Should I download DLC before continuing the original game?

#1ploodiePosted 5/17/2012 11:26:10 AM
I'm not sure I get how the DLC integrates with the original game. I do NOT have GOTY. I understand that the different DLC give you new level caps and other stuff, but does that immediately translate into the original game that I am playing? Does the DLC just become new areas of the existing map, or are they each their own game that you launch from the main menu?

Confused...
#2CerebornPosted 5/17/2012 12:11:52 PM
"Broken Steel" extends the regular storyline and raises the level cap to 30. All the others are independent missions that you can do at your leisure. For those ones, you just have to report to a certain location on your map, and through a specific event you are taken to a new location that exists outside the regular overworld. The size of this new location varies.

But if you want to download all the DLC, you're looking at about $50, because the video game industry is ridiculous and has decided that digital content should never depreciate in value. Just get the GOTY. You can pick one up used for $15.
---
http://oi39.tinypic.com/2howz6f.jpg
You're welcome to your opinion, as long as you understand that it's factually wrong. - ayame95
#3ploodie(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2012 12:44:18 PM
So if I pop the GOTY in to my PS3 and star 'er up, will I still have my same save file? Or will I have to start game from scratch?
#4gohan_meteoraPosted 5/17/2012 1:04:46 PM
ploodie posted...
So if I pop the GOTY in to my PS3 and star 'er up, will I still have my same save file? Or will I have to start game from scratch?

Unfortunately you'll need to start a new game. You CAN load the vanilla save, but you get about 15 minutes before the game crashes and you CANNOT go near any DLC point.
#5CerebornPosted 5/17/2012 1:38:38 PM
That guy above me? Don't pay attention to him.

You can start up the GOTY and load your old save file without any problem, but there is a catch. If you look at your disk, there will be a little product code on the outer edge. I should be BLUS-#### or some such. You have to make sure your GOTY edition has the same product code, or else the save file won't transfer. That was the problem I encountered.
---
http://oi39.tinypic.com/2howz6f.jpg
You're welcome to your opinion, as long as you understand that it's factually wrong. - ayame95
#6gohan_meteoraPosted 5/17/2012 1:52:32 PM
Cereborn posted...
That guy above me? Don't pay attention to him.

That was my experience.
#7MrcTOtheJPosted 5/17/2012 6:50:03 PM
Get the GoTY it's cheaper and you can continue your save (The GoTY that Beth made that can't is Oblivion) You might also want to check the product code thing like Cereborn said, I didn't know of that untill now. (I went straight for the GoTY)

Anyhow all the DLC are good, some better than others, but all are fun, Op Anchorage can make you way over powered if you go there straight from the vault, if you want some quick thoughts on the DLC I can give you some to.
---
One does not simply walk into Skaldafn-Luiman04