How is this game like Zelda????

#1Master_PwnerPosted 8/10/2012 7:56:23 AM
I have seen a bunch of people comparing this to Zelda, going so far as saying this is a Zelda clone.
Honestly, I think this game is pretty similar to Devil May Cry or other games in the genre, but Zelda??
What because you defeat enemies and there are puzzles?
I don't see at ALL how this is a Zelda clone, is Zelda the only adventure/puzzle game people have ever played or what?
I only started playing to be fair, maybe put 2-3 hours in, but this game looks an awful more like a Hack'n'slash game than a puzzle Zelda game, and even if it were, the similarities end there. There are tons of games like this =/.
---
GLACIER FTW
Coq
#2Shadowblade2Posted 8/10/2012 4:40:42 PM
It's probably because you just started that you don't see it yet. Once you get into a "dungeon", you'll see the similarities right away. You got multiple floors of rooms of puzzles/fights with the signature Zelda progression structure. An item that you work your way toward for the first half of the dungeon, and then you use said item to clear the second half. And to top it all off, you find keys to unlock doors and even get a map that shows you things the same way the Zelda ones did.
---
"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
#3KingisLegendPosted 8/11/2012 3:32:44 PM
People who say Darksiders=Zelda are High..... This game is not Zelda it is Darksiders and nothing else. I've been called a Troll sure but everyone who says this game is like Zelda is 100% more of a Troll than i am. YOU DIG?!
---
Guns For Show, Knives For A Pro
#4StaticPenguinPosted 8/11/2012 5:21:08 PM
KingisLegend posted...
People who say Darksiders=Zelda are High..... This game is not Zelda it is Darksiders and nothing else. I've been called a Troll sure but everyone who says this game is like Zelda is 100% more of a Troll than i am. YOU DIG?!

Have you played Zelda? This game progresses very much like a Zelda game. You go into dungeons, find items on multiple floors, then get to a boss. Walk around a hub world, use new tools from dungeons to open more dungeons and then repeat.
---
I named him Waggleton P. Tallylicker. I never got the chance to tell him. He will be remembered. ~ Grayson Hunt
#5chris1001 the sequelPosted 8/11/2012 11:46:38 PM
KingisLegend posted...

Yea, I don't get the comparisons. It's not like Zelda has dungeons, and in these dungeons you eventually find a map and an item that shows you where the treasure chests are, and you certainly don't find a new piece of equipment in every dungeon that is key to solving puzzles and defeating the boss of that dungeon. and of course you don't get a life extension upon beating said boss. Oh and you don't come across a horse to allow easier traveling across the land.

The game is not an exact copy of Zelda, but anyone who doesn't see the extreme similarities either has never played a zelda game or hasn't played past the first 3 hours of Darksiders.
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html
#6KingisLegendPosted 8/12/2012 5:02:00 AM
chris1001 the sequel posted...
KingisLegend posted...

Yea, I don't get the comparisons. It's not like Zelda has dungeons, and in these dungeons you eventually find a map and an item that shows you where the treasure chests are, and you certainly don't find a new piece of equipment in every dungeon that is key to solving puzzles and defeating the boss of that dungeon. and of course you don't get a life extension upon beating said boss. Oh and you don't come across a horse to allow easier traveling across the land.

The game is not an exact copy of Zelda, but anyone who doesn't see the extreme similarities either has never played a zelda game or hasn't played past the first 3 hours of Darksiders.

Blah Blah you see what i get for drunk posting?! I'm not talking trash on Zelda or Darksiders i am just saying i do not see Zelda in this game. Sure there may be some similar things about the two but as far as i'm concerned they are two totally different games and are great in there own way. Now i'm going to turn it around on you, Since most people think Darksiders is like Zelda explain how this is a bad or a good thing for the game and the franchise? I would love to here some input on that.
---
Guns For Show, Knives For A Pro
#7Master_Pwner(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2012 6:21:56 AM
Yeah after completing two dungeons now, I can see how the dungeons are a bit similar to Zelda's, though then again, I really wouldn't go as far as calling this game a Zelda clone anyway.
I guess Zelda, God of War and Devil May Cry had a weird threesome, Zelda wound up pregnant and gave birth to this game.
---
GLACIER FTW
Coq
#8SonicMonkeysPosted 8/16/2012 1:01:02 AM
-Bottles you can fill with health, magic, or a fairy/potion that revives you
-A boss fight where you fight a Shadow version of yourself
-Hookshot
-Boomerang/spin blade
-Bomb plants
-A sprite that follows you around and is very annoying "hey listen!" "come over here!" (Navi or Midna)
-World maps are the same
-Dungeons where you find a map and treasure compass, and basically identical dungeon map layout schemes
-Inventory screens the same
-Shadow Mask/Lens of Truth you look through to see invisible objects/enemies
-pieces of heart/heart containers
-A horse you can summon almost anywhere, with 5 dash bars/carrots you can use before they tire out and have to refill
-several miniboss/bosses almost exactly from OOT and TP
-have to reforge a magic sword to beat the final boss
-have to collect pieces of bosses to destroy a magical barrier into a dark castle/tower
-main character sleeps for 100 years/7 years until a mythical council decides he is ready to save the world

I just started playing this game the other day and this is what I came up with off the top of my head. I bet people who cared about it more could list 100 more things.

Obviously the art style and gore/violence are more like some other games, but the amount this game borrows from Zelda is staggering. But it's still a pretty fun game overall.
---
Blame your fate.
#9onoblejPosted 8/18/2012 11:37:14 PM
Wow this discussion never gets old, does it?

So yeah, it does have some Zelda DNA in a lot of places, but I still dont see it as anything like a Zelda clone.

Deeper, much more intense and enjoyable combat, much better and more mature story telling, tone, mood, ratio of action to dungeon crawling and a ton of other things set this apart from Zelda.

I've been saying and will continue to say, even with all the games it resembles at first glance, (Zelda, GoW, DMC, etc.) I still see more of Soul Reaver in it than anything.

The funny thing is that Soul Reaver had many of the same similarities to Zelda as this does (minus the fairy and horse and other little things) but nobody ever compared that to Zelda. Zeldas dungeon setup has been ripped off a million times in a million games, but of course THIS ONE is the Zelda clone...

OKAY
#10onoblejPosted 8/18/2012 11:52:00 PM
And many of the things that are attributed to Zelda by SonicMonkeys didn't even originate with Zelda or any game for that matter.

-Reforging a magic sword
-Main character sleeping until awakened for a purpose
-Sprite/spiritual gaurdian
-Fighting a shadow self

These things are mythological archetypes outlined and detailed by a man named Joseph Campbell in a book called The Hero With a Thousand Faces.

If you never heard of him, he's pretty much responsible for the structure of every notable fantasy novel/game of the last 50 years or so. And oh yeah, he was George Lucas' inspiration in writing this little movie you may have heard of... It's called Star Wars.

As for the weapons... Oh please. there are only but so many medieval weapon types. All games overlap in that area.

I think its more accurate to say this games heavily borrows its dungeon set-up from Zelda, but it's as much a clone as HBO's Hookers On Hunts Point is a clone of Pretty Woman.