Why isnt there a translation patch yet?

#1DayunoPosted 5/2/2008 1:18:44 AM
Its not that hard with the translation guide....I would do it myself but the hex editing/tables seem very complicated
#2Amelia SatohPosted 5/2/2008 5:45:37 AM
lol you just answered your own question.
---
[space for rent]
#3Dayuno(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2008 6:21:15 AM

Well for me its complicated but there are so many exprienced psp hackers who wouldve have no trouble hex editing

Guess none of them are Tales fans

#4lanynPosted 5/2/2008 7:26:30 AM
Well, there are Tales fans who do that sort of thing, but Cless and the others are currently busy with other projects right now (ToP PSX and eventually ToD2 PS2 from what I hear). Plus you're forgetting that there is a ton of game text that hasn't been translated yet (e.g. equipment descriptions, a couple hundred Skits, practically all of the NPC dialogue), so even having a translation guide for the main storyline doesn't mean that the job is anywhere close to finished. And then there's the actual process of hacking the game or whatnot, which I can only imagine is a slow and tedious process.

Just out of curiosity, is there something specific that hasn't been covered in the translation guides that you'd like to see or do you just want to play the game in English? If it's the former, I'll see if I can do something about it. ^^
---
Tales of Rebirth fans, check out my subbed videos!
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=lanyn
#5DayonozoPosted 5/2/2008 8:36:14 AM
well I really havent started playing yet
How hard is it to set skills and equip better equipment? will it show green arrows above the stats it will improve? also are there any oither JP only tales games beside this and ToD2?

And I believe the ToP psx patch was released around december
#6lanynPosted 5/2/2008 12:48:43 PM
This goes without saying, but the more Japanese you can understand, the easier it will be for you to go about the game. At the same time though, assigning Skills and changing equipment shouldn't be a problem if you're accustomed to playing RPGs in general (setting Ougis, however, is a bit more complicated, but I have a tutorial vid for that in my sig link). You do get the red and green arrows to indicate stat differences in your equipment and everything too.

I'm probably forgetting something here, but the Japan-only Tales games that I can remember off the top of my head include Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Destiny Remake/Director's Cut, Tales of Innocence, Tales of the Tempest, Tales of Phantasia (SNES, PSX, and Full Voice Edition on the PSP), all 3 of the Narikiri games, and all of the mobile games.

And there are actually 2 Phantasia patches. One was finished about 6 months ago, but the one that I was referring to (by Cless and the folks over at Phantasian Productions) won't be done until sometime in the summer at the earliest.
---
#7DayonozoPosted 5/2/2008 2:51:41 PM
Thanks alot
About how many years of studying japanese and often did it take for you to understand a game like this? Also wanna learn it . I can already understand atleast 1/2 of a fully voiced sentence but I dont even know one kana
#8lanynPosted 5/2/2008 7:24:18 PM
Hmm, well it's kind of hard to say, but I would guess that the average person would be able to understand about 85-90% of Rebirth's spoken dialogue with 3 to 4 years of study. In my particular case, I have a pretty sound understanding of sentence structure, but I struggle quite a bit with Kanji and vocabulary, so it just depends on what sticks and what doesn't.

In terms of the spoken dialogue, being able to read the kana is not too important but it would be helpful if you can learn Katakana and Hiragana (or at the very least, be able to recognize them) just so that you can navigate through the menus and such. In this case, it may actually be more useful for you to be able to read Japanese rather than interpret spoken text since most of the translation work that's been done for this game focuses around the spoken dialogue instead of the actual mechanics of getting from point A to point B, if you know what I mean. In other words, it's best to be balanced in terms of reading and speaking/listening as opposed to just focusing on one aspect of the language (in terms of playing J-RPGs, at least).
---
#9DayonozoPosted 5/3/2008 3:08:43 PM
Okay thanks
Kind of a personal question. What do you plan on doing after you finish studying japanese? I heard theres not much work out there for foreigners unless you work for a multinational or set up your own company
#10lanynPosted 5/5/2008 7:32:48 AM
Finish...studying Japanese? Whatszat? ^_~

Ahem, anyway, my future plans actually have nothing to do with translating as I will be starting med school this summer. You're right though, it is rather tough for non-natives to get jobs in Japan. If I were looking for a job related to what I'm doing now...I'd probably start by trying to enter the domestic anime market and work as a translator for one of the R1 companies such as, oh I don't know, ADV for example. There's also a whole bunch of English teaching programs such as JET if I wanted to actually live in Japan; a friend of mine did that after college and he loved it.

But yeah, I learned Japanese mainly because I I was interested in the language and culture, not because I thought I could land myself a job with it. Sorry, that's probably not the answer that you wanted to hear, huh?
---