Will I need to play 1 and 2 before playing 3?

#1FigrotiPosted 2/27/2008 11:19:11 PM
Sounds like a dumb question, I know. But I was wondering if I needed to play Fallout 1 and 2 to actually understand, or fully enjoy Fallout 3? I've heard nothing but great things about the Fallout games, and would like to check out the third.

Just wondering, because some games *Cough*Final Fantasy*Cough* the numbers are just there because the name sells.
#2CalibahPosted 2/28/2008 1:58:16 PM
Since it's (unfortunately) a new developer doing FO3, I doubt it'll have much to do with the previous games other than the setting.

Tho I definitely recommend playing through the first two games anyway, just because they're so good.
#3MioMayuMikoPosted 3/3/2008 11:12:39 AM
It may really depend on your age, not to be condescending, as to whether you should play 1 and 2.

They're great, classic RPGs in the old sense of the word. But they're clunky and archaic looking compared to modern material. I do recommend you at least try Fallout 1. Doesn't take that long to play through, especially if you use a GameFAQ-brand guide!

It's also something to kill the wait time with. Once you see the old-school goodness, you'll understand why many are upset at the change in play style.
---
War. War never chages.
#4Jeff_2121Posted 3/4/2008 3:22:14 PM
Probably not, since this is a new story and stuff.

They might mention things from past games, like FEV and Vault 13, but it won't be a large part of the story.
#5mathishard226Posted 3/12/2008 3:20:58 PM
It might make 3 more fun. If they get the Fallout style right (which they might.... sorta...) there should be a lot of little nuances you'll appreciate a lot more with the first one or two under your belt. Plus, they're just good.
---
PSNID: MathIsHard
#6TwilightChildPosted 3/28/2008 11:00:07 PM
I hope we see Harold! And his tree of course.

And by the way, if you need to know anything about Fallout-world check http://fallout.wikia.com
---
Aye, sea turtles!
#7CloudHiroPosted 3/31/2008 8:21:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1dh_y6xPMY&feature=related

well, they say that everybody developing the game are major fallout fans are trying to get all the feel of the origonal games, though through a new methoid of gameplay.. but we'll have to be the judge of that. I for one like the new direction. if they do it right, it'll be great.
---
This area will self destruct in T minus 10 seconds. Please commence screaming and running around in circles. Have a Nice Day.
#8CloudHiroPosted 3/31/2008 8:22:58 PM
though, to answer your question, im shure they'll mention the other vaults from the previous games and such, but I doupt there will be much of a impact on story if you didnt play a previous one.
---
This area will self destruct in T minus 10 seconds. Please commence screaming and running around in circles. Have a Nice Day.
#9sneakysnakePosted 4/2/2008 11:26:08 AM
I doubt you need to since the developers think of it as a sequel to Oblivion when it isn't.
#10MookeylamaPosted 4/6/2008 1:38:01 PM
so the first 2 games were on PC only right?
---
How many fanboys does it take to change a lightbulb?
Ten. One to screw it in and nine to argue about how the old one was so much better.