Plot Question: Why is the Enclave so vilified? (SPOILERS)

#1carpdog112Posted 3/23/2011 10:47:51 AM
I understand the Enclave kills your father and your father's research assistant, but this is only because your father defies their attempts to take over the water purifying facility. But why does your father resist them taking it over? Their goal is the same as yours, activate the facility to purify the water in the tidal basin. So why does you father care who activates the facility as long as it gets done. It really seems that he kills himself and gets his lab assistant killed for absolutely no good reason, merely for the purpose of being the ones to activate the purifier as opposed to allowing the enclave to do it. Is there something deeper I'm missing here?
#2FluffyKidJoePosted 3/23/2011 1:12:02 PM
Well I'd assume they would have poisoned the water to kill of all mutations, like the President wanted you to do. But why they had you do it rather then the Enclave do it themselves is beyond me.

I don't think they developed the Enclave very well. I ended up disliking the Brotherhood for their "Kill all ghouls on site" policy, but the Enclave never explicitly does anything like that.
---
you fat bastard you fat bastard you ate all the pies
#3Crimson GrogPosted 3/23/2011 2:23:59 PM
The Enclave plans to release Modified FEV into the water supply, which kills anyone who has been exposed to radiation (not just ghouls and mutants).
---
Are druids still bug? -happyscrub1
No Sum durids are bare, and sum durids r cat (which iz 4 fite); but no durids are bugz -ShadowEdgeX
#4carpdog112(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2011 2:49:07 PM(edited)
The Enclave plans to release Modified FEV into the water supply, which kills anyone who has been exposed to radiation (not just ghouls and mutants).

My understanding was President Eden wanted to dump the virus into the water supply but Col. Autumn didn't want to, hence the coup. Plus there was no way for your father to know about the president's plans having only interacted with Col. Autumn. They really needed to flesh out the Enclave more in this game. I'm assuming the Enclave's evil intentions were made a little more clear in the previous games, so maybe it makes more sense in that case.
#5garanPosted 3/23/2011 2:50:38 PM
The enclave's FEV water would kill everyone in the Wasteland, including the main character. That's why they're villified-- most people are against genocide.
#6carpdog112(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2011 2:56:52 PM
The enclave's FEV water would kill everyone in the Wasteland, including the main character. That's why they're villified-- most people are against genocide.

Only the president wanted to use the FEV virus, Col. Autumn and the rest of the Enclave staged a coup because of this.
#7rrhammerPosted 3/23/2011 3:10:40 PM

Dad was in the middle of explaining that the facility was inoperative and probably would've been cooperative when the'negotiator' (despite the clothes and accent i don't think this was Col. Autumn since the guyseems to diealong with your father) suddenly shoots one of the scientists. Eden's decision to send someone w/ the diplomacy skills of Hitler was probably an 'illogical' decision for a supercomputer. Side note: When you're in the middle of acquiring a top-notch experimental facility (not to mention in the middle of an apocalyptic wasteland where brains are in short supply), it's not a good idea to shoot anyone in a white coat w/o a darn good reason.

According to a few things i've seen/read, the Enclave also kill Amata (after conditional requirements are met in the Trouble on the Homefront quest) after they question her about the location of Vault 101. They also round up pretty much anyone and everyone and kill them off after tests and questioning (this is evidenced in a few computer terminals after the Enclave show up in the field and bodies can be found nearby in at least one location). In fact there are few survivors if any once the Enclave encounter them (one of the scientists 'captured' at the facility who decides to help them, you, and Megaton's Nathan). To me they are an alternate version of the Brotherhood and Outcasts. They have a goal that is somewhat beneficial but at the expense of something, or someone,else.

#8Hunter319Posted 3/23/2011 6:19:42 PM
No it was Col. Autumn who was in the purifier with James. He didn't die because he injected himself with something (presumed to be some sort of super Rad Away) that you can see him doing the motion of after James overloads the purifier. That was how Col. Autumn survived the radiation although they should have clarified that up. I do not believe that Col. Autumn staged a takeover for the sole reason he didn't want the FEV virus injected in the water. I think it was more or so the fact that Col. Autumn was more of a irrational thinker and didn't want to take orders from a computer.
#9MisterPengyPosted 3/23/2011 8:00:40 PM
They're an evil dictatorial government. There don't need to be reasons to hate them.
---
Cool? Hmmmm, I guess that's just how I am. Sorry.
-Vincent Valentine
#10SoF-RamboPosted 3/23/2011 9:32:41 PM
Col. Autumn staged a coup because he didn't like how Eden had been running the Enclave for a while prior to the events of the game. Letting the main character walk out the front door, and have him possibly tell the Brotherhood of Steel where their main base was could be looked at as the final straw for Autumn.
---
Gamertag : Z0mb13S0ldier
Current Most Played : Fallout 3, CoD: World at War, Gears of War 2, and Bad Company 2.