The Gap Between Characters

#1PelicanDynastyPosted 6/23/2013 7:58:38 PM
After playing for a few hours I've realized that some characters are flat out better than others, the good characters are those that were strong in the manga/anime. But I've been playing Appule and he seems to be really good. Is he an excpeption to the rule, or will I get destroyed if I try to play as him against other people?
#2dotsnackerPosted 6/24/2013 12:14:40 AM(edited)
Generally speaking, there are quite a few characters that you might consider at first to be "bad", but actually have some interesting combo variations/speeds that can throw people off. It's been a while since I played as Appule, but I think I've won almost every time I've used him online, so I think he's pretty decent(not even remotely close to top tier, but maybe around mid tier... errr, maybe, I'd have to actually check him out again).

Try the following characters:

Cell Jr.
Saibaman
King Vegeta
King Cold
Kid Chi Chi
Slug(Normal -- I've never really used his Giant version so I don't know much about that)
Devilman
Nam

Just to name off a few(I mainly named off ones that I never really see online). They are all pretty decent. Some of them are much better than you might suspect, although it may take a while to figure out how.

EDIT:
To answer your question, I doubt you would stand a chance if the person you were playing against used a better character, on top of being about as skilled as you.

Granted, there are different kinds of skill too, such as knowledge about both characters, knowledge of defensive and movement options available to both of you, as well as knowledge of how to force your opponent into doing something that puts them at a disadvantage(such as wasting ki, wasting blast stocks, etc...)

So there's a chance you guys could be even in most areas, but you could be slightly better at one of them and gain the advantage as a result. However, if you're more skilled than your opponents in general, then you should be able to win almost all of your matches, even if your opponent is using better characters.
---
Brawl FC - 2019-9629-5331
#3PelicanDynasty(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 7:40:11 AM
Thanks for the tips. I think I can stick with mid tier for the time being, I just didn't want to find out he was in the crap tier after customizng him and stuff. He doesn't seem to flinch as much as some characters, but maybe that's my imagination. I wanted to try Saibaman, but I saw that his ultimate blows himself up. So does that mean he dies or just loses a lot of health? Suicide seems like it would be completely useless, even in team matches.
#4dotsnackerPosted 6/24/2013 9:23:47 AM
PelicanDynasty posted...
Thanks for the tips. I think I can stick with mid tier for the time being, I just didn't want to find out he was in the crap tier after customizng him and stuff. He doesn't seem to flinch as much as some characters, but maybe that's my imagination. I wanted to try Saibaman, but I saw that his ultimate blows himself up. So does that mean he dies or just loses a lot of health? Suicide seems like it would be completely useless, even in team matches.

Almost all "suicide" attacks automatically set your character down to 1 HP(Tien's is an exception to this rule, and there might be another character out there that is as well... I don't remember though).

Suicide ultimates tend to do full damage no matter what. So even if you have a small amount of HP, or a lot of HP, you'll do full damage anyways. The only exception to this rule(at least, from what I can remember) is Tien's ultimate, which takes a chunk of his HP away every time he fires it off for extra damage. So if you're low on HP, he wont do full damage with his ultimate.

Here's some advice for you(assuming you don't know how to already):

Learn how to combo efficiently, learn how to defend against every kind of attack, and learn movement techniques. Learning how to combo efficiently will get rid of your need to rely on supers or ultimates(making supers/ultimates more useful for that extra push, but not necessary to actually win), learning how to defend against every kind of attack will seriously help as you encounter more people(spammers and skilled players alike), and movement techs add a lot more depth to everything. You can ask people here for specific info, so that you're not overwhelmed.

It's entirely up to you as to whether you want to take it or not(obviously), so I'm not going to insist that you do so. However, should you choose to I'm sure that you will end up enjoying the game much more.
---
#5PelicanDynasty(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 1:02:41 PM
Yeah, I haven't used very many special attacks, I've always been a defense firsy guy, so I've been trying to dodge around and get in a few hits, run away and start again. It seems to work against the AI. Maybe I'm seeing things wrong but a lot of ultimates do only a little more than the supers, so do they really have a use outside of being cool? And is there a defense stat in this game? I know giants take less damage from melee, but is there a difference among the normal guys?
#6dotsnackerPosted 6/24/2013 1:23:25 PM
PelicanDynasty posted...
Yeah, I haven't used very many special attacks, I've always been a defense firsy guy, so I've been trying to dodge around and get in a few hits, run away and start again. It seems to work against the AI. Maybe I'm seeing things wrong but a lot of ultimates do only a little more than the supers, so do they really have a use outside of being cool? And is there a defense stat in this game? I know giants take less damage from melee, but is there a difference among the normal guys?

There are natural stats for Attack, Defense, Super/Ultimate power(I'm gonna call them B2's/UB's from now on), Ki charging speed, movement speed, combo speed, etc... and it's generally different for all characters. There are even transformations that are less powerful than their base forms in some stats.

As far as UB strength is concerned... can you give me an example? I'd start up the game right now, but I'm in the middle of something else. >..>
---
#7PelicanDynasty(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 2:55:17 PM
Okay, I did a bit of testing with Appule, and his special attacks do 75% of a bar and the ultimate does 125%. But why not use two energy waves in a row instead of one ultimate one. I didn't try it myself, I rushed the test, but that should do more, right? On the topic of stats, how do I see them for each character?
#8dotsnackerPosted 6/24/2013 4:21:30 PM
PelicanDynasty posted...
Okay, I did a bit of testing with Appule, and his special attacks do 75% of a bar and the ultimate does 125%. But why not use two energy waves in a row instead of one ultimate one. I didn't try it myself, I rushed the test, but that should do more, right? On the topic of stats, how do I see them for each character?

Unfortunately, there is no way to see what specific stats a character has. At least, not to my knowledge. But it's a fact that they DO have their own stats, because some charge ki faster than others, or do more Super/Ultimate damage than others, or take more/less damage than others, and so on.

Anyways, I decided to do some testing of my own. Here are the results(10000 = 1 bar of HP):

~Appule VS Goku[Early]~
B2 #1 - Energy Wave = 6520
B2 #2 - High Speed Rush = 6510 (6800 when he hit the ground)
UB - Full Power Energy Ball = 13040

First of all, in this situation you're doing twice as much damage with Appule's UB in comparison to his Energy Wave B2. While his High Speed Rush B2 CAN do more than half, that's only if the opponent doesn't recover as they hit the ground. Second, his UB only costs 1 more bar of ki, and there are benefits to being in Max Power(such as being able to use unblockable left/right/up/down/middle smash attacks, and smashes charge up faster making it easier to perform perfect smashes -- amongst other things).

Simply put, he's actually doing a decent amount of damage with his UB. And the main point of any UB is to deal out a lot of damage all at once, so it IS worth it, especially if it can guarantee your win right then and there. The only thing you should consider is the natural defense of the enemy you're facing(for example, Energy Wave does 5880 damage to LSSJ Broly instead of 6520 like it does to Goku[Early]).

For the most part, UB's > B2's.
---
#9PelicanDynasty(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 5:36:57 PM
Thanks for testing that out. My last question for now is: I used explosive wave to deflect another B2 and was wondering if other attacks can do it too. I tried with Appule's energy wave and it didn't work, but I thought maybe the timing was off. And sorry if this is an obvious answer, but I didn't get a manual or anything with the game.
#10unnamedFerPosted 6/24/2013 5:52:38 PM(edited)
PelicanDynasty posted...

Well my guide has stats for all the characters base stats. Didnt include b2 and UB since they are really straighforward.

As for the quote above, and UB you only need to be lucky and hit the opponent once, two energy wave might be less easy to land succesfully in a row. Also UBs remove the opponent's lock-on, yet a B2 while in MAX power model deals more damage (like 10% or something)

Also 98% of giants dont have increased defense, just a mere 3% reduction against smashes and special attacks

BTW something i didnt point in the faq is that theres a cap for stats that you cant increase no matter what.
LSSJ broly has natural 10% defense and if my memoery serves correctly, customizing wont make it go beyond that
---
http://killer7.6.forumer.com/