Fallout 3 - Perk / SPECIAL / Character Build - Guide / FAQ / Help - Version 2.00

#1light_daxterPosted 2/22/2009 12:11:17 PM
Okay, first of all some links;

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_perks
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_SPECIAL
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Skills#Fallout_3_skills
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_character_builds

In this topic we'll simply discuss each perks, and why they do, or do not suck. Note that I won't be taking the various Quest Perks into consideration, they don't add to your entire perk amount (19).
Of course I don't mean that you MUST follow this guide/topic, but it's a nice handy thing to decide on what perks you should or should not take. If you want to take Perk X, though it does suck, do it, nobody will hate you for it. In fact; some worthless perks can be pretty funny!

And yes, I made the title 80 characters for the lulz >_>
Skill Guide will be included in a later chapter

Must take
Action Boy / Action Girl (VATS only)
Comprehension (NOTE: There's some discussion regarding this perk, I might as well say that you shouldn't take it if you don't want most, if not all skills very high/max. Though it is suggested if you have nothing else too pick at lvl. 4).
Cyborg
Educated (NOTE: There's some discussion regarding this perk, I might as well say that you shouldn't take it if you don't want most, if not all skills very high/max. Though it is suggested if you have nothing else too pick at lvl. 4).
Grim Reaper's Sprint (VATS only)
Intense Training (Only to raise SPECIAL to desired Levels for Perks or a high SPECIAL skill if Character is based on that (for example, Strength/Endurance for Melee/Unarmed. Agility for VATS players, or Luck for Critical Builds)
Toughness (Recommended for Unarmed/Melee)

Never take
Animal Friend, Bloody Mess, Cannibal, Chem Resistant, Child at Heart, Computer Whiz, Contract Killer
Explorer, Entomologist, Fortune Finder, Gunslinger, Here and Now, Impartial Meditation, Infiltrator
Lady Killer, Law Bringer, Lead Belly, Light Step, Master Trader, Mister Sandman, Mysterious Stranger
Nerd Rage, Night Person, Rad Resistance, Scoundrel, Scrounger, Solar Powered, Swift Learner

Build specific or generically useful
Adamantium Skeleton (Unarmed/Melee)
Black Widow (If not using any IT's)
Fast Metabolism (U/M)
Finesse (Critical Build)
Better Criticals (Sneak, Critical Build)
Chemist (U/M)
Commando (Rifle build)
Concentrated fire (Sniper build
Demolition Expert (Explosives Build, Sneak)
Iron Fist (Unarmed)
Life Giver (U/M)
Ninja (Unarmed/Melee/Sneak)
Paralyzing Palm (Unarmed)
Pyromaniac (Melee)
Silent Running (Sneak)
Sniper (Sniper build)
Strong Back (low Strength)

Recommended SPECIAL
S - Melee Build
P - Sneak/Sniper Build
E - Unarmed/Melee Build
C - Never
I - Left over points.
A - VATS build
L - Critical Build

Critical Build = A player using High Crit. Chance weapons and taking several other Crit. DAM/Chance increasing perks, mainly to ensure almost always incredibly powerful hits.
Sniper Build = Typical Sniper, sneaks around, shoots from a long distance.
Explosives Build = Not advised, Explosives are however a nice extra for Sneak characters who seek a nice extra damage output.

Most other builds are self-explainable.
---
PSN Dweezle
#2reeshersPosted 2/22/2009 12:25:56 PM
Pretty good stuff Dax, but why not take Gunslinger. I personally found it useful. Not bashing, I'm just wondering.
---
'I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork- does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
#3light_daxter(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2009 12:36:28 PM
Pretty good stuff Dax, but why not take Gunslinger. I personally found it useful. Not bashing, I'm just wondering.

Commando has the exact same effects, except regarding rifles. And Rifles >>> Guns!
Every single gun has a stronger and better rifle variant.
Except of course the Alien Blaster/Firelance, but they suck anyway.
---
PSN Dweezle
#4tzar_666Posted 2/22/2009 12:39:23 PM
i dont do 1 handed weapons so i get commando
#5greggreggreg2000Posted 2/22/2009 1:19:11 PM
I'll give it a try my next playthrough

---
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. -Groucho Marx
#6DeathlyEvil666Posted 2/22/2009 1:22:11 PM
Hey Dax

Entomologist. Wouldn't that help with Giant Radscorpions? Tey can be a pain sometimes so the more damage you do to them, woud be better wouldn't it? I'm one of the worse players so I tend to run out of ammo alot. If your like me wouldn't that help in problems where more than 2 Giant Radscorpion attack you?

Computer Whiz. What if you get locked out of a computer before you figure out how to hack? By time I figured out how to succefully hack on this game I had been locked out of 10 terminals (even the one in (spoiler) the tenpenny basement)

Lady Killer. Just wanted to ask why you put Lady Killer in here but not Black Widow.

Law Bringer. I tend to fall off the good side with a bang. So I get a few Purified Waters and give them to the bums. When I run out of those what do I do? I don't know... maybe kill Raiders and Enclave Soldiers for the good karma you get when you turn in the fingers.
---
"Sunrise, Sunset, will you wash away the rain? Sunrise, Sunset, will you wash away the pain?" Aiden- "Last Sunrise" (Nightmare Anatomy)
#7light_daxter(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2009 1:30:35 PM
i dont do 1 handed weapons so i get commando

Okay.

I'll give it a try my next playthrough

Thanks.

Hey Dax

Entomologist. Wouldn't that help with Giant Radscorpions? Tey can be a pain sometimes so the more damage you do to them, woud be better wouldn't it? I'm one of the worse players so I tend to run out of ammo alot. If your like me wouldn't that help in problems where more than 2 Giant Radscorpion attack you?

Computer Whiz. What if you get locked out of a computer before you figure out how to hack? By time I figured out how to succefully hack on this game I had been locked out of 10 terminals (even the one in (spoiler) the tenpenny basement)

Lady Killer. Just wanted to ask why you put Lady Killer in here but not Black Widow.

Law Bringer. I tend to fall off the good side with a bang. So I get a few Purified Waters and give them to the bums. When I run out of those what do I do? I don't know... maybe kill Raiders and Enclave Soldiers for the good karma you get when you turn in the fingers.

Not really, a whole perk against one enemy isn't useful. You might as well get a Dart Gun, and outrun them or just get a nice follower. Thing is that by the time you meet them you should have an extensive amount of weaponry and armor, Grenades are incredibly common and you can also spawn a Big Gun (Minigun, Flamer) you never use.
Other possibilities are to just create Nuka Grenades and Bottlecap Mines, as they don't really have much usage and get rid of them easily.

If one doesn't know how to hack he should read a guide or something, the wikia has a good one. It is pretty much the players own problem if he can't hack, if he can't he should try to learn it or simply ignore it.

Women are fairly uncommon. You'll fight guys a lot more.

Karma is unimportant. Their only use is to get a Follower. Purified Water is free from your Butler, and you might as well give money to the church.
---
PSN Dweezle
#8xenmindPosted 2/22/2009 1:33:31 PM
im a big fan of scrounger, sometimes when i get frustrated its fun to waltz into mega ton and pretend like my missile launcher is a mini gun because i have so much ammo stored up.
---
PSN: ZenMind
#9xenmindPosted 2/22/2009 1:35:10 PM
and fast metabolism. it was nice early on but after you fins the outcast base and dump a ton of tesla armor on them, you can pound stimpacks like nothing.
---
PSN: ZenMind
#10DeathlyEvil666Posted 2/22/2009 1:37:25 PM
"Not really, a whole perk against one enemy isn't useful. You might as well get a Dart Gun, and outrun them or just get a nice follower. Thing is that by the time you meet them you should have an extensive amount of weaponry and armor, Grenades are incredibly common and you can also spawn a Big Gun (Minigun, Flamer) you never use.
Other possibilities are to just create Nuka Grenades and Bottlecap Mines, as they don't really have much usage and get rid of them easily.

If one doesn't know how to hack he should read a guide or something, the wikia has a good one. It is pretty much the players own problem if he can't hack, if he can't he should try to learn it or simply ignore it.

Women are fairly uncommon. You'll fight guys a lot more.

Karma is unimportant. Their only use is to get a Follower. Purified Water is free from your Butler, and you might as well give money to the church."

Well the Entomologist would come in handy durring Those! then. C'mon you gotta agree on that one.

Thats the only reason I know how to hack.

Good point on the Lady Killer.

Yeah 5 a day (I think. anyway on mine it be a few days before he'll give me any more. Stupid robot). I used those and went from Worse Nuetral to Better Nuetral.
Donated about 600 caps to a church and got up to Good. I have problems keeping good karma (i'm only keeping it for fawkes) and the more ways to help the better in my mind.
---
"Sunrise, Sunset, will you wash away the rain? Sunrise, Sunset, will you wash away the pain?" Aiden- "Last Sunrise" (Nightmare Anatomy)