This game is overwhelming...

#1rx54Posted 3/16/2013 5:26:14 PM
It's been about a year and a bit since I last played, and the second I get out of the vault I don't know how to proceed.

There's so much to do, so many options that I don't know where to begin. I never used to care lol.
I'm not the kind of person who can just aimlessly wander I guess, I need a goal or a mission, to do something different than before.

This is probably what writers block feels like, but i'm having it with a game.

1st World Problems
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvSMp7T2Kes
^ Drugs.
#2sauruschamp1Posted 3/17/2013 4:21:26 AM
What I usually do is stick to doing quests ie go through the main questline.
---
Xbox GT: Zarosian Steam GT: Zarosio
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde
#3GrimKusanagiPosted 3/17/2013 6:12:55 AM
I go for bobbleheads first. Makes sense to beef up your character before you start questing.
---
Current Playing: Fallout 3
Always Playing: Fallout 3
#4rx54(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 1:41:55 PM(edited)
Is it possible to own the Tenpenny suite and be able to upgrade it and everything without destroying Megaton?

Where is the nicest place to live in terms of looks and community?
I was hoping the dlc's would have had something awesome like The Sink from Old World Blues in New Vegas but they all seem to having nothing of the sort.

The Megaton house looks like junk, but there aren't many settlements of its size so I don't want to blow it up just for a nicer place to live...

Ideas?

Can Eulogy's Pad or whatever be made into a player home? It's been a while but if I remember it was quite luxurious on the inside.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvSMp7T2Kes
^ Drugs.
#5FalloutNVKingPosted 3/17/2013 2:14:18 PM
Home wise I don't know that much but story and gameplay wise the dlc are all much better except mother ship zeta has a poor story and dead money In new vegas has a great story
---
Sent from my iPod touch via PowerGuides 1.10
#6LazyDave1Posted 3/17/2013 10:29:38 PM
I stopped playing this game at the end of 2008 and only started again (picked up on the same save file) about a month ago.

I stopped for basically the exact reasons as you. It was too overwhelming, I couldn't even comprehend what to do next, I had no sense of direction, and I can't handle just wandering aimlessly. I'm the type of weird person who prefers linearity to a completely open world. Do you have OCD by any chance?

But it turns out you can like both linearity and open worlds. Once you get far enough and get the hang of it, you can easily figure out what to do next and, in a sense, create your own linearity. Pick a way to play the game and stick to it.

USE GUIDES AND THE FALLOUT WIKI. I would never be able to play this game at all without them. If you don't know what an item does or what the result of some action does, check the wiki. If you've just gotten out of the vault, follow a guide word-for-word for a while until you get more acquainted with the game. Press B to open your Pip-Boy, find the name of your current quest, and look it up on the wiki. I actually read ahead to see what choices I'll have. The purists here probably think that ruins the whole game, but it does the opposite for me.

Good luck!

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki
http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/939933-fallout-3/faqs/54966
#7DanOverboardPosted 3/18/2013 4:58:49 AM
Tried playing this in 2008 ... computer couldn't handle it.

Bought a 360 in 2011 and a used copy of this game ... didn't put it down until I finished the main quest (and others obviously).

Time went by as I played other games. Then recently, I had the hankering to play through it again and realized that I barely scratched the surface the first time. This time I'm mildy using the wiki guides only to make sure that I don't miss any important stuff.
#8worshipme4lifePosted 3/18/2013 12:48:07 PM
As you know, there is no "wrong" way to play. That in mind, I recommend setting a quest on your pipboy and following it through. As another user said, using guides or a wiki to do the quests will give you the best outcome (I personally use the wiki, "the Vault"). There is no wrong order to do the quests in.

As for the nicest "official" place to live, that would be Tenpenny Tower. However, I was unable to get the personal suite without blowing Megaton up.

When I first played this game I was the same way: totally lost. But I found as I played through I got more comfortable with the open world, and once I started finding better gear I became brave enough to venture out into the wasteland, and that's when I felt like this game really started to shine. I don't know if you'll end up feeling the same way, and while there are a ton of things to do just remember there's always a guide for them.
---
All we know is all we are.
#9sigma_1932Posted 3/19/2013 4:13:57 AM
worshipme4life posted...
(I personally use the wiki, "the Vault").

I assume you mean www.falloutwiki.com, yes?

As for the nicest "official" place to live, that would be Tenpenny Tower. However, I was unable to get the personal suite without blowing Megaton up.

Depends if your talking about convenience or aesthetics. Megaton House for the former (fewer loading screens from the fast-travel point than TPT suite, don't have to deal with the gate), TPT suite for the latter.

It should be mentioned that if you disarm the bomb and get the house in Megaton, the game has been known to glitch and let you into the TPT suite through the "back door" (i.e. door on the balcony), so it's technically possible to get access to both that way.

Only thing is you can't buy upgrades for the TPT suite if you don't blow up Megaton. No one's pinpointed yet what makes the door unlock so it's not guaranteed to happen either.
---
Forgive him father, for he knows not what ticket he purchases...
Yeah I do... see? Zombies! =^.^=
#10harleyknightPosted 3/19/2013 9:27:21 AM
If you can get through MZ, then it becomes a pretty cool place to live. There is a workbench and plenty of storage. Plus it has a couple of people giving you stuff they find. The only down side, there is no place to sleep... and that you have to get through the DLC. If your an energy weapon user though, nothing beats it, best energy weapons in the game.
---
"Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them."