Weird objects, missing textures?

#1XpeCt Of MagiPosted 5/6/2009 11:02:38 AM
I've played HL2 and Ep1 but that was a while ago and I've just beat chapter one in ep 2. Just outside the door you take to enter the transmission room in chapter 1, there is an object that looks like it's missing its textures and the object Alyx uses to climb up also doesn't have any textures. The elevator that crashed was transparent too.

I just want to know if it's because of the effects of the portal/what happened in Ep 1 or a reference to Portal (which also had transparent objects), or if it's just a graphic glitch.
---
PC tech gets better year by year. You just can't top a system that's constantly evolving. - GameSpy
#2bhamvPosted 5/7/2009 6:13:57 AM
Doesn't happen to me, nor have I heard any other reports of this happening, so I'm guessing it's a graphical glitch.
#3Anon8492Posted 5/7/2009 6:43:16 AM
Transparent objects? That's not the sign of a missing texture, a purple and black checkerboard pattern is the sign of a missing texture.

That having been said, I've never heard of that happening before.
---
http://www.brossmancorp.com/index.php
#4XpeCt Of Magi(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2009 6:52:46 PM
I've taken a screenshot and uploaded it, which I probably should have done in the first place..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38163801@N05/3511980000
---
PC tech gets better year by year. You just can't top a system that's constantly evolving. - GameSpy
#5bhamvPosted 5/7/2009 7:35:44 PM
Yeah, that's definitely not supposed to happen.

But it's kinda cool, actually.
#6Ultimate_TimmehPosted 5/8/2009 9:17:46 AM
It's graphical issue that happens every now and then. I get it in TF2
on random occations. But in my case, the whole floor becomes a
wireframe model of itself..
What are your system specs?
---
"Once upon a time there was this guy. And he was awesome. The end.
Except that his parents were murdered. To death. BY MURDERERS."
#7XpeCt Of Magi(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2009 7:00:23 PM
My specs

CPU: E6600 2.4 GHz
MB: nForce 680i
RAM: 4x1GB 1066MHz
GFX: 8800GT
SC: X-Fi Xtremegamer

It's not random in my case though. It's always the same objects. Haven't noticed it in TF2 though, but I stick to official maps. Only noticed it in Portal and Ep 2. Maybe Ep 1 but I can't remember.
---
#8Ultimate_TimmehPosted 5/11/2009 9:50:01 AM
The TF2 glitch I'm talking about mostly happens in Gold Rush stage 3 for me.
But oh well.

Your pc is definitely good enough to run the game. It could be an installation error.
If you care about it enough, you can always try verifying the game integrity or reinstalling.
---
"Once upon a time there was this guy. And he was awesome. The end.
Except that his parents were murdered. To death. BY MURDERERS."
#9SnakePlisskin44Posted 5/13/2009 9:37:28 PM
I had the Purple and Black checkerboard problem with Episode One. Theres an Update on, well, we're not supposed to talk about torrents here, but if you have a legal copy of the game, I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. The update fixes all the missing objects and such for Episode One for Directx 7 cards and I believe people had problems on the Directx 8 cards.

You'd probably have to decompile the gcf for materials and such somewhere for Source and add the files that way. The ones specific to Episode One. Or, download the standalone Episode One, which, like I said, if you have a legal copy, I don't see why it would be a problem.

Also, I have been able to get Episode Two to work on a Geforce2 MX 200. No joke. You can either patch the engine.dll in the bin folder or download the correct file from a website:

http://mixman.res.lt/?status=articles&show=4

If none of those work, I can explain how to do it so you don't have to watch the crappy video on YouTube to figure it out.

Only issues are, you're gonna laugh at this, water doesn't render, its white. The ionic storm in the beginning doesn't render, which would look awesome if it did. The citadel smoke is a whirling light blue wireframe. White wireframe vortigaunt eyes and lastly that I know of, colorful wireframe blocks after shooting a zombie. lol

So, its not great but it works and in some parts its not bad. You don't really notice too much difference. I can turn all the settings up and run it at 800x600, which ain't great. I played it on a 5200 Geforce and, it was hard to play at full settings on the lowest resolution. That did include HDR and you know, full Directx 9 support. Didn't surprise me. So, you need a good card to play this game to its full potential. Obviously most of you know that.

But, for some of you, stuck with a crappy power supply and an agp only motherboard with a Geforce2 in it, very little money, this a good fix and allows the game to be playable. I haven't gotten too far in the game yet so I'm not so sure if there are actual obstacles where it won't allow you to continue.

If I find a way to fix the textures, I will reply back.

Hope I helped someone.
#10XpeCt Of Magi(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2009 4:09:17 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I re-downloaded ep 2 and the problem is gone. Now I kind of miss it. :(

Portal Spoiler
It enhanced my Portal experience since only a few objects outside the test rooms were affected. Made me think it was some kind of Matrix experience. Portal became deeper than it was.
---