you complete the game. I don't know if this is true, but I do know that Red Shenron is the most uncommon dragon to get.
---
I am an genius
#7A_Nonny_Moose(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2007 1:42:55 PMmessage detail
SECTION 4 - ABOUT ULTIMATE BATTLE MODE:

A) What is the "???" below Mission 100 and how do I get it?

The "???" is Survival mode, and to unlock it you need to complete 30 battles in Mission 100 mode. Survival Mode has 3 survival matches, each one with 50 back to back battles. You regain 1 health bar every time you defeat an opponent.

B) How do I get more battles for Mission 100?

To do this, you must play Sim Dragon mode. In this mode, you must win at least the first battle, and then select the explore option. Sometimes while exploring, you will run into Bulma. If you give her some of your points (you won't have any at first, which is why you need to do at least one battle) then she will unlock 5 more fights in Mission 100. She will unlock 5 more battles each time you pay her.

SECTION 5 - ABOUT DISC FUSION:

A) What is it and what do I get for completing it?

The disc fusion unlocks a mode from the past Budokai Tenkaichi games depending on which game you use.

The BT1 disc fusion unlocks the ranking battle from that game. It's basically the same mode (you start at 100 and work up to 1) but with BT3's gameplay and character roster (info from Nauske).

The BT2 disc fusion unlocks 5 course battles similar to the Ultimate Battle Z mode of that game. You get 5 themed battles against up to 8 opponents that you must face with one character. It works like survival mode, where get 1 health bar back for everyone you defeat.

The data from the Disc Fusion modes can be saved, but the mode itself isn't saved, so you'll have redo the disc fusion to continue your progress if you reset or turn off your PS2 before finishing the mode.

B) Does it work on the PS3?

(info from redpheonix) The disc fusion does work on 60gig PS3's for sure. But the other models I'm not certain about. If you've experienced problems on your 60gig PS3, make sure that you followed the directions properly, that the firmware is updated, or that your PS3 isn't just broken in some way.

However, some people with 60gig PS3's have said it still doesn't work, so who knows?

C) Do I need to do Disc Fusion to get 100% potaras?

The two potaras gained through the disc fusion modes do not count towards the 100% potara completion.
---
I am an genius
#8A_Nonny_Moose(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2007 1:43:46 PMmessage detail
SECTION 6 - About Evolution Z:

A) Can I max out my character’s stats like in BT2?

No you can't. This time the blue potaras only go up to +3, and are only used for attack, defence, ki (boosts your ki charge speed) and super (increases special move damage). There are also no yellow potaras equivalent to Kiss of #18 or Title Tenkaichi. There is still an item called Kiss of #18, but it only increases Dragon Homing and Vanishing Attacks by +2. Also be aware that an item can take up more than one slot, and if you don't enough slots open you will not be able to use certain items.

B) How can I increase my health?

You can. The items Master Roshi's Training takes up 2 slots and adds 1 bar of health. The item King Kai's Training takes up 4 slots and adds 2 bars of health.

C) How do I get "X" item?

As you progress through the game, more items become available in the item shop. If you can't find an item in the shop, then you either have not progressed far enough, or it is a special item that can only be gained through a certain mode, or by wishing it from Porunga. The items that Porunga gives you are listed in the Dragonball section of this faq.

D) Special Items (thanks to theboar for suggesting this section)

-Perfect Guard: Obtained for beating 50 fights in Mission 100 mode. Take no damage while guarding. Takes up 2 slots (info from _Val_)
-Quick Charge: Obtained for beating all 100 battles in Mission 100 mode. Makes chargeable attacks (kamehameha, etc) charge faster. Takes up 1 slot (info from XcradowX).
-Combo Master: Obtained for completing ??? amount of fights in survival mode. Sorry about the lack of info. I know you do not need to finish all 50 fights to get it. I've heard as little as 19 fights can do it. I also don't know for sure if you can only get it from the Bardock survival mode, but I doubt it. It increases the damage your attacks do as you build up a combo. Once the combo ends, your attack damage resets. Takes up 1 slot.
-#18's Kiss: Obtained for beating all 7 fights in Sim Dragon. Gives you +2 Dragon Homing and +2 Vanishing Attack. Takes up 7 slots.
-#17's Scarf: Obtained for beating the BT1 disc fusion ranking battle. Increases your resistance to ki and melee attacks (stops you being by flinched by most attacks), and increase your ability to flinch other characters (giants, LSSJ Broli, etc), Defence -1. Takes up 7 slots (info from theboar).
-Medical Machine: Obtained for beating the BT2 Disc Fusion battles (Z grade not needed). Regenerates health and ki for you and your team mates. Takes up 7 slots.
Lunch's Support - Obtained for having 100% potara completion, not including the items obtained for completing the disc fusion modes. Increases Z Points earned for fighting, increases ki charge rate. Takes up 2 slots (info from theboar).

E) How do I increase my characters equipment slots?

Most characters have 3 or 4 slots open by default, and all characters have a max of 7 slots. To open the rest of the slots will need to spend your Z Points on them. Choose a character in the from the Character Customization menu, and it will be the option below Password. It will cost around 20'000 Z Points to open all the slots for any given character.

F) What do the purple Potaras do?

These only come into effect when you're character is being controlled by the CPU. If you want your character to fight a certain way, then equip them with the respective purple potara. Purple potaras can only be equipped in the bottom slot, and this slot can only be use for purple potaras.
---
I am an genius
#9A_Nonny_Moose(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2007 1:44:03 PMmessage detail
G) Is it true I can change my character’s aura?

Yes. There are items called Aura Chargers available in the item shop which change a characters aura colour (not while charging ki though). There are also Aura Charge: Ultimates to give character SSJ auras (without the lighting for SSJ3), and these must be wished for from Porunga.

H) What does the “-1/2/3 Power” attribute on some items mean?

For some reason, Spike decided to refer to the ki stat as either ki, power, or ki power. “-1 Power” means the same as “-1 Ki”, in that it will decrease the damage your regular ki blasts do, and decrease the speed at which you charge ki.

I) How can I get the red potaras?

Red Potaras can increase all your stats and give multiple other effects, but there is no legitimate way to get them in the game. They are only accessible through passwords. The following topics are your best bet (hopefully they haven't been purged)...

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=939644&topic=39540540

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=939644&topic=39490021

Using passwords from BT2 in BT3 also creates red potara characters. Which red potara they have equipped may change depending on their setup, but I’m not sure as I haven’t tested it.
---
I am an genius
#10A_Nonny_Moose(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2007 1:44:59 PMmessage detail
SECTION 7 - ABOUT PASSWORD CHARACTERS:

A) How do I make a password character?

Once you have customized a character (to any extent), you can use the password option in Evolution Z to get their password, which you can give out to others so they can fight your character.

B) How can I use password characters?

Once you have successfully entered a password in the Data Center, you can choose that character from the little ABC box in the character select screen. Password characters can only be used in Duel mode and training.

C) How do I battle characters on my memory card against characters on another memory card?

Sorry, but it seems you can't do that in this game.

SECTION 8 - ABOUT Z POINTS:

A)What do I need them for and how do I get them?

You'll need Z points to buy Z Items and equipment slots, and you come by them pretty easily. They can be acquired in almost every mode, and you get about 2'500-3'000 per fight on average. Each of the Dragons can also give you Z Points if you wish for them. Shenron can give you 10'000 points, Red Shenron can give you 50'000 points, and Porunga can give you 5'000 points, which you can wish for 3 times if you want. The mode that seems to be best for collecting Z Points is the BT1 Disc Fusion ranking battle, as I have heard you can earn 200'000+ points for completing it.

SECTION 9 - ABOUT BLOWING UP PLANETS:

A)Can I still blow up the levels?

Yes you can still do it. Watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qaYwi3xbiQ&feature=related

The conditions for blowing up the planet are

-Must take a character below 20,000 health.
-Target must survive.
-Must be on a stage that can be destroyed.
-Move must be able to destroy a stage.

All credit for this goes to Omega2040.
---
I am an genius