any tips for a NV veteran who just got this?

#1KutKuSlayerPosted 3/21/2012 8:23:17 AM(edited)
i finally got bored of FONV and saw FO3 for 12... i caved.

i have 8 INT as i heard that INT is the most important special stat for FO3, and am going down the Small Guns + Sneak + Repair route, with spare points going into Speech.

im at Megaton atm, about to head off to look for my dad at the Galaxy News Radio Plaza. i have nothing but a 10mm Pistol, a Silenced 10mm Pistol, 10x 10mm rounds, random vault 101 loot and a baseball bat to my name... i need to go shopping :P

anything very important a newb should know about?

oh, and can you avoid spoilers please, unless its a gamebreaking/questbreaking issue you need to tell me about :)
---
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY TOPIC???__carwreck__
[REPAIR 85] Helios one cab give peer too if fixed.
#2Seven_KPosted 3/21/2012 10:05:50 AM
KutKuSlayer posted...

im at Megaton atm, about to head off to look for my dad at the Galaxy News Radio Plaza. i have nothing but a 10mm Pistol, a Silenced 10mm Pistol, 10x 10mm rounds

A good place to upgrade your equipment is a raider infested bridge north of vault 101. The first time you fight them one has a Sniper Rifle and another has a Big Gun. (not plot related, just a random bunch of raiders who respawn on a big broken bridge.)

You should also take educated and comprehension perks as soon as you can. These are gold compared to the other perks you can take at the early levels.
#3KutKuSlayer(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2012 10:17:37 AM
a lot of the perks i recognise from FONV, such as Educated and Comprehension which i was going to get anyway (free skill points ftw).

ill stock up on 10mm rounds and see if i can take the guys on the bridge out, i only have about 10 rounds at the moment, so ill need to shop for some more. i have a silenced 10mm pistol from the shifty looking bloke i executed in Moriarty's Saloon, which is good. i love silenced weapons.

also, i have 800 MSP for DLC. which DLC would you recommend (if it helps, 'Old World Blues' was my favourite DLC for New Vegas.)
---
#4Seven_KPosted 3/21/2012 11:14:15 AM
KutKuSlayer posted...
a lot of the perks i recognise from FONV, such as Educated and Comprehension which i was going to get anyway (free skill points ftw).

ill stock up on 10mm rounds and see if i can take the guys on the bridge out, i only have about 10 rounds at the moment, so ill need to shop for some more. i have a silenced 10mm pistol from the shifty looking bloke i executed in Moriarty's Saloon, which is good. i love silenced weapons.

also, i have 800 MSP for DLC. which DLC would you recommend (if it helps, 'Old World Blues' was my favourite DLC for New Vegas.)

Broken Steel maybe. I understand if you're going to get one it should be that one since it extends gameplay and adds on 10 extra levels.
#5KopeofOnracPosted 3/21/2012 4:51:20 PM
Some people say that's it's hard to go back to Fallout 3, once you've played New Vegas. My little brother is a huge fan of both, and convinced me to play Fallout 3. Based on that, I went back and played it. I see why they say that, but don't worry. Fallout 3 is intentionally really, really hard in the first 0-20 hours. Give it a chance; it does get fun.
#6mkavanagh43Posted 3/21/2012 5:19:44 PM

Before you leave Megaton, might be a really good idea to beat the really quick easy quest Power of the Atom.

Doing that will earn you a key to your own house. It'll be your home base between quests, and you can buy a very useful item for it. A personal infirmary that heals you fully, uncripples limbs, and most importantly, heals all radiation. Can use it as many times as you want, endlessly.

All you need to beat that quest is 25 Explosives stat. I always get this stat up first thing out of the Vault, as the house is such a good thing to have through the game.

#7KutKuSlayer(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2012 11:29:29 AM
mkavanagh43 posted...
Before you leave Megaton, might be a really good idea to beat the really quick easy quest Power of the Atom.Doing that will earn you a key to your own house. It'll be your home base between quests, and you can buy a very useful item for it. A personal infirmary that heals you fully, uncripples limbs, and most importantly, heals all radiation. Can use it as many times as you want, endlessly.All you need to beat that quest is 25 Explosives stat. I always get this stat up first thing out of the Vault, as the house is such a good thing to have through the game.

thanks.

i made another topic on the FONV board and got some more info (such as don't go to Old Olney, and talk to Moira about the Survival Guide) so im not as hopeless as i was earlier.

i have a Hunting Rifle, .32 Pistol and a Sawn-Off Shotgun in my collection now, as well as 500ish caps to spend on ammo and supplies.
---
#8BowlofNoodlesPosted 3/23/2012 6:11:36 PM

If you're going to get DLC, I reommend either Broken Steel or Point Lookout. PL being my favorite of the bunch, but BS raises the level cap. Your choice.

#9nyte_blaydePosted 3/24/2012 3:36:12 AM
Theres a "hollow" rock Somewhere around the back of Megaton, with a sniper rifle and some supplies. The rock looks like a generic rock, but if you approach it, its basically something to store your stuff in. This rock has three small trees hugging it closely with a bush beside it. So, basically, once you leave megaton, stick to the wall on deputy welds side, which is the left, then start walking with your left side to the wall, and keep a look-out for a rock with three small trees and a bush.

As for DLC, Broken Steel is a good choice as it raises the level cap to 30, and it also extends the game by continuing the story. Operation: Anchorage can also be useful, as it unlocks a whole ton of useful equipment after you finish it, and if i'm not mistaken, early power armor training, if you haven't already advanced that far, and a bonus if you can do the gary 23 glitch correct.
---
The Official Yuna of the Dissidia 012 Duodecim boards :D
Currently Playing: Saints Row: The Third, Final Fantasy VIII, Fallout 3
#10KutKuSlayer(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2012 6:25:56 AM
ill get Broken Steel first, then Point Lookout.

i'm loving it so far, i'm only level 5 but my main skills (Sm Guns, Sneak, Repair) are at 50 and i rarely run out of .32 ammo anymore due to OCD looting and frequent raiders.

i have an Assault Rifle, Chinese Assault Rifle, Sawn-Off Shotgun, 10mm SMG, 10mm Silenced Pistol and a Hunting Rifle. i mainly use the Hunting Rifle and Silenced 10mm Pistol, i dont have many Shotgun Shells and the AR's burn through ammo really quickly :P

just bumped into the Talon Company Mercs and got myself a shiny new set of Combat Armour, should i carry on wearing it or will it make people hostile (like faction armour in New Vegas) ?
---