Why can't I hire Talon Company?

#1KevageitPosted 2/21/2013 2:48:22 PM
I think that would have been a great option.

Here's 2000 caps. Go attack the ghouls in Old Olney or attack the Enclave.

Here's 300 caps. Clear out the Super-Duper Mart and the area surrounding it.

Those would have been great options.

Who else agrees?
---
I am on the quest for teh mighty Cheese Puff! Tally-HO!
#2deadpigs101Posted 2/22/2013 3:00:37 AM
Aye, though make it 1k caps or so. Were you able to work for them in this?
---
GT: DonGiovanni023
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u58/DonGiovanni023/siggy-1.jpg
#3Kevageit(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 1:41:59 AM
No you can't. i just wish you could. It would make things interesting. I'm usually floating in caps mid game onwards and wouldn't mind hiring mercenaries to do a few missions.
---
I remember you.
#4sigma_1932Posted 2/26/2013 2:20:55 AM
Cuz Bethesda isn't capable of having that kind of foresight, nor would they actually be able to properly implement it in-game if they were.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of adding new options like this, but the way Bethesda designs things, they'd make it so it would just be more meaningless and ignorable fluff.

They'd have to change a lot of stuff to make it something where you'd actually think twice about hiring them for it to be a worthwhile addition to the game... For starters:

--combat would have to be reworked from the current "can kill everything at level 1 with crap gear" state to the point that you can't handle fighting anything more than bloatflies, radroaches, and maybe dogs/molerats if you don't raise your weapon skills, providing a viable reason to hire them in the first place.

--There's already no reason to buy anything except collectibles in the game now, so the in-game economy would have to be changed so it's more difficult to acquire large amounts of loot/caps in general, or the fee Talon Company charges would have to be ridiclulously high (i.e. 10k+ caps for a simple run like the Super-Duper Mart or springvale school), so as to not be made irrelavent by the ridiculous overabundance of expendable loot that has no purpose other than being used as trade fodder.

--work in some kind of world-affecting consequences (not just some pointless karma hit), like maybe towns/NPC's won'd deal with you because you're working with them, etc.
---
Forgive him father, for he knows not what ticket he purchases...
Yeah I do... see? Zombies! =^.^=
#5JPawesomePosted 3/10/2013 7:34:21 PM
sigma_1932 posted...
combat would have to be reworked from the current "can kill everything at level 1 with crap gear" state to the point that you can't handle fighting anything more than bloatflies, radroaches, and maybe dogs/molerats if you don't raise your weapon skills

That sounds like Fallout 1...
...please, let's *not* go back to the dark days of the RNG...
---
Yes, I know you're trying to do things the stealthy way, but sometimes the enemies get so plentiful you just want to blow 'em up.
"Clever girl."
#6sigma_1932Posted 3/11/2013 9:30:29 PM
JPawesome posted...
sigma_1932 posted...
combat would have to be reworked from the current "can kill everything at level 1 with crap gear" state to the point that you can't handle fighting anything more than bloatflies, radroaches, and maybe dogs/molerats if you don't raise your weapon skills

That sounds like Fallout 1...
...please, let's *not* go back to the dark days of the RNG...

Actually, it sounds like an RPG in general... If you can do everything in the game without raising your skills or having to level up, how is it an RPG and not just another dumbed-down button-mashing shooter/hiking simulator?

BTW, even FO3 has a RNG's in it... VATS accuracy calculations (to a point) and non-sneak-attack criticals are randomly generated. Lack/presence of RNG's aren't the problem in FO3/NV anyway-- the problem is the craptastic FPS mechanics making it too easy to completely ignore combat skills.
---
Forgive him father, for he knows not what ticket he purchases...
Yeah I do... see? Zombies! =^.^=