Major gamebreaking bug

#1LarvincPosted 10/16/2010 3:26:38 AM

Sorry for my bad english and the lack of exact name of places. I uninstalled the game and can't remember the names. Some spoilers to explain the situation.

When you fight with the flying harpy (Ahn'Bael I think) in the end of the temple in an arena like icy cave the gate shuts down behind you. After the fight you come up in the mountains and a path lead you down to a village with undeads. You can save the village from the undeads and in return you get a key.

With the help of the key you can go into a cave near the village defeat a shadowbeast and go trough a tunnel wich leads you trough the southern part of the map. You come up where you defended the boy from the demons (wolves) earlier.

This is how you can go back and do your quests wich you left open. You can go back to the swamp, jungle, temple...

I went back to the temple to hunt for minecrawlers. Earlier sometimes I just ran from them. Now I wanted to collect the missing pieces for the minecrawler xbow.

After the monastery in the firelizard and obsidian skeleton infested area you jump down drom a rock to talk head further (in the "grotto" I think) . Where you talk with guy who tell you where he left a package wich you hve to bring to the jungle to sell.

So at that part you have to jump down and there is no way to jump up to the path leading to the monastery.

This way you get stuck in the shutted gate in the temple and that rock near the monastery. No way you can get out there. The teleporters only get you to the next teleporter like the refugge camp to Setariff and back.

You stuck. Game over!

Yeah I play with many saves too but this is a very long way to play trough before I realized this will lead me to a certain deadend. It started at the cave with the shadowbeast and ended at the firelizard canyon (or "grotto").

Seriously I don't have the urge to start it all over again. I think it's not worth it. This is not that type of game I want to play trugh more then once. I posted this to help others. Avoid going back even if it's tempting! This is a linear game. It looks like it's openworld but it's not.

#2BullyForYouPosted 10/16/2010 5:07:33 AM
This game is very unforgiving when it comes to exploration. It's a linear story, and that's what we all have expect. If you leave an area, that's it, going back is not encouraged. No teleporters that take you back to the beginning, like in the other Gothic games.

I myself died several times trying to jump over rocks looking for secret area's. I fell, or simply got pushed into the sea (!). I learned my lesson: stick to the path...

There is no need to explore, or go back. This game is linear, it moves on. It's a step back from the other Gothic gamesm or even Risen, but just go with it...
#3LooseFujiPosted 10/24/2010 10:42:04 PM

http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=172851

#4Larvinc(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2010 1:56:11 PM

thx for the link

I tried the jump several times but didn't succeed. Mabey they altered it in the patch. Anyway I was already bored about the gameplay so It doesn't matter. At least I was not the only one who stuck there. It looked like only me could be this unlucky.

#5gameduck2Posted 10/25/2010 2:41:51 PM
I had difficulty following you. What is the name of the quest in "L" ?
#6Larvinc(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2010 5:33:39 AM

I don't understand your question.

this dude had the same problem: (see the link earlier)

"I got out of the monastery, did the quest about the temple, did the quest with the anvil and exited on the other side towards Thorniara. After exiting the temple i did the quest about killing the undead in the village and found the cave that leads back to the area near the valley of blood were you find the guild masters son. After i got out of the cave, i did some exploring there and then returned to the monastery, jumped down that step were a quest giver is located and now i am stuck in the jungle area. The through the temple is locked and i can not jump back to the monastery."

Mabey he was better in explaning the situation.

#7Trippy72Posted 10/30/2010 11:35:29 PM
I found a solution for the PC version - there is a "noclip" mode. that will let you get past the temple gate second time round.

Go to your "my documents" folder, and find the folder "Arcania - Gothic 4". Open the "input.xml" in notepad (or another text editor), and insert the following text

<Input command="hero teleport" >
<Key name="Q"/>
<Key name="control left" active="true" />
<Activation type="first active"/>
</Input>

You must insert it like the other "<input> </input>" blocks have been (you'll see the pattern, even if you're not familiar with XML) - it's easiest to put it at the end of the file before the final "</Inputs>" (e.g. insert it immediately before the last line).

Start the game, and hit "<Ctrl>Q" to go into noclip mode. In noclip mode, hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse to steer (you can only steer with the right mouse button held down). Use the normal movement keys to move (steer up or down before moving to change your altitude). You will see your hero standing where you left him. When you're in the right place (e.g. through the gate in the temple), hit "Esc" to exit noclip mode, and your hero will teleport to the new place.

Warning - if you exit noclip mode ("Esc") while inside a solid object, you'll be moved upwards to the first open space - e.g. if you're underground you'll be moved above ground. If this happens, simply re-enter no-clip mode and move back down, being more careful of your position before exiting. Noclip mode can get confusing, so always safe your game immediately before using it, just in case you get hopleslessly lost

Finally, there is also a cheat/'debug menu - add the following into "input.xml" as you did with the previous command:

<Input command="cheat menu">
<Key code="41"/>
<Activation type="first active"/>
</Input>

Use the tilde key ("~") to open the cheat menu in-game - it's mostly debug stuff, but the second tab gives you gold/XP/health cheats.

Hope this helps - it worked for me (I can finally get all the collectables without re-starting, yay!).
#8forsbergkefPosted 11/7/2010 11:02:29 AM
There is a way to get back from the jungle to the monastery.... If you have the 7 winds rune stone you can jump back up, I`ve done it myself and its easy. jump from the stones infornt of the ledge and your back up again :-)
#9Lord HazliaPosted 11/9/2010 6:23:46 AM
Did this last night.

Either of the two speed enhancing runestones will work. You just need a little push to leap off the ledge to the left & make it to the shelf. You could also use the potion that does the same thing.

Personally, if you're back-tracking, you're a fool for not having both runestones & the potions equipped anyway, so you can speed boost across the terrain.

---
Deep down all guys wanna plow a blue alien girl at least once in their lives - Lord Hazlia
Sir, you have just won the internet. Congratulations - Kitein0
#10jerrgsPosted 11/10/2010 8:58:52 PM
Lord Hazlia posted...
Did this last night.

Either of the two speed enhancing runestones will work. You just need a little push to leap off the ledge to the left & make it to the shelf. You could also use the potion that does the same thing.

Personally, if you're back-tracking, you're a fool for not having both runestones & the potions equipped anyway, so you can speed boost across the terrain.

---
Deep down all guys wanna plow a blue alien girl at least once in their lives - Lord Hazlia
Sir, you have just won the internet. Congratulations - Kitein0

Actually, you don't need anything to jump over this ledge nor you need to take off any of your equipments or amor. The key to this is JUMP BEFORE YOU GET TO THE EDGE OF THE LEDGE(either the left or the right would work). I have done this so many times. The real challenge is when you get down the cliff to the second ledge(to Marsland). This ledge is much higher and this is where I got stuck. You can't go back from here. The Monastary is as far as you can go back. This is a real disappointment to me about this game.