Is Charisma worth the attribute points.

#1Blinded_FuryPosted 11/12/2008 12:49:40 PM
I'm starting a new character that's going to be mainly stealth-based, but I'm wondering about how to arrange my starting S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attributes. I found that if I start out with 8 Strength, 7 Perception, 6 Endurance, 1 Charisma, 5 Intelligence, 8 Agility, and 5 Luck, that I would eventually (after intense training x3, Bobbleheads, and a certain quest reward) be able to have 10 points in Strength, Perception, and Agility, my three prime attributes. Is it really worth it to lower Charisma all the way down to 1? I want to be able to max out my main attributes, but I'm also thinking that I might want to keep Charisma at 5 just for good measure. Advice?
#2TheBanhamnerPosted 11/12/2008 12:50:00 PM
No.
---
TheBanhammer™ You'll probably be hit by it...
Hardcore™ - We'll probably be modded for this...
#3Blinded_Fury(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2008 12:51:35 PM
No...to what?
#4Blinded_Fury(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2008 12:56:55 PM
Bump. I'm looking for some actually valid advice.
#5WhereDidItGoPosted 11/12/2008 12:57:03 PM
On my character that I'm using, I've put Charisma down to 1 in favor of other attributes. I'm working on the evil side so it fit the character theme. So far its not been a problem at all except obviously any special speech attempt usually has like a 5% chance of succeeding since I haven't added to speech either.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes innocent people run away from me, so maybe it makes them not like you. Doesn't seem to be my negative karma either because I started out good and they did that as well before I became evil.
---
The only difference between peace and submission is the mercy of your enemy.
#6hauntbotPosted 11/12/2008 12:59:14 PM
really, most of the stats dont actually do too much. charisma still is slightly less useful than the others though, with the possible exception of perception.

leave CHA at 5 if you want to bump it to 6 for perks, but for the most part the speech skill makes a much more significant difference than just charisma; a CHA 1 speech 100% wont miss much compared to a CHA 10 speech 100.

if you dont have at least 5, there is definitely no point in not just notching it all the way down to 1. 2, 3 & 4 are worthless
---
R.I.P. Bastard Poetry's cat - ?/?/??~12/31/07
At least he was tasty; and I'm still not sorry for eating him.
#7Cort_WilliamsPosted 11/12/2008 1:13:58 PM
Charisma is by far the least usefull stat since all it realy does is open up useless perks and give bonuses to Speech and Barter. You can fix your lack in those skills by having a higher intelligence (personaly I like a 9 starting out). I'm a good guy with 1 charisma and I've not noticed any draw backs. You can fix the speech and barter problems with clothing, books, and leveling up. Strength is only necessary realy if you are going to do alot of mele combat, or want to carry more. Perception is somewhat usefull since it has great stats and adds bonuses to energy weapons. The ability to see things on the compass sooner isn't that important, but it is slightly usefull pretty much all the time. Endurance is ok since it gives you slightly higher base HP and improves poison/radiation resistence. Agility is the Best stat since it ups your small arms / repair /sneak (vital to pretty much any character) AND it boosts your AP for Vats (again crucial for pretty much any character). Intelligence gives you a bonus to Medicine and Science plus the major benefit of more skill points per level. Finaly, Luck gives you a tiny bonus to all skills, but the real benefit is that you get +1% to your criticals per level. That said, I think I A and L to be the three most usefull stats, with S P and E next, followed by C as the worst.
#8blue_devil_99Posted 11/12/2008 1:20:50 PM
No, most definitely not. Side benefits of SPECIAL attributes:
STR - Carry weight, melee/unarmed damage
PER - Hostiles appear on radar from greater range
END - Health
CHA - ???
INT - Skill points at level up
AGI - Action Points for VATS
LUC - Critical strike %, small boost to all skills

Depending on your build, it's debatable which attribute is most important, but CHA is only directly useful for skills that are easily raisable with levelups, bobbleheads, and books.
#9hauntbotPosted 11/12/2008 1:22:16 PM
one tiny nitpcik; its been shown that STR actually doesnt affect unarmed damage.

melee, yes, but not unarmed, unfortunately.
---
R.I.P. Bastard Poetry's cat - ?/?/??~12/31/07
At least he was tasty; and I'm still not sorry for eating him.
#10crikanPosted 11/12/2008 1:34:32 PM
I went for a stealthy character that focuses on Lockpicking, Small Guns, Sneak and Science. I'm a Level 10 and he turned out very good without Charisma. It balances out because you steal so much that it makes up for the lower prices. I would highly recommend adding more to Intelligence.

My Character:
7 Strength, 6 Perception, 6 Endurance, 1 Charisma, 8 Intelligence, 7 Agility, and 5 Luck
---
“Omnipotence! Gotta get me some of that.”