Question about regular Oblivion and GotY Oblivion save file compatibility..

#1eayost95Posted 8/12/2009 8:54:51 AM
So I bought the regular Oblivion a long time ago but never played it but was thinking of starting today. My brother owns the GotY edition of the game. If I get hooked on the game and want to play through the expansions, could I then get his game, install it, and load my save from the original and access the new content or should I just wait and get the GotY edition from him and start from that? Thanks!
#2SonicBoom344Posted 8/12/2009 10:30:13 AM
could I then get his game, install it, and load my save from the original and access the new content

If he has the GOTY version like you said, that would not work. Since the add-ons are combined with the game on one disc, there isn't a way to just install the add-ons. You'd have to use his disk to play the game.

should I just wait and get the GotY edition from him and start from that?

This would probably be the better idea. You could either just use his disk from the start, or play through the normal game first, and then use his disk to play the add-ons later.
#3JoolsyPosted 8/12/2009 11:42:24 AM
^Is this right Sonic? To be honest TC I do not know how the SI DLC works as far as the GotYE is concerned.

It might install the entirety of SI to HD on installation (in the same way as if the DLC were downloaded) - in which case loading your brothers GotYE version and then playing using your own Vanilla edition would work just fine.

However, I have no way to confirm whether this works or not.

Try installing your brothers GotYE version then restarting the PS3 with your own Vanilla disk inserted, play the game and head to "The door in Niben Bay" - if you can enter and play SI then it should be fine.

I'd be very interested to know if it works.

#4AlekPej79Posted 8/12/2009 11:55:48 AM
OK, I decided to come back. TC, are you talking about an original save from original disc to work on a GOTY disc? If yes, it will work, if not, then I don't understand the question.
---
Ignoring PapaRosario and Citrate1007, I have no time to argue and being said "Don't listen to Alek, he doesn't know anything.
#5JoolsyPosted 8/12/2009 12:19:44 PM
^Did you go somewhere?

I think TC wants to know; if after he has installed the game with SI (from a GotYE disk) can he then play the game using a Vanilla disk.

It boils down to whether SI behaves differently if installed from disk than it does if you had downloaded it - that's my take.

#6JoolsyPosted 8/12/2009 12:28:15 PM
*spots Alek's new sig.*

LOL. Ok, I see. If you don't mind me saying Alek, don't sweat the small things mate.

#7AlekPej79Posted 8/12/2009 12:30:35 PM

^Did you go somewhere?

I think TC wants to know; if after he has installed the game with SI (from a GotYE disk) can he then play the game using a Vanilla disk.

It boils down to whether SI behaves differently if installed from disk than it does if you had downloaded it - that's my take.

~ Warning: May Contain Nuts ~

I left for being attacked and they arguing with me for my comments and my experience, but I missed you and PadreV and helping people, so I came back. Can you Joolsy and PadreV sign up to http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=f426161ee6df2089cf7380b3ab0f2392&act=idx , over there are mature members.

Thanks for clarifying his problem, I am not sure then.
---
Ignoring PapaRosario and Citrate1007, I have no time to argue and being said "Don't listen to Alek, he doesn't know anything".
#8JoolsyPosted 8/12/2009 12:47:55 PM
Hey Bro - we missed you too - natch.

LIke I said, don't sweat it - geez, if I got upset every time someone insulted me on this site I'd have left ages ago.

I might sign up the Bethsoft forums too though - I am a massive fan of Bethesda games - even though they are generally glitch ridden frustratobots in disguise.

At the end of the day though GameFAQs rules for gaming forums - I luurve it here.

If someone insults me, well, if I deserve it then I apologise (like I did to you, just the other day, I recall) if not they are getting it back with knobs on.

#9eayost95(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2009 12:48:57 PM
I want to install the game via the vanilla disc first, and play it for a while. What I want to know is what happens then when I put in the GotY disc? Will it install like a normal game, and will I then have a vanilla and GotY edition installed on my PS3, or will it recognize the vanilla install and only install the expansion data? Either way, the final question is whether my save files from playing it through on the vanilla disc will be bootable via the GotY disc.
#10AlekPej79Posted 8/12/2009 12:51:13 PM
TC, it didn't work I tried it. I have both disc. You know what you can do, put another user name on PS3. Well, find a friend that trust you. This friend has to have bought the SI download, put that PSN log in on that user name, so you can download SI from his account. Buy once, download a bunch. On my PS3 I tried to put my PSN login in all the user names, but the PS3 would let me, told me to create another. So that means for you a friend with SI download.
---
Ignoring PapaRosario and Citrate1007, I have no time to argue and being said "Don't listen to Alek, he doesn't know anything".