This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

which steering wheel to get?

#1IvoryKeys88Posted 8/24/2010 7:17:06 PM
i remember there was one built for the game that is made just for this game right? i also saw the topic on the top about faratec or something. so which is best? and if i can't afford one right away, am i really missing out on that much of the overall experience?
---
"Music is the best!" - Frank Zappa
PSN: DesertPenguin09 plays Battlefield Bad Company 2, Killzone 2, Rock Band DLC, & Fallout 3 - Just have fun.
#2SyaieyaPosted 8/24/2010 7:44:03 PM
I think someone had a message already written out about this but in short

logitech DFGT: $99 new $60- $70 used, made for Gran turismo specifically, best bang for the buck, a little lacking if you've experienced the higher level ones with a couple little quirks

Logitech G25/G27: $300 new $140-$180 used, Excellent wheel for PS3/ PC, the G25 lacks extra buttons but it has a sequential shifter and the pedals are much nicer than the DFGT, G27 lacks sequential shifter that the DFGT and G25 have but the 6 speed shifter of the G25 was improved and the paddle shifters work just as well as the old sequential shifter

Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S Wheel: $350-$450 new unknown price used, considered the best wheel for console racing, useable on ps3, pc, and xbox 360, to get full functionality you need to pay extravagantly, long wait time as it's from germany

basically it's

DFGT: Best bang for the buck, fantastic wheel without breaking the bank
G25/G27: very good, very solid, will give you just about everything you need
Fanatec: will give you everything you need, suggested for multi console owners with no need to budget

or in car terms
DFGT= Civic Type R
G25/G27= Mitsubishi Evo/ Subaru STI
Fanatec= Porsche
#3IvoryKeys88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2010 8:38:06 AM
based on a budget, and having the sanity to not spend the price of a console for a steering wheel. lol
---
PSN: DesertPenguin09 plays Battlefield Bad Company 2, Killzone 2, Rock Band DLC, & Fallout 3 - Just have fun.
#4svdbygrce02Posted 8/25/2010 8:47:00 AM

^ Great info..thanks!

#5threedownPosted 8/26/2010 9:34:40 AM
yeah, thanks for the info, ive been looking into picking up the logitech g25 or g27. the last wheel i owned was for the PS1, im sure theyve improved vastly since then! 300$ seems to be the standard retail but ive seen them on sale for as low as 200$
#6IvoryKeys88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2010 11:49:26 AM
i'm gonna grab the DFGT. it has a knob that lets you adjust all the settings like acceleration and brake, traction control
---
#7SyaieyaPosted 8/26/2010 5:12:36 PM
I personally own the DFGT and the G25 as well as the original Driving Force from the previous generation

and the biggest faults I find with the DFGT is that the pedals are too light and so if you get too aggressive with them they like to slide on a hard floor'd surface. (I keep a toolbox behind the pedals to keep them stationary)

another small gripe is that when you need to reverse with the DFGT within Gran Turismo, you can't just slide the shifter from 1st into R

you have to hit the triangle button nomatter what gear type you're using

which seeing as it's situated on the steering wheel it makes it difficult to hold the triangle button and get yourself turned around real quick

the quickest fix for this is just dont spin out

Honestly though these are small gripes and I was perfectly happy with it until i found the G25 for the right price for me
#8IvoryKeys88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2010 8:29:04 PM
nice. yea. if i get a job soon and i can afford it i'll get a used G25, but so far that's good enough. i have a carpet floor, so that's no problem
---
#9mos182Posted 8/27/2010 4:31:11 AM
Wait can you not get a chair with the steering wheel and petals and vibration?
#10SyaieyaPosted 8/27/2010 7:30:28 AM
Personally I don't like those specialized racing chairs

they're large, expensive, impractical, and are only useful for one thing

I bought a 25 dollar shelf to mount both my DFGT and my G25 to at the same time so I can do multiplayer

when i'm done with it I slide the shelf against the wall and put a small plant on it for aesthetic nonsense purposes

I don't even need to dismount the wheel

there's nothing wrong with the larger setups if it helps you or you wanna put in the money and effort, I just don't always want something sititng in the middle of the room