Which faction has the best all-around navy + faction overview

#1ARMEDnPISSEDPosted 8/22/2009 3:12:29 AM
I have the original SupCom and love it. I especially love naval battles... question is, which faction has the all-around best navy? Which faction has the ships that are huge and have gigantic guns? I play mostly UEF and love that gigantic T3 battleship they have in the original... I don't exactly recall what other factions have considering the fact that I haven't really played them enough.

Also, can anyone give me a small overview for all the races? Like the pros and cons for each faction, etc? Thx.
---
I'm a signature virus. Please add me to your signature and help me spread!
#pch2 @ banani.us
#2pkcRAISTLINPosted 8/23/2009 12:29:39 AM

ARMEDnPISSED posted...
I have the original SupCom and love it. I especially love naval battles... question is, which faction has the all-around best navy?

are you talking about forged alliance? if you haven't picked it up yet, get it yesterday.

im not really an expert regarding navy because you don't see it too often in most ranked games. but like most things in FA (and one of the many reasons i love it) it depends on how you use your units and what you're trying to do.

the general consensus is that cybran have the best tier 2 navy, which is normally the highest navy level you see in competitive play. the seraphim have gimped destroyers because of an aim and/or damage bug, which makes them less effective. people complain about UEF navy but i love their shield boats so much i don't see where they're coming from. aeon can be especially good in the hands of a good player because of all their floating units they can combine with their navy.

ARMEDnPISSED posted...

Which faction has the ships that are huge and have gigantic guns? I play mostly UEF and love that gigantic T3 battleship they have in the original... I don't exactly recall what other factions have considering the fact that I haven't really played them enough.

all factions have big, heavy hitters.

ARMEDnPISSED posted...

Also, can anyone give me a small overview for all the races? Like the pros and cons for each faction, etc? Thx.

lol, that's a HUGE question ;)

balance:

1. UEF

2. Cybran

3. Aeon

4. Seraphim

but the differences between the top 3 are really marginal. UEF and cybran are the easiest factions to learn, i STRONGLY recommend against playing aeon until you've learned (and really, mastered) the game. they are incredibly hard to use well; ive played hundreds of games and watched thousands of replays, am ranked in the top 10% of active players, and i still can't use them very well. they require a LOT of attention and micro and skill.

never really been a fan of the seraphim because none of their units really had the "wow, cool!" factor. but really, if you're a good player you should be able to win with any faction.

DO NOTE: forged alliance is a COMPLETELY different game to the original supreme commander; much less logistics much more tactics, warfare and micro. the economic system and every single unit (except walls) have been re-balanced and you'll need to forget everything you learned while playing vanilla.

ive posted a basic play guide in one of the threads here which should be enough to get you started in FA.

#3TairneanachPosted 9/7/2009 6:49:02 AM
Could you link the thread please, Raistlin? I'd be very interested in reading your guide.
#4TairneanachPosted 9/7/2009 7:17:09 AM
Never mind, I just found it.
#5pkcRAISTLINPosted 9/7/2009 6:17:55 PM

Just note that it's a little out of date, and you should use it as a guide only; if you find something that works better for you then disregard anything ive written.