This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steering Wheel Questions

#1christ4ever9889Posted 8/23/2010 7:16:23 PM

Hey everyone, you probably get these questions a lot, but I couldn't find what I was looking for when I searched the forums.

I've never boughten a steering wheel before and I'm wondering what I need to know. After seeing some videos online I just found out the steeringwheel has to be clamped to a table unless you buy a special stand (if this shows how little I know) So I was curious what exactly I should be looking for when I want to buy one.

1. Do all racing games work for all steering wheels. Gran Turismo 5, Burnout Paradise, Motorstorm Apocalypse (I know it's not out) are some of the games I'm looking at right now. But for other purchases, would every steering wheel work for all games. Also if you have any other suggestions that you think are worth a purchase (I've heard mixed things about Need for Speed Shift, but a lot of the bad things are from "casual" racing game fans) I'll gladly take recommendations.

2. What about manual transmission vs. automatic. How does that work if I have a steering wheel meant for automatic cars, but I want to use a manual transmission or vice versa.

3. Do all steering wheels need a table to clamp on to unless I buy a specific stand?

I don't really know exactly what I'm looking for in a steering wheel but I welcome all recommendations, thanks everyone for your help.

#2SyaieyaPosted 8/23/2010 7:30:53 PM
not all steering wheels will work with all games

and not all games support steering wheels

each major steering wheel (fanatech, logitech, ect) will show what games they specifically support

and most games will say if they support wheels at all

they also state what functions they have, force feedback, shifter type, pedals, degree of steering ect

most steering wheels nowadays at the very least have paddle shifters behind the wheel, the high end ones will also have shifter nobs on the side of it. So for a game you would put the settings onto manual and use either the paddle shifter or the stick

There are some wheels that just sit on your lap, the Logitech Wireless comes to mind

but most of those arnt recommended because of their lack of pedals most of the time

I personally just bought a 4 foot by 2 foot shelf that has individual shelves being about 3/4th inch thick and i've mounted 3 different types of logitech wheel to it. It cost me all of 25 dollars at the hardware store to get a shelf and when i'm done racing with it i slide it against the wall and put a plant on it for decoration without even unmounting my wheels from it
#3Finnish84Posted 8/23/2010 7:31:32 PM
"1. Do all racing games work for all steering wheels. Gran Turismo 5, Burnout Paradise, Motorstorm Apocalypse (I know it's not out) are some of the games I'm looking at right now. But for other purchases, would every steering wheel work for all games. Also if you have any other suggestions that you think are worth a purchase (I've heard mixed things about Need for Speed Shift, but a lot of the bad things are from "casual" racing game fans) I'll gladly take recommendations.

2. What about manual transmission vs. automatic. How does that work if I have a steering wheel meant for automatic cars, but I want to use a manual transmission or vice versa.

3. Do all steering wheels need a table to clamp on to unless I buy a specific stand?"

1. Yes, they'll work if you are prepared to invest some money on it. Logitech makes good steering wheels, you should be checking out those. I have a G25, and it's really a quality product. The only thing i dislike is the H gears. It's too loose, real gear stick is stiffer to move. The games that i know for a fact can use G25 and i play are: Dirt 2, Gran turismo 5, R factor, live for speed. I'm sure that all the ones you mentioned can use it also as G25 is logitechs flagship product, and all the racing games have centered around it, as a stantard racing wheel. So it's safe to buy that or the next one that is currently on the market to my knowledge.
Also, having GT5 in mind, they are making a wheel for just this game, it has many different functions like brake balance adjusting DURING the race, and some other stuff i can't recall. Rest assured that you will be able to map those buttons doing whatever you like in other games also.

2. You can choose to use the "ears" behind the wheel for any car to change down or up the gears. If you have auto clutch on, you won't be having to use clutch as you change gears. You can use any combination available that you can imagine, regardless of how you would operate the real car. You can use the ears with a car that has H transmission and vice versa.

3. Yes, all quality ones need a firm table or a stand. You need a firm table if you want to use quality wheel, since the force feedback shakes it and in certain situations it's pushing against the way you're steering, and it's REALLY hard on your hands with full power FFB. You CAN remedy this by putting heavy stuff on the table if it's not strong enough.
#4SyaieyaPosted 8/23/2010 7:33:21 PM
Also if you dont mind dropping the money the G series logitech wheels are very impressive

the DFGT is going to be the best bang for the buck, however it has some design flaws
#5christ4ever9889(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2010 8:31:58 PM

Awesome, thanks you guys for the quickresponses. I'm going to get a logitech G25 steering wheel and I'm looking forward to using it. Thanks again.

#6SyaieyaPosted 8/23/2010 8:37:56 PM
G25 is what I use now, I had the DFGT before that and the DF before that

you just gotta remember with the shifter that it's still quite finicky

i believe they helped it with the G27 but they lost the sequential shifting support which is pretty void with the paddles
#7ARC_NoOnePosted 8/23/2010 10:31:05 PM

Do all racing games work for all steering wheels.

No!

Notable exceptions I can think of off-hand are Blur, Split Second, ALL Motorstorms to date, and Fuel.
None of these work at all.
Most Kart racing games have poor support as well.

Burnout Paradise works with wheels, but isn't that great.
It picks random times to just drift off to the side until you correct it with the wheel.
That sucks in the middle of a race.

Well supported games are the Gran Turismo series, Midnight Club LA, Dirt 2, NFS Shift, and Grid.

I don't really know exactly what I'm looking for in a steering wheel but I welcome all recommendations, thanks everyone for your help.

Here's my stock reply.

ARC_NoOne posted...
The Logitech wheels are the industry standard on the PS3, and work beatifully on the PC as well.

You DO NOT want the wireless one because it doesn't have any pedals with it, and the force feedback motors are much weaker than the others.

You do want the 900 degree steering wheels.
The low end of this starts with the Driving Force Pro, which only has a 10" wheel, compared to all the others with an 11" wheel.
It has an up/down shifter stick, and very small paddle shifters behind the wheel spokes.
It also has cheap plastic pedals with it.
The nice thing about this one and the GT, vs. the G25/G27 is that all the buttons are on the wheel.

The next step up is the Driving Force GT.
That one has the larger wheel, but still has the cheap plastic pedals and small paddle shifters.
It has the same shift setup as the Driving Force Pro.
It also has an in-game setting adjustment system, which will reportedly allow you to adjust things like traction control in-game on games that support it.

Up from this is the G25/G27.
These both have stainless steel wheel and pedals.
They have a clutch, which may be fully supported by Gran Turismo, but is mostly useless in all the other games.
These have a 6-speed gated shifter, and very large paddle shifters.

The G25 shifter will also do up/down mode.
This is important for MCLA because the shifter must be in this mode to enable the Auto transmission in the game.
The G27 is always in Manual mode in MCLA.

The other option available is the Fanatec wheels.
These are very well built, but I don't know how well they are supported by all the currently available games.
Logitech has been the industry standard since the release of the PS3, but the big thing recommending the Fanatec is that it is fully cross-platform (PS3/PC/X360), whereas the Logitech wheels do not work on the X360.

#8halbedier22Posted 8/24/2010 8:10:12 AM
wheel/game comparability chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Racing_Wheels_compatibility
---
this signature is not disruptive
#9christ4ever9889(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2010 12:16:42 PM

Awesome thanks everyone. I'm going to be buying my wheel soon and I'm also going to pick up Need for Speed Shift or Grid. Thanks again.