Anyone got any good tips for getting Artifacts?

#1jcmasonPosted 10/22/2008 5:32:10 PM
It's hit or miss for me. I can find them well enough, bouncing around inside the anomalies, but they don't seem to appear until I run directly into them, which involves getting my ass kicked by an anomaly. Is there a better way to get these? I've tried blasting them out with grenades, no luck. I even seem to have got one stuck in a rock, I can run directly up to it, but it won't appear and I can't grab it.
---
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
I wonder how many more crappy sigs chi*gets shot*
#2Wraith3Posted 10/22/2008 6:15:12 PM
Most of them you can get pretty easily. If you're getting killed it might be because you don't have a suit with good protection. If you get a SEVA suit you should have no problem. The only ones I couldn't get were in those anomalies that make a whooshing sound then cause you to bleed. I haven't gotten an artifact out of those ever.
#3jcmason(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2008 6:35:12 PM

Posted by Wraith3
Most of them you can get pretty easily. If you're getting killed it might be because you don't have a suit with good protection. If you get a SEVA suit you should have no problem. The only ones I couldn't get were in those anomalies that make a whooshing sound then cause you to bleed. I haven't gotten an artifact out of those ever.

Ah, those are the only anomalies I've actually seen artifacts in. At least, so far.
---
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
I wonder how many more crappy sigs chi*gets shot*
#4FantaegoPosted 10/23/2008 9:04:26 AM
Actually, as long as you have a good detector, (Veles) spotting anomalies is quite easy. Getting them is a bit tougher - but there is ALWAYS a way. Every Whirlygig has a "path" into it. Just take you time, circle it looking for the way in and use your bolts to find the path. Don't forget that the artifacts usually move around within the anomaly as well, so watch the path they take and plan accordingly. As Wraith3 says - good protection is a must as most artifacts are in highly irradiated areas - along with the whirlygigs... If your artifact seems stuck in the middle of a whirlygig - try "tripping it" (getting close so that it starts to whirlwind) and then back quickly away.
#5Frag_ManiacPosted 10/23/2008 9:46:01 AM

A good suit and detector early on in the game are essential for easy artifact hunting. The task the Loners at the COrdon neutral base give you after joining them is tailor made for artifact hunting. They ask you to kill the Bandits at the Depot, which nets you a SEVA, 10,000 RU, and Veles detector.

The only tradeoff is you won't be able to fully upgrade the SEVA getting it this way, but you can still upgrade it plenty well enough to get through the whole game, including 45+ on Bulletproof.

#6PcslavePosted 10/23/2008 3:02:21 PM

If you just sit down, take a deep radiated breath, and take a good look at the actual anomaly you can usualy see a patern or even a shape to it.

The artefacts are usually the product of their parent anomaly and the forces that are present in the environment within the anomaly.

Take the string of springboard anomalies in the Garbage area that is in the shape of a circle. The artefact in that bunch of anomalies is moving around the circle in a slow pace, so if you just stand close to it and wait for the artefact to pass by you can just snatch it up!

Fire artefacts are born of fire anomaly, much more random and dangerous, so you might have to wait longer for it to get close to you.

Acid born artefacts usually require you to get down and dirty, and radiated badly, in their swampy acid anomalies to get them.

Electrical artefacts can be acquired with good timing, since their parent anomaly is appearing randomly.

Telepathic artefacts are the biggest pain (says me) and you will always get a headache from trying to get one, literally and in-game. Sometimes I use grenades to push them out of the strange microwave beam looking "anomaly". As all of us SoC veterans know, the "telepathic" anomaly is actually the C consciousness psyionic net.

#7Frag_ManiacPosted 10/24/2008 10:14:07 AM
Yeah there are definitely ways to get them with minimal protection/damage, but the way I figure it you need a fairly good suit for the battles that lie ahead, esp if you play on one of the higher difficulty levels. PCslave pretty much nailed it but I'll add that with electrical anomalies it helps a lot to time a bolt toss before dashing in, which discharges the electricity momentarily.
#8PcslavePosted 10/24/2008 7:45:11 PM

Oh man I feel dumb!

I never thought of throwing the bolt into the electric anomaly. I pretty much forgot about the bolt totally except when I pull it out by accident when im going for my binoculars.

I used to play SoC with a mod that changed your bolt according to what anomaly you threw it in.

Throw a bolt into the springboard anomaly, get a bolt that kills with massive kinetic energy when you throw it.

Throw a bolt into the fire anomaly, get a red hot bolt that sets things on fire.

You get the idea. So many great modders for SoC, I cant wait to see what they can do for farcry2.