Worst bug in the game - beware!

#1phexitolPosted 1/15/2010 11:57:14 AM
I really don't mind games autosaving, but what I really hate is a poorly implemented autosave system. Darksiders has what would appear to be a good autosave system, as it tends to save at logical points. However, as I have just learned, it also saves for no ******* reason directly after loading save data. I was about to fight the robot in Black Throne, when I decided to call it quits for the day and save the game. I went to check the data via load, but forgot I was in load and hit X, loading my old (beginning of) Iron Canopy save data. Somehow, the game decided to quickly autosave right after loading, so now I have to do Iron Canopy and fight Silitha all over again. Silitha was my least favorite boss fight, but at least now I have a better idea of how to beat her.

Very annoying...
#2annonymous2k6Posted 1/15/2010 12:00:46 PM
well hard save often, thats what i do. not really a bug, its your fault.
---
http://ps3trophycard.com/profile/annonymous2k6
#3Greaterthan3Posted 1/15/2010 12:01:12 PM
A lot of games don't even have auto save so you would have lost everything anyways.

Why did you go to load? You can see the file you're going to save on when you go to save... you shot yourself in the foot.

Now if you said I hit "continue" instead of load without noticing and I looked around for hours hunting items, only to realize I loaded the autosave instead of my manual save you might have a point.
#4DrachenBarenPosted 1/15/2010 12:01:54 PM
If you just hit "Resume" at the start it loads your last Auto-Save, thus removing the potential to pick the wrong one.

Gaming experience also tells me to do a hard save on any game when I'm about to turn it off instead of relying on Auto-Saves. Glad to know this game is not the exception to the rule T_T
#5thumbholePosted 1/15/2010 12:04:01 PM

Gaming experience also tells me to do a hard save on any game when I'm about to turn it off instead of relying on Auto-Saves.

This.
---
You don't win friends with salad, you don't win friends with salad....
#6Greaterthan3Posted 1/15/2010 12:08:54 PM
"If you just hit "Resume" at the start it loads your last Auto-Save, thus removing the potential to pick the wrong one."

Yes and no.

If you warp to an area, pick an item up, manually save and shut down it's a bad idea to use continue because you won't have that item.

Continue will load the autosave, which is probably either at Vulgrim before you teleported or After. Your manual save is after you picked the item up. If you switch areas or walk near Vulgrim then continue will have that item, otherwise it won't. In other words your manual save contains loot autosave does not.

To fix this they should make it so that manual save overwrites auto as well. Then continue would work as long as there aren't separate files being played.
#7chaos_789Posted 1/15/2010 12:24:04 PM
It's not a bug, the game saves at each checkpoint, and you can only load a game at a checkpoint. So otherwords if you load your game, you start at a checkpoint which means the game will auto save. So that explains why it auto saves when you load.
#8exsssssPosted 1/15/2010 3:21:47 PM
I would like to add another bug that might screw you up.

In the black throne level, Make sure to do a manual save before going in the elevator. On the other day when I went in the elevator and push the switch, the elevator moves, but something happen that causes the switch to disappear. Which mean you can't use the elevator anymore. Going out and in, and does not fix it. So do manual save before going in the elevator during the black throne level.
#9phexitol(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2010 3:27:45 PM
To all of those recommending hard saving, please read my original post: I was in the process of saving, but for some reason I went to look at my previous saves first, and accidentally loaded one. Also, there are ways that a game can prevent itself from saving immediately after loading, but this one seems to lack that ability.

This is one of the best games ever made IMHO, but this is definitely a bug. The only other bugs I've seen are a couple of monster out of level events, including the infamous case of the horse thief who fell through fire.
#10BeastOfWar316Posted 1/15/2010 3:40:56 PM
What you describe is not a bug, it's the way that game is coded. . .A bug would something that happens that is unintended. This was an intention and the situation you are in is User Error. Don't blame the game cause YOU loaded a file when you didn't want to.

If you're that far into the game and don't realize that it auto-saves after load, then you're at fault not the game. YOU should have been more careful.
---
MAINSTREAM'D