Information on how to Achieve a Star Rank - Version 1.0

#41Mario463Posted 6/8/2008 7:57:27 PMmessage detail
Congrats on getting this sticked.
---
http://z4.invisionfree.com/NintendoParadise/index.php?act=idx
Come Join one of the largest Nintendo Forums.
#42MilonPosted 6/8/2008 8:04:51 PMmessage detail
Cool, you got this sticky, congrats.

This should help more people.

---
Mario Kart Wii FC: 1118-0475-3977
#43Lord_Baal_Posted 6/8/2008 8:27:38 PMmessage detail
Actually Joah, karts can get the orange boost while bikes cannot. I obviously have no idea what the value is or would be, but that could compensate for any hp awarded for wheelies making karts and bikes equal.
#44JaohPosted 6/8/2008 10:51:52 PMmessage detail
There are like 20 times as many places to wheelie as there are to orange boost.

Definitely doesn't balance things out. In fact, it makes the gap even more apparent.
---
MKWii - 4468-1522-4718
#45C L O U DPosted 6/8/2008 11:43:36 PMmessage detail
I just fell off twice in Special Cup and got a 3 star rank.
---
Come on and talk about it; this is a happy song!
Mario Kart: 0173-1648-1235 - Gordon
#462Love4LifePosted 6/9/2008 12:13:00 AMmessage detail
* Ranking

-You are allowed to bang into walls (1 or 2 times)
-You are allowed to bang into obstacles (1 or 2 times)
-Stay on road as much as you can (Off-roading is allowed 2 to 3 times without a boost)
-Try not to fall off the track (Once is allowed, twice almost guarantees a non-Star Rank)
-Do as many tricks/tactics as you can. Drift Boost, Snaking, Wheelie, etc. (This is a rumor, but it may help)
-Stay in first for a good amount of the race
-Try not use items to catch up to other players (once is allowed. Ties into the above reason)
-Finish as fast as possible
-You must get 53 points or more (47 according to Milon) as your grand total

** Ranking

-Try not to bang into walls
-Try not to bang into obstacles
-Stay on the road as much as you can (Off-roading is allowed 1 to 2 times without a boost)
-Try not to fall off the track (maybe once, but it almost guarantees you a 1-Star Rank)
-Do as many tricks/tactics as you can. Drift Boost, Snaking, Wheelie, etc. (This is a rumor, but it may help)
-Try to stay in first for most of the race
-Try not to use items to catch up to other players
-You must get 55 points or more (53 according to Milon) as your grand total

*** Ranking

-Try not to bang into walls
-Try not to bang into obstacles
-Stay on the road (unless you have a boost item to allow you to travel off-road)
-Try not to fall off the track
-Stay in first for much of the time in races
-Try not to use items to catch up to other players
-You must get 60 points as your grand total

Firstly I'm not disagreeing with your guidlines, but thats mostly speculation. you can fall off more then once and get a 2-3 * Ranking, you can go offroad and ( without a boost ) several times and acheive the same thing. YOu seem to forget that you also need to use Items ( I find it really helps me get 2-3 star Rankings.

IMHO, Its a Nice Guide, but due to it being based on personal opinoin, IT doesn't really deserve to be sticked until the facts are proven. But thats my opinoin. We can speculate its loosely based on the DS system, but need to be more specific, for the Wii Version.

---
MKWii FC - 3780 9920 7759 ( Ali )
MKWii Gamers Lounge: http://z4.invisionfree.com/The_MKW_Gamer_Lounge
#47bebekijouPosted 6/9/2008 1:37:27 AMmessage detail
Boy, am I angry right now!
against who? every one!

First, I'm pissed at TC, and the others before him, who just can't get rid of this stupid MKDS rank chart. It belongs to MKDS people, so POST IT on MKDS board!!!

The reason why I've had enough of this is because it totally ruins the credibility of the very one that are posting it (here TC) but also of all those (like myself) who try to provide reliable information on star rankings to newcomers or those willing to know.

The proff being Jaoh who tackles down the whole topic just because this chart is there, even though he also admits that the requisits are true (well, most of them actually but more on that below).

Second, I'm also angry at people like, well Jaoh again, and all others "sceptics" who don't seem to want to believe that there are requisits for star ranking, and despise anyone who'd make an attempt to find them.

They all ask for "testing". Well my friends if you seem so desperate to "test" these things, why didn't you give your contribution when I asked REPEATEDLY, in several threads, GFAQS users to provide me with some info on their GP races, so that I could compute them and try to definitely put an end to this debate.

Well, noone did, so I assumed that no one was interested in star ranking. But still, every once and a while someone ask a question about star ranking and here we go again.
#48JaohPosted 6/9/2008 1:49:00 AMmessage detail
First, I'm not skeptical about the requisites. I know full well what's required. It just pisses me off when untested information is passed of as cold hard fact when it clearly isn't.

Second, I would have sent you my GP results, but I haven't even beat half the GP yet. I never race it. I might do 2 in a week, and that's not going to get you anywhere.

I've got too many things on my hands right now to go do GP for testing the HP values. I still have to continue my Item Usage guide -_- and I've got a full-fledged story to finish writing for a future video game.

But hey, if I feel like doing some GP, I'll record my times and try to track what I do per race, just for you buddy.
---
MKWii - 4468-1522-4718
#49bebekijouPosted 6/9/2008 1:53:10 AMmessage detail
Well, now that I've released my "rage", let's go on with a more constructive post,

To the extend of my "research" on this matter, the requisits ARE correct, EXCEPT for the wheelie and the drifting part which give NO added bonus besides the fact that it reduces your time.

The "variable" part of the star ranking (i.e. non reproducibility of results) tends to confirm the fact that the PRINCIPLE (I can't stress this word enough) of the star ranking is similar to MKDS i.e. a bonus/malus system.
This would explain why people seem to have very various opinions on this topic, because basing opinion on only a couple of GPs would make the results confusing.
Of course, repeated runs (which I did) will aso cancel this perturbating effect.

As for the falling-off-track-penalty-or-not, my "testing" confirms without any doubt that you CAN end up with 3stars after a fall, even after two (much less likely but still). The reason is probably twofold.
First, like someone else suggested earlier, you obviously have more time on longer tracks to "prove your value" and recover from the penalty the falling inflicted you.
Second, and that's more interesting, I finally (because i found it soooo hard to test it) reached the conclusion that falls caused by lightnings in mid-air CAUSE NO PENALTY, except of course the induced loss of time.
I know that some people suggested that it might be the same with POW or shells hit, but I haven't been able to succesfully test that yet.

As a final note, my conclusions are the result of a resaerch campaign that was made of 231 GP runs (31 in 50cc, 32 in 100 cc, 127 in 150 cc and 41 in Mirror), which ended up with 99 3-stars, 120 2-stars and 12 1-star rankings. Yes, I turned out to be a "triple 3-starred ranker"
And i'm not counting the aborted runs, which may have been double that. I wish I had reached a conclusion on every poiint and suggestions made over the weeks by posters on this board, but I haven't, and to be honest, I'm getting pretty sick of this now, I just want to cruise online, peacefully.
That's why I wanted others to contribute to this "testing" so we could finally put an end to this. Well they didn't, too bad, but I'll live.
I greatly encourage others to go on where I stopped, if they're willing to make the effort (because believe me, it IS work).

That would be my final post on star ranking, I'm tired of repeating the same things over and over again, but if someone's is willing to "broadcast" this in my place, please do, I'll be glad.

Good night to all!!
#50bebekijouPosted 6/9/2008 1:56:38 AMmessage detail
Jaoh :

didn't know you didn't race on GP, I guess I assumed that that's what people would do in the first place before going online, but I guess I was wrong. So I apologize for the implication that you didn't want to cooperate.

Congrats on your item usage guide, it helped me a lot to improve my using of items, despite what others said about it.

Don't bother with your GP data, like I said in my last post, it's too late, i'm tired of this.