Easily the most confusing game ever!

#1Kid MazePosted 6/20/2014 10:29:53 PM
I know there are four ways to win but I can't seem to take over a city to save my life!! And every time I try and build my way to victory another country captures my cities that I built in!! I look online for a how to play and all I get is the same old, "4 ways to win" BS. Doesn't really tell you how just what to do.
---
XBOX live gamertag: S1Y M4ZE
#2mrklarrydPosted 6/21/2014 12:27:06 AM
Expansions and tech is the key. Building stuff is pretty situational.

Each tech gives you access to something different. Normally the defensive units of a particular tier > the offensive units of a particular tier. So legions will lose to fortified archers most of the time. But knights will beat archers (etc).

Best way to have success (this is gonna be pretty broad) is to settle your city, put both workers on forests immediately. Build two warriors. After the second warrior, put both workers on tech and research your way to code of laws (check the tech tree in game to see how). While this is happening, if one warrior sees another civ before ~3000 BC (3500 BC on Deity), you can usually conquer them and set that city's workers all to tech, doubling your research. If not, just keep collecting things and conquering barbarians. Should end up with 100 gold at some point. Build a second city with your free settler. Make sure it's near lots of water and food.

Switch to republic.

Now, with whatever is the highest population city, rush another settler. Build a new city. Immediately rush another settler from the new city. Repeat until you have, like 10 or more cities, all with every worker on tech.

Once this is done, you will have such a huge tech advantage that you should be able to figure the rest out on your own and you can start tweaking the strategy once you've got it down (early irrigation, etc).
#3bluegender4everPosted 6/25/2014 11:10:37 PM
mrklarryd posted...
Expansions and tech is the key. Building stuff is pretty situational.

Each tech gives you access to something different. Normally the defensive units of a particular tier > the offensive units of a particular tier. So legions will lose to fortified archers most of the time. But knights will beat archers (etc).

Best way to have success (this is gonna be pretty broad) is to settle your city, put both workers on forests immediately. Build two warriors. After the second warrior, put both workers on tech and research your way to code of laws (check the tech tree in game to see how). While this is happening, if one warrior sees another civ before ~3000 BC (3500 BC on Deity), you can usually conquer them and set that city's workers all to tech, doubling your research. If not, just keep collecting things and conquering barbarians. Should end up with 100 gold at some point. Build a second city with your free settler. Make sure it's near lots of water and food.

Switch to republic.

Now, with whatever is the highest population city, rush another settler. Build a new city. Immediately rush another settler from the new city. Repeat until you have, like 10 or more cities, all with every worker on tech.

Once this is done, you will have such a huge tech advantage that you should be able to figure the rest out on your own and you can start tweaking the strategy once you've got it down (early irrigation, etc).

Good tips. Follow this advice.

Early units of any kind are essentially to getting a good start; warriors are the option for most civs, since they are so cheap they can be put out in 3 turns on a standard starting location.

Expanding is absolutely KEY to victory, especially as you play on harder difficulties or the game gets longer. The computer is a cheating bastard and will abuse you if you don't do something to keep up. That something is build more cities. More cities give you more everything: more science for tech research, more gold for rushing, more production for building stuff, and more places to build a unit as well.

To add to what mrklarryd has said already, I would suggest getting the Bronzeworking tech early if you are a newer player. This will let you build archers, a defensive unit to protect your cities and hold choke points early on. Move on through the tech trees and get better defensive units as you go. Major units to shoot for are pikemen (democracy) and modern infantry (mass production). Riflemen really aren't worth the time to get, you can easily get much better modern infantry almost as fast if your games are going late enough to need them.

Learn to build armies. 3 units together, press Y makes an army of that unit type. Archer armies can turn away units as high tier as knights in the right situations.

When defending, fortify your defending units. Select the unit and hit X when its where you want to hold out. If it's a defensive unit (militia, warrior, archer, pikeman, rifleman, modern infantry) it will gain a bonus to its defense after 2 turns. Units outside cities will erect fortresses after 3 turn of defending, further increasing their defense. This is useful for holding chokes, but don't do it near enemy borders! If you're not at war, the borders can expand and push your units away.

As for expanding, you'll want at least 8-10 cities if you can't get more. More is always better, but don't make cities just for the AI to take if you can't defend them. A general good rule of thumb is to stay away from the AI cities so they can't flip yours and have a longer trip to attack. Good milestones to shoot for: 10 cities by 0AD, 20 cities by 1000AD. If you get more cities by those times, or that amount of cities earlier you are doing great.
---
10,000 Days in the fire is long enough...you're going home... http://www.petitiononline.com/RRH53888/petition.html stop him!
#4bluegender4everPosted 6/25/2014 11:21:15 PM(edited)
for some good general tips and to show you the expand/tech method, check out some of the videos by this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOHAIO9dk1M&index=37&list=PL24D0D0056B013467

He always plays deity like me, so there is more risk, but it will work even better on lower difficulties.
The Americans in the example I posted are very overpowered, but you'll get the general idea. He also has lots of little general tips about gameplay that other vids lack (either no audio or the player doesnt know what the hell they are doing) so make sure you are listening to him comment on things.

Let me know if there's anything specific you need help with and I'll do my best to help you sort it out. I pretty much play a game or two of Deity daily, with random civs.
---
10,000 Days in the fire is long enough...you're going home... http://www.petitiononline.com/RRH53888/petition.html stop him!
#5Kid Maze(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2014 12:21:06 PM
I can't seem to get a tech victory. Every time I'm close I run out of turns. I even discover future tech and it never gave me an option to build anything to get the tech win. Soon after it said " last 5 turns". Is there a way to make the game longer? More turns?
---
#6bluegender4everPosted 6/29/2014 3:40:10 AM(edited)
nah. The game always ends at 2100AD. Unless you play the beta centauri scenario. I believe that one never times out (or it at least has extended turns), but you can't win tech victory on that one either.

Sounds like you missed the part about building the space station and launching it. That's required for a tech victory. Here's the sequence of events needed for tech victory:
1.) Research Space Flight tech. Requires Advanced Flight, Electronics, And Nuclear Power to be researched first.
2.) Build your space station out of the various parts. They are listed under buildings after you complete Space Flight. You need at least 1x Life support module, 1x Habitation module, 1x fuel module, and 1x propulsion module to complete it, but it will take many turns to win unless to give it 4x propulsion modules, in which case it will win in only 3 turns
3.) When the SS is launchable, you can do so right from the screen that keeps showing it to you as you build it. If you want to wait for 4x propulsion modules, keep hitting "B" to back out and build more. When you are ready to launch, pick "space station report" from the select menu to bring it up, and launch it.
4.) After you launch the complete SS, you must hold your own capital for all the turns it takes it to reach Alpha Centauri. All the computers usually declare war at this point, if not earlier, so take precautions to make sure they can't upset your victory. At the end of you wait period (as little as 3 turns), you win so long as you hold your own cap and nobody else has won yet.

Tech victories are the easiest, in my opinion. It's just a matter of setting yourself up, both early on and throughout the whole game, to shave off turns waiting for gold to rush wonders/space station parts or research to complete.

Important things to do for tech victory:
-Make sure cities have their trade tiles flipped to science at all times, at least until you are done researching Space Flight. You can get gold easily by other means, and quite a lot of it if you have a buttload of science coming in.

-Save your great scientists for insta-rushing important, long-winded techs. Important ones to get 1st are Industrialization and The Corporation (combined +10 gold per city every turn if you get them first). Space Flight takes a long while to finish and it's always nice to cut it short to start earlier. Other nice picks are University and Literacy for bonus science if you get them first.

-Democracy really helps, both in cutting turns off your research times and helping stockpile gold. Libraries, especially for the civs that get them cheap (Chinese) can be good too. Don't waste time building Universities.

-A Great Builder should be used to rush the East India Company wonder if you can

-Save as much gold as you can once you start getting good amount coming in from Industrialization/The Corporation. You need roughly 6000 gold to rush all the SS parts for a barebones approach in one turn and more like 8000-9000 to get 4x propulsion modules on for a fast win. note: +50% gold civs (Spanish, Zulu, Aztecs) require more gold to rush these (you make more as well).

-Make *sure* the AI won't take your capital after you launch. The AI rarely go right for the throat, but don't take any chances. Defend with some armies, city walls and naval support if necessary.

Doing this should help you to shave off turns before 2100AD. The importance of a good start cannot be understated, so try to expand early as much as you can and make sure cities have water (for science) and food (to grow). Production becomes less important the longer the game goes on.
---
#7Kid Maze(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 12:53:41 PM
Can someone give me a step by step process fr turn 1. What should I do very first thing for a tech victory? I always seem to run out of time. Do I make settlers first to get more land? Armies to guard my starter land on turn 1?
---
#8bluegender4everPosted 6/30/2014 4:57:33 PM
Okay, if you are still having trouble pick the Americans. This will make it really easy. Your free GP can help explore or give you a big headstart on gold/tech/getting out warriors

The first thing you should do is settle in a spot with at least two water and two trees. If you play on the lower difficulties your city will already be settled as such, and even if you have to move your own settler, you always start in a proper position.

-Select your city and click the left stick. This lets you control your city's workers manually. Place them both on trees

-Start warrior production. you can build them in 2.5 turns, so you can 3 out in only 8 turns. Build a few of them (I almost always make 3 so I can form an army later on) and immediately send them out looking around. Send the first one in one direction, send the next ones in other directions to explore faster. In the first few turns exploration is vital. If you get a Great Builder, start on a galleon, use the GB on it, switch to warriors and rush for 0 gold. BAM! three warriors in one turn.

-Things to look for with your warriors: friendly villagers that give you free stuff, barbarian huts to attack for more free stuff + veteran upgrades, free gold from name tiles (kinda random, but you can learn to spot likely name tiles around rivers and dense trees pretty easily), and a general scouting of the land around you, including where the other civs are, chokepoints you can use later, nearby islands which may have relics on them (islands are always good to expand to if you have a boat too). All this stuff will help you control your territory and buy time if you need it to survive attacks.

-When you're done with warriors, L3 on your city again and swap it to all water tiles, make sure you flip to science (Y button). Start researching towards code of laws. The path is Alphabet->Writing->Code of Laws, so pick alphabet from the select menu or when automatically prompted next turn. If you started with a Great Scientist you can use him on one of these techs (the later the better).

-During all this exploring, attacking barbs, getting free gold/units etc, you should try to get 100G banked as soon as possible for the free settler. Remember you can sell your free units like Spies and Horsemen for cash if you need it and don't have much more exploration to do. You can also do this with caravans, though you earn more gold by sending them to another civ. Free Galleons are super valuable so I wouldn't sell them unless you have exhausted all other options for 100g first.

-When you get your 100g settler, no matter how early it is, move it to a spot with a lot of water and some food nearby and settle. Switch the city to all science to speed up your research towards code of laws.

-Don't build settlers until you finish code of laws (you won't be able to anyway unless you get creative). Once CoL pops, you can switch to Republic and build settlers out of even 2 population cities. If you have saved up a lot of gold from earlier, you can rush them for 40 gold right away, or wait til the medieval age to rush them for a measly 20g. Awesome.

-Expand all over the place, looking for lots of water with some food nearby. Keep your cities going on one food, the rest science so they grow as you research.

-You have a couple options for tech paths. If you don't care about irrigation, keep picking easy techs (pottery, HBR, bronzeworking) until you can rush settlers for 20g then expand. To get a nifty pop boost to help you expand, do pottery>masonry>irrigation after Code of Laws is done. Otherwise do Literacy>Democracy and swap to Democracy to speed up your tech. Make sure you finish expanding first.
---
#9bluegender4everPosted 6/30/2014 5:32:02 PM
-Your overall final tech path is to get Space Flight. Teching is a bit complicated; if you are getting enough science per turn you can skip over some techs and research the higher ones for an increased cost, and you get some techs for free that the AI has already finished when you research higher a higher tech. Suffice to say, the more science you have, the faster you can go through the tech tree, so more science = better. Keep growing your cities, make sure they have access to plenty of water tiles, and always keep them focused on science.

Space Flight requires three high tier techs, and you will be researching many techs for a long time if you don't have a lot of science coming in.

The complete tech path is:

Alphabet>Writing>Code of Laws>Literacy>Democracy>Pottery>Masonry>Mathematics>University>Bronze Working>Iron Working>Invention>Construction>Engineering>Steam Power>Metallurgy>Currency>Banking>Industrialization>Electricity>Railroad>Mass Production>The Corporation>Atomic Theory>Flight>Nuclear Power>Electronics>Advanced Flight>Space Flight.

29 techs.

It is exactly as long-winded and difficult as it looks. In reality though, you can get many, many of the techs for free by jumping techs through lots of science, getting techs back-filled by the AI, trading or buying techs from the AI, from villagers and barb huts, and you can also use great scientists to instantly finish a long tech (like the corporation or space flight) to save turns. Getting Democracy early and staying in it buffs your science inflow. Literacy and University should be researched as soon as you can, because if you get them first you get bonus science in each city. Likewise for Industrialization and The Corporation, except you get gold. You can use that gold on defensive units early on or stockpile it for gold milestone bonuses early on. If you feel like building libraries with your gold, go ahead, it helps and they are cheap, but stay away from universities. Markets can help you stockpile gold later too but not needed whatsoever, banks are not necessary at all and not recommended for tech victory.

Once you get into a position where you have many cities and are well defended, in democracy with a nice science income and teching reasonably fast, you can start to think of things like building wonders to help speed things along, or stockpiling your gold for use later on rushing the spacestation parts. You won't need as much playing as Americans, but you still need to stockpile somewhere around 4-5K.

If you need more help, try specifics and I can work those out for you. Beyond what's been talked about already and the videos I suggested there isn't a whole lot more to it.
---
#10Kid Maze(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 8:14:21 PM
So you need to do the space station in parts? There's where I went wrong
---