Sigma if you hate this game so much why stay on this board

#1FalloutNVKingPosted 3/17/2013 7:58:11 AM
Sigma I've played all fallouts except for fallout 3, the other fallouts weren't perfect and fallout tactics if you ever played it didn't have the best writing

I get that you believe this game is some shooter hiking simulator but if you hate it why stay here , everyone who asks a question about like immersion and stuff you go and derail there thread, and you told some guy to kill himself on one of the ps3 fallout 3 forums? That just ain't cool, if you didn't like the game you wouldn't be here so either leave or stop hating on the game...
---
Sent from my iPod touch via PowerGuides 1.10
#2sigma_1932Posted 3/20/2013 5:22:59 AM
FalloutNVKing posted...
Sigma I've played all fallouts except for fallout 3

Play it. Maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from even if you don't feel the same.

the other fallouts weren't perfect and fallout tactics if you ever played it didn't have the best writing

I never said the originals were perfect. In fact there has been more than one occasion where I stated they have their own flaws. What I'm saying here is that FO3 is worse than the originals except for graphics.

As for Tactics, never played it, so I can't comment up or down there. All I can say to that is it's widely considered to be non-canon, so when people refer to "the originals" they tend to only be referring to FO1+2 only.

I get that you believe this game is some shooter hiking simulator but if you hate it why stay here , everyone who asks a question about like immersion and stuff you go and derail there thread

Why stay?
1. Enlightening players less experienced with RPG's to flaws in the game they might not have noticed due to how over-hyped the game is.
2. Boredom.
3. The occasional rational discussion concerning general mechanics/fallout lore.
4. Again, boredom (I do most of my posting at work when it's not busy).

And I do not derail anyone's like, totally LARP-tastic, "immershun" threads-- in fact, I usually ignore them because I almost always find them uninteresting to begin with.

The closest I might come to that is if someone asks "what's good for an X build?", then I'll say "just build the same all-around character you would otherwise, and then just stick to using X."

Other than that, people create posts, and I just toss in my own two cents if I feel like it. Then if someone asks me to elaborate or tries to debate my point, I back my position up with factual evidence. Sometimes that might include stuff that's partly off topic but still related information (such as an analogy to help show my point), sometimes it doesn't.

and you told some guy to kill himself on one of the ps3 fallout 3 forums? That just ain't cool, if you didn't like the game you wouldn't be here so either leave or stop hating on the game...

O.o
*rolls eyes*
It's the intarwebz, d00d.
Get a thicker skin and learn to pick out the useful information while letting the rest slide off your back.

Oh, and no, I really think FO3 is crap. Best I've heard it put is "vastness of an ocean, depth of a puddle"... though I'd probably replace puddle with "parking-lot grease spot"... puddles are too deep for FO3, and not enough SHINY!!!

On the other hand, Obsidian made a lot of good strides in the right direction with NV. I really wanted to love it, but unfortunately, there was a lot of stuff that still fell short... probably due to a short development schedule of only 14 months, and with Bethe$da still being the publisher, you know they're gonna keep it derpy. Still, it's definitely better than FO3, and I'd probably put it above the originals in some ways, but below them in others.
---
Forgive him father, for he knows not what ticket he purchases...
Yeah I do... see? Zombies! =^.^=
#3DanOverboardPosted 3/20/2013 6:09:05 AM
I gotta agree with sigma on a some points here. As many RPG elements that there are in the game, most of them fall short in necessity, despite what they may seem like on the surface. I'm all about immersion in games and I like to wring out every little penny that I pay for it by doing so. However, when you have a new and creative character build in mind that utilizes some out-of-the-ordinary skills that would be appropriate to wasteland survival and find out that those skills are not only unneeded but that a character that has devoted absolutely no points into said skill can essentially perform them just as easily...well, it's a little deterring to say the least. That being said, I still level up skills like Speech just to avoid the habitual reload and to reassure myself that my character is simply a convincing people-person.

Furthermore, you can explore and scavenge the wasteland to your hearts content, but be prepared to come across some interesting landmarks and settings with little to no story history behind them. If all I come out with is Stimpaks and a bunch of Tin Cans, then I would almost consider my time wasted.

The first time I played through FO3 was rather quick, and then I set it aside for other games. I recently popped it back in realizing that I overlooked more than half of the game (locations, quests, etc.). I made a female devoted sniper/explosives character that has been a blast. I'm not much of a run-and-gun type player and the experience of cresting over hilltops and being on the lookout is very enjoyable to me. Then I made a Shishkebab and I feel like I've thrown her personality out the window. I mean, I made her physically defenseless and inefficient with melee weapons or medicine, but I can charge at enemies slashing away and at a moment's notice heal myself completely with a couple of the 200+ Stimpaks that I'm carrying.

I guess when it comes down to it, no modern action-RPG is really any different and if you have the will in yourself to set boundaries (i.e. Immersion), then you can safely preserve the RPG feel to the game. Regardless, I still really enjoy playing it (and I only have the vanilla version—no DLC or New Vegas) either because of the unique engrossing experience of always wondering "what's in that building over there?" or that I buy so few games—games that I love—that I must replay them often
#4FalloutNVKing(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 8:27:17 AM
Ok I got fallout 3 yesterday and I do understand some of your complaints, I haven't started dlc yet and Im on waters of life mission, some of the writing is pretty sub par... And the main thing that annoyed me was how brotherhood of steel are now these white knight bad asses now, the exploration is pretty cool though, combat is easy on very hard with a ranged weapon but early game on very hard with a Melee it can be kind of difficult to get close to super mutant overlords without them killing you, however once I got combat armor and built a shiskebab which I heard was best Melee weapon I realized I had to sneak up and then my sneak attack crit does crazy damage and just finish him off, my main two complaints are te combat and the BoS
---
Sent from my iPod touch via PowerGuides 1.10
#5FOGEDABOUDITPosted 3/20/2013 8:26:02 PM
The end is near!
---
I do so love Riften. I journeyed here in my youth. A thief took my purse... so I took his eyes. It was a fair exchange.
#6RebelElite791Posted 3/21/2013 2:22:48 PM
That's just...logical TC!

You can't expect logic from window licking gamefaqs trolls.
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws
http://i.imgur.com/NvRUjep.jpg
#7POWERSLAVE_815Posted 3/22/2013 8:31:39 AM
Come on guys just hug it out
#8LovethepythonPosted 3/24/2013 2:08:54 AM
Man this is the best and most complexed game I've ever played! What's to hate?

It has:
- Limitless replay value.
- Hell of a load of quests, take each mostly has a completely different outcome.
- Lots of gore.
- Communicating with NPCs and various dialog options.
- Huge open map to explore, as well as numerous interiors to search.
- Lots of looting and scavaging for useful items.
- Lots to experience levels as well as lots of perks to choose from.
- Able to wait of sleep to skip to a certain time.
- Tons of different weapons and clothing. Each has it's own unique traits.
- Lots of secrets and Easter eggs.
- Lots of different skills to focus on.
- Lots of collectibles to find and obtain.
- Character customization.
- Able to choose what type if character you want to be.
- Trading and buying items
- Graphics are great (considering the size of the game).
- Environmental hazards (radiation traps ect).
- Weapons and clothing degrade with use. So you have to take care of them.
- Lots of different hideouts/homes to use and some can be decorated
- DLCs add even more missions, areas, equipment, level-ups and perks.

The ONLY thing that's bad, is the random crash or glitch (which don't happen much on 360). But on the PS3 I must admit, it's completely broken. It's much more suited for XBOX and PC.

So yeah great game IMHO anyway.
---
4 scratchy yummy.
PSN ID: TurnipGuy
#9sigma_1932Posted 3/26/2013 12:52:33 AM
Lovethepython posted...
Man this is the best and most complexed game I've ever played!

You haven't played many decent games then, have you? At least not RPG's.

- Huge open map to explore, as well as numerous interiors to search.
- Lots of looting and scavaging for useful items.
- Lots of collectibles to find and obtain.

99% of which consists of the same cut/pasted or script-spawned generic trash mobs from a half-dozen groups, generic loot that you're more than swimming in a few hours into a new game, and maps built out of the same half-dozen tilesets.

The ridiculous amount of generic loot (99% won't get used) makes other parts of the game wholly redundant/ignorable, and lots of collectibles = scavenger-hunt sim, not innovative RPG.

- Lots to experience levels as well as lots of perks to choose from.
- Lots of different skills to focus on.
- Able to choose what type if character you want to be.
- DLCs add even more missions, areas, equipment, level-ups and perks.
- Character customization.
- Tons of different weapons and clothing. Each has it's own unique traits.
- Weapons and clothing degrade with use. So you have to take care of them.
- Limitless replay value.
- Hell of a load of quests, take each mostly has a completely different outcome.
- Communicating with NPCs and various dialog options.
- Trading and buying items

Perks: including those added by DLC, there are fewer uniquely useful perks than there are perk slots in a single build, which means you can take all the ones that significantly affect gameplay in a single playthrough, so that eliminates any customizability past meaningless fluff.

Skills: you can max everything out even if you start with an INT of 1 and take no skill-only perks. That completely eliminates the 'customizability" of your character. Furthermore, the way skills are implemented makes none of them really matter.

Gear: Weapons are still significantly functional at very low CND, and if one breaks you can just pick up another one and keep plugging away with no real dropoff. Due to the combat mechanics and over-abundance of healing items, armor is best chosen for its secondary bonuses/effects than DR value, and only the DR value is affected by CND, so it doesn't really matter until it actually breaks. These two points make the maintenence "feature" nothing more than fluff that just adds tedium.

As for "uniqueness" of gear, there's only at most 3-4 pieces throughout the entire game including DLC that actually have unique effects (i.e. Ghoul mask, CSA, etc). Everything else supposedly "unique" is just the same as the generic version with slightly altered stats.

Quests and NPC interaction: None of it makes any significant difference to gameplay or how the world reacts to your character's actions. Quests in FO3 are basically just another checklist to complete, regardless of how it's done.

In-game economy: Completely and quite easily ignorable, and far too easy to become "rich" way too fast, making it pointless.

Put all this together (lack of uniqueness in character building, lack of choice vs. consequence, lack of meaningful RPG-elements, etc.) and what you have left is extremely repetitive and mediocre FPS, and zero meaningful replayability.

- Lots of gore.
- Able to wait of sleep to skip to a certain time.
- Lots of secrets and Easter eggs.
- Environmental hazards (radiation traps ect).
- Lots of different hideouts/homes to use and some can be decorated

If you have to reach this far, you're on pretty shaky ground. All trivial if not purely cosmetic features.
---
Forgive him father, for he knows not what ticket he purchases...
Yeah I do... see? Zombies! =^.^=
#10ReturnOfFrankPosted 3/28/2013 3:35:07 AM
I love all of the fallout games especially the first two, I still have fond memories of zooming around in the car etc. Fallout Tactics was ok but did get very repetitive after a few missions but it wasn't bad by any means. Fallout 3 and NV are good games but rpg elements have been dumbed down for modern gamers IMO.

Planescape torment is the best Rpg of the last twenty years in my eyes. It's sheer perfection wrapped up into a game that lets you make your own choices and doesn't hold your hand. Combine that with the deepest storyline i've ever encountered in a game, great writing and character design make it the best now. No game post millenium can compare to it in terms of role playing and quality.