This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I turn off Skid Recovery Force?

#1RED823479829378Posted 12/24/2010 12:44:53 PM
I notice the game defaults most of the assists to [off], I figure they also expect me to turn off skid recovery force after awhile of getting used to the game.

I also notice a lot of the players with the best time have TCM set to off, while the default is at 5? Why?
---
Support Nintendo http://www.petitiononline.com/port2gcn/petition.html
#2pez2k_Posted 12/24/2010 12:49:49 PM
TCS prevents wheelspin by dramatically reducing throttle, which is slower than manually using exactly enough throttle to balance on the edge of traction. ASM dabs the brakes to stabilise the car, which also slows you down. The skid recovery force however is basically just a big finger from the sky that nudges your car if it begins to slide, and pretty much turns off weight transfer during cornering.

I'd personally recommend driving without ASM and SRF, the former slows you down a lot and the latter is basically just easy mode.

---
"if you don't know break from break, you don't know jack about cars" - dH
#3LordRavielPosted 12/24/2010 12:54:23 PM
^That.

Skid recovery force is more like a cheat than an aid as it actually increases grip allowing the car to behave in a way that wouldn't normally be possible. All the others just make adjustments to your inputs that you could make yourself. I ususally keeep TCS between 0 and 5, ABS on 1 and everything else off.
---
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5729069/Disgaea%203.xls
#4jennysalalaPosted 12/24/2010 12:54:35 PM
Get used to driving without what the person above me said, with the exception of skid recovery force. Once you're used to having TCS and ASM off, and it'll be quick, try turning off SRF. I've gotten used to having it off, but I still can't manage to play without ABS. I always have to have it at 1 :(
#5RED823479829378(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2010 12:56:59 PM
Yeah. Well everything is already set to off to begin with as the default settings, only SRF was set to on. I'll turn that off. I'll also drop TCM to off.

---
Support Nintendo http://www.petitiononline.com/port2gcn/petition.html
#6lowhighkangPosted 12/24/2010 1:00:08 PM
Skid Recovery Force is stupid.

I understand why some would want it, but I don't understand why the game defaults it to on. Luckily, I have a habit of going through the options before I start playing a game, but god knows the amount of people who have that setting on and wouldn't normally want it.

Why polyphony dubs this game as the "real driving simulator" and then defaults "easy mode - SRF" to the ON setting is beyond me.

---
LHK
#7pez2k_Posted 12/24/2010 1:02:55 PM
If SRF wasn't on by default, there would be a much higher number of first-time purchasers on this board complaining about how they keep spinning out and having to be told to turn SRF on. As it stands, you simply have some good drivers unknowingly being aided.

---
"if you don't know break from break, you don't know jack about cars" - dH
#8Orestes417Posted 12/24/2010 1:50:28 PM
Give you a hint as to why it's on by default. Most people use the DS3, especially newbies.

---
I'm going stir-crazy, and I've joined the ranks of the walking brain-dead, but otherwise I'm just peachy.
#9coldnapalmPosted 12/24/2010 2:09:00 PM
Oddly enough I don't need skid recovery with the controller but I need it with this latest offical support of the DFGT wheel. The force feedback has gotten ramped up so much that even with a 1 setting on force feeback, I can't make a turn without having skid recovery on...which is kinda lame (and this is when the bloody force feedback doesn't rip the wheel off the table). I can play with the controller with everything except ABS off...ABS is set to 1 (ABS off and none of the cars drive like they should...for instance I spun out in prius...that's not suppose to happen)...with the new feedback, I need to have skid recover and ASM at strong before the stupid side to side motion of the wheel doesn't cause me to spin out...going STRAIGHT. No idea what the hell they did with offically supporting this wheel...but they offically supported the wheel to be useless for me...sigh.
#10natasha8384Posted 12/24/2010 2:30:13 PM
I notice the game defaults most of the assists to [off], I figure they also expect me to turn off skid recovery force after awhile of getting used to the game.

I also notice a lot of the players with the best time have TCM set to off, while the default is at 5? Why?

-----
the game starts you with very mediocre tires, so the default TCS 5 is somewhat to compensate for not having racing softs which can handle almost anything without additional assists. Otherwise the *5* is also a glitched to default and you have to check it occasionally. Assists are more useful when you get those super powerful cars. However there is no general rule how and when to use them. I'd say, use assists when it becomes counter-productive not to use them or is just matter of pride keeping you from turning them on. But when you get stuck with somewhat uncompetitive vehicle in a race (especially ovals) and you need the top possible speed just to keep up with others then turn all assists off. If you drive a bit more around I think you'll figure it out what fits your driving style.
More topics from this board...
it was fun guysKaZooo2611/22 1:54PM