Far cry 2: the things I hate (from someone who enjoys the game).

#1JoojPosted 8/9/2009 1:58:52 PM

Ok, there's plenty FC2 gets right, I love belting through the weldt to get to my target, sniping from a great distance under the desert sun, or creeping round in my camo suit with silenced weapons to plant explosives (the easiest way to assasinate someone escpecially in the ceasfire zones), watching the mass explosions that result from fires etc. But there's lots they got wrong. Here's my personal list, and it's a long one.

1. The plot: what plot? The stories behind some missions work fine, but I try not to think of the overall plot, it spoils the game. Here you are, a drug using murderer, shipping arms all over the place, blowing up convoys to secure your own personal weapons supply and you're painted as some sort of hero out to do the world a favour by ridding it of the jackal?

Let's face it, little you do in the game is in the name of tracking down the jackal, you just get a cut scene at the beginning that hints you're eventually going to have to face him. You're just going around committing mass murder and shooting up. Wouldn't this played out with the main guy painted as some sort of anti hero or amoral mofo, in a sort of grand theft africa meets heart of darkness? You'd prolly end up taking out the jackal anyway just to take over his business. Though there's a couple of points where you can make moral decisions what about more nice guy missions? what about your character starting as a drug addicted maniac and through the choices he makes, missions he does or maybe even the way he resolves them, he either repents or becomes worse? Meh maybe I've been spoiled by bioware. the possibilities are endless.

Why are the pylon assassination missions all the same? Wouldn't this be an opportunity to build things up a bit and add backstory?

2. Why the map restriction in act 1? First impressions count, and the map for act 1 seems kinda samey and small. When you're in act 2 you can return to the act 1 map, so it's clearly not a technological limitation , so why the restriction? Why not let players stray in to dangerous territory if they want? To see the sights etc. See how big ubiaftica is?

3. Bad map design, the main complaint I have here is things like the distance to the bus stations from the main towns. And between the bar/weapons shop in act 1 and the nearest bus stop and main town ... not to mention that freaking awful ford I always screw up. Though I enjoy driving out to missions spending 5-10 mins each time I do a mission to collect/upgrade weapons then get to the bust stop I want to is madness.Wouldn't it have been better to put everything a player needed to start a mission in the town before he/she ventures in to the great out doors? Ok, so not all missions start in towns, but you get my point. They just don't seem to have thought things through.

4. Save Games: why no checkpoint system with autosaves immediately before and after completing a mission and every time you enter a safe house? What's with the console version only save at safe houses (erm ... I think). Maybe it is a console limitation but save files are 4.5k in size, surely a console can accomodate that?

5. The buddy system doesn't make sense. If they were going to have buddies, they should at least let them accompany you missions with rudamentary controls (e.g. 'Attack', 'Cease fire', 'Form Up'). Having them magically appear when you're wounded just doesn't make sense and breaks immersion.

6. Why does the weapons dealer disappear when he's not available? No other mission givers do. Wouldn't it have made more sense and been easier to program just to have him there all the time? Have him offer missions and the player be told they'd cancel their current mission if they accept, just like everyone else? Maybe even have him explain he has no more weapons left to offer when all the missions have been done to avoid player confusion?

7. Why are there no weapons descriptions in the weapon shop catalogue? Are we supposed to guess at their use/capabilities? Why isn't the name of each weapon written on the wall next to where it hangs in the player's weapons room? Why doesn't the main character make some comment about each weapon as you point at it. Yhey could even just have text pop on the screen to say what you're looking at, some of those guns are rather samey. Why do weapons drop to the floor when a new one is taken. Why not just have the previous weapon disappear? Not realistic, but then more realistic than the current 'everlasting supply' situation, I'd argue. Why don't they let you draw a weapons in the weapons room to make sure you have the right load out and are all ammoed up?

8. The action/hand system is awkward and seems a bit dated, Why do they make you press the E key so many times just to have a conversation? Couldn't they have adopted some system that let you know what you were about to do when you press E?

7. The fortune pack weapons should have to be earned rather than just being given. The crossbow seems far too powerful to me (for a 'freeby').

Y. Numerous other miscelaneous immersion breakers:

a. infinite ammo in vehicles, something even FC1 didn't have. I do heart the infinite grenade launcher on my jeep ... but not very realistic is it?

b. The pylon assassination missions: how do they mark that thing on your map? How do they transfer diamonds to your account?

c.Instantly regenerating checkpoints.

d. massive waterfalls you can stand under with out illeffects, not even buffetting.

e. Objectives and other 'in game' information placed on the same menu as options, load, save, exit etc. Haven't they heard of the cool 'journals' etc other games use? Why not put the current objective at the bottom of the map? Why make you visit a safe house to activate this feature?

f. The lack of animations for people getting in to and out of cars. They just stand there as if this was done as a placeholder for the animations when they were finished. What happened, did they just forget to do this? Did they decide 999 different animations of you pulling shrapnel out of your arm or being rescued by your buddy were more important?

g. The keys to the safe house: would it have been too much for them make you walk up to one of the fallen bad guys (say the last one you kill to clear the safe house) to pick up a key to unlock the door rather than the magically opening system they opted for?

h. Why are the weapon storage lockers visible in safe houses when they're not available? The whole safe house system doesn't really make sense, but meh.

i. Act 2 begins with a huge battle, when you return to town the place is completely recovered and the two sides are coexisting peacefully. You can even go back to the act 1 map and visit it if you like (more of that next) and it's all back operating as normally, even in the main starting town.

h. Why are the main towns generally occupied by both sides? Wouldn't it make sense to have different ones with check points at the borders for the territory for each? What about a reputation system to decide various sides reaction to you?

10. Obvious bugs:

a. People who face the wrong direction and still manage to hit you when they shoot.

b. Snipers who can see you through trees.

c. Graphical glitches after playing for 6+ hrs (!). Possilby my graphics card overheating ;)

d. EAX is ... well ... it doesn't really work. You can hear people talking 300 yards away as if they're right next to you.

There you go. Like I said I think this is a good game. That I like it so much given all of the above shows just how well they did with what they did right. I just can't work out why they did some of these things, it could have been so much better.

Add your pet gripes below :)

#2Jooj(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2009 2:03:51 PM

Oops forgot to adjust the numbering there at the end. Nm eh?

#3Jooj(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2009 2:07:26 PM

Oh I forgot the busses, if there are no civilians and there's no traffic on the streets other than armed patrols, how come you can take busses. I'm not saying I'm not glad they're there, it just doesn't make sense.

#4Jooj(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2009 5:35:03 PM

Oh yeah, how about the lack of a lights control on vehicles even though they model smashed headlights. Would be useful for dark bits of road in the day or a slight stealth bonus driving at night.

#5Blue_Whistle88Posted 8/20/2009 8:16:50 PM
I agree with all those points you made, and that is why I have stopped playing the game. Yes, it does have many good points, but it is absolutely PLAGUED with bugs and miscellaneous small problems, as well as some larger ones. The issue with the game is almost every single part of it, big or small, contains problems of some kind, and they are almost always noticeable.
#6left_rightPosted 8/20/2009 9:45:32 PM
The fact I read all of that is a testament to how much I agree.

I've stopped playing the game as well, I've just lost the patience for it. I'll probably come back and finish it at some point but I'll avoid trying to do all the side-missions and diamond collecting - not worth it.

Very good points.
#7WolfAlmightyPosted 8/20/2009 10:14:28 PM
I've yet to be able to not get the Jackal tape glitch. I even made sure I got all the tapes in the northern map before finishing Act 1 and it still got stuck on the 'Stealing Boots' tape. Had to go online to listen to the remainder of the Jackal tapes, since that's pretty much the only thing FC2 has in the way of a storyline (and was one aspect I looked forward to).
#8nufuhsusPosted 8/21/2009 7:29:14 AM
I have only played this game to 4% complete and I am in love with it. Several of the things you have posted here I have noticed or found that they took me out of the game environment (like getting shot by an enemy who has his back turned on you).

I have noticed the CP enemy spawning back after having annihilated it only moments before. I do not have such a problem with this. I do not actually see the enemy re-spawn (unlike COD4 I think, but that may be a PEZBOT issue). I look at it this way. When you travel back through a CP you just leveled, think of these new guys as the group who showed up after you left the first time, The original groups backup brought on by all the chaos. I admit that the fact the barrels and buildings also regenerate, but I pass that off as they brought Bob the Builder along with them in the event something needs to be fixed...I mean, after all these guys are pretty dumb ;o)

I think the biggest pet peeve of mine is the fact that the bolt action on the Springfield 1903 riffle is on the left hand side. WTF!!!

Like I said, I am not too far into the game.... Been doing side missions and diamond garnering. The tapes I could really careless about and I hope they are not needed for 100% but I fear they are. I have only completed 4% and am (I think) 6 in-game-days and so far this game is my favorite.

Peace Love and Rockets
#9HuManBingPosted 9/6/2009 6:54:49 AM
Several of your points are very valid and hint at design decisions made as shortcuts. Things like the respawning and the mandatory jungle driving, etc.

There are a few points you make about the verisimilitude (waterfall, magical unlocking of safe houses, etc) which strike me as minor. I didn't even notice them, or I didn't consider them remarkable because I understood it was a limitation of the game. My suspicion is that this game is more immersive than most, and so when there was a departure from realism, it might have shown up more glaring.

All your suggestions are good for making the game more realistic. And if they want to make Far Cry 3 even more realistic than this game already is, then that list you compiled is a good place to start. (Bearing in mind that Far Cry 2 is already far more immersive than most games even attempt to be.)
---
enixine.livejournal.com
A blog about games, media, and food - the modern vices.
#10Blue_Whistle88Posted 9/18/2009 12:54:45 PM
I have only played this game to 4% complete and I am in love with it. Several of the things you have posted here I have noticed or found that they took me out of the game environment (like getting shot by an enemy who has his back turned on you).

I have noticed the CP enemy spawning back after having annihilated it only moments before. I do not have such a problem with this. I do not actually see the enemy re-spawn (unlike COD4 I think, but that may be a PEZBOT issue). I look at it this way. When you travel back through a CP you just leveled, think of these new guys as the group who showed up after you left the first time, The original groups backup brought on by all the chaos. I admit that the fact the barrels and buildings also regenerate, but I pass that off as they brought Bob the Builder along with them in the event something needs to be fixed...I mean, after all these guys are pretty dumb ;o)

I think the biggest pet peeve of mine is the fact that the bolt action on the Springfield 1903 riffle is on the left hand side. WTF!!!

Like I said, I am not too far into the game.... Been doing side missions and diamond garnering. The tapes I could really careless about and I hope they are not needed for 100% but I fear they are. I have only completed 4% and am (I think) 6 in-game-days and so far this game is my favorite.

Peace Love and Rockets

I used to have exactly the same opinion as you, right up until I finished the game and started truely analysing the experience I'd had. That, and I started playing through it again, and trust me, that's when you REALLY start noticing all the holes the game has.

It's a game that gives you a hell of a first impression, what with it's nice graphics and seemingly vast and free landscapes, and that is something worth experiencing because it is one hell of a first impression. But once that all wears off you find that a lot of the seemingly great aspects of the game are patching over the many problems it does have, and that they don't really fix them. The open landscapes are false, the free-roaming is good but repetitive and not ultimately that "free", and the combat is flawed in many ways making realistic and enjoyable combat limited.
---
http://www.myspace.com/bluewhistle1988
http://www.last.fm/user/Blue_Whistle88