Buying a house in Skingrad

#1aw_chrisPosted 5/25/2010 2:24:12 PM
I've just finished the main questline, and am going back over some of the side quests that I didn't do earlier. On "Buying a house in Skingrad", it says to speak to someone with a funny name to buy a house. The thing is, I found him dead earlier in the game and looted his body. I've still got the key that I took from him - do I use it somewhere to get the quest to move on? The quest marker is set on the ground where I found his dead body a while back, but there's nothing on the ground at all any more.
#2battleblastPosted 5/25/2010 2:52:08 PM
Unfortunately the quest is broken, and you can't continue. Had the same problem with one of the Countesses. Though I admit I had a little too much fun with Frenzy at the time. I wonder if her husband regrets killing her...

Though stuff like that can happen if the guy isn't marked as important. In fact the Countess I mentioned...it's not uncommon for it to happen to her.
---
Civilized men are more discourteous than savages they can be impolite without having their skulls split.
Official Phantom Stranger of the C&GN
#3aw_chris(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2010 3:18:50 PM
Ah well. I'm sure I'll play through the game again, maybe I'll do it next time. This was my first playthrough and I definitely didn't grasp half of what the game was about - 35 hours in and I'm only at level 5 with the main quest completed, so I've certainly missed lots of stuff... I'm not really a big RPG-er and this has taken quite a lot of getting used to! In fact I still don't really understand how I could have done anything different to level up more than I did (or didn't, as the case may be)...

Actually, hold on - was that guy supposed to be dead when I looted his body? Or should he have been alive, but something happened before I got to him which is what broke the quest?
#4battleblastPosted 5/25/2010 4:18:37 PM
should he have been alive, but something happened before I got to him which is what broke the quest?

Bingo. One of the amazing things about Oblivion is how much stuff is going on in the background.

I'm not really a big RPG-er and this has taken quite a lot of getting used to!

The Elder Scrolls series is quite different from most rpgs, but that's actually for the best in your case.

In fact I still don't really understand how I could have done anything different to level up more than I did (or didn't, as the case may be)...

The only way to do anything in Oblivion is by doing. If you press B, and go over to the stats tab(the one that highlights your health/magic/fatigue bars). Press left or right till you see major skills. Major Skills typically govern how fast you can level. That said just because you can level doesn't mean you should. The game has leveled enemies. Which means there are different enemie sets for different levels. These get more challenging.

The faster you raise your Major Skills the faster you can level, but Minor Skills help too. If you have any questions about how to level skills feel free to ask. There is also a trainer less walkthru in the faq section that is quite handy.
---
Civilized men are more discourteous than savages they can be impolite without having their skulls split.
Official Phantom Stranger of the C&GN
More topics from this board...
Weynon Priory HELPCenterShot512/22 12:18PM