Gamestop needs to get a reviewer who likes adventure games

#1earthbound88Posted 8/4/2009 11:58:41 PM

I get that they hate adventure games here, but I like them. However, it's hard to determine which ones to get because they give bad reviews to all of them. I wish there was a reviewer here who liked these games so he could give more comprehensive reviews and ratings instead of just hating everything.

#2jacob2125Posted 8/5/2009 6:19:53 AM

Yeah seriously, I don't think I've ever seen an adventure game with like a 9.0 or higher. Compair that to the 500,000 generic shooters and earn that score because they're fast paced aand don't require much brain power. I like shooters as much as anyone but I also like a game that makes me think every once in a while. Which is more than I can say for Gamespot employees.

#3Franko_3Posted 8/5/2009 8:53:26 AM
well, it's Brett Todd... I don't think he hates adventure game, but he definatly underrate 90% of the game he touch. I remember the 5.5 he gaves to Grand Age Rome, while the average review score is 8...
#4sTyLnKPosted 8/5/2009 9:24:01 PM

This game is not a 4.5. Yes the game is a little bland, yes there are aren't any actual tough puzzles and yes a phone is ringing seemingly every 2 seconds which can get somewhat annoying, but it definately has it's moments. A 4.5 is unplayable IMO and this game is playable. It was just an average game. 6.5 or a 7.

#5sTyLnKPosted 8/5/2009 9:29:08 PM

I will say this. If he ends up reviewing Mata Hari: Betrayal is only a Kiss Away and that game ends up getting a better score then this game then it's official, he knows nothing about adventure games.

#6fastheinzPosted 8/6/2009 4:13:37 PM

Shooters that get a 9 or above are usually incredibly good or famous. Adventure games with 9s are difficult to come by, sure, but that's because:

a. Adventure games are a dying genre.

b. Most of the good adventure games came out in the 90s, and several of those (Longest Journey, was it? And the Monkey Islands, Grim Fandango, etc.) did receive very good scores.

Anyway, the impression I got from the review is that Memento Mori would have been much better as a novel.

And for the record, Grand Ages: Rome has an average score of 7. Just saying.

#7eagles_bandPosted 8/11/2009 8:03:12 AM

^ Like he said, adventure games don't have the large budget and development time that a lot of games do. Sure they're easier to make, but they are a dying breed.

#8gijasPosted 8/11/2009 8:38:49 PM
Franko_3 posted...
well, it's Brett Todd... I don't think he hates adventure game, but he definatly underrate 90% of the game he touch. I remember the 5.5 he gaves to Grand Age Rome, while the average review score is 8...

I agree whole heartedly, Brett is a extremely bias reviewer when it comes to games. He's done work for many other PC sources such as PC Gamer and the like but he has this aquired taste is seems. If he gives a adventure game a 7 or above then in the real world it is a good adventure game, lol.
#9nitakrnPosted 8/15/2009 1:42:15 AM

You took the words right out of my mouth. When I saw the score here I was dumbfounded, it's not the greatest adventure game this year but it's one of the most interesting. I think anyone who wants a review geared more towards adventure gamers should check out adventuregames.com

#10nick2shyPosted 9/15/2009 12:10:16 AM
I don't want a review specifically towards a game I like, but this is ridicules, This is one of the good playable adventure game out now, with a good story and fun moments its definitely not 4.5...