How game-breaking is the Metal King Sword?

#1CraddaPoostaPosted 3/3/2009 10:46:19 AM
So, I earned enough tokens with the 100-token slot machine to purchase a Metal King Sword for my Hero, and am sitting on about 180k tokens towards the Whip for Harry. I will probably get at least one more whip and maybe one or two more swords before I progress the storyline any further.

What I read in other topics, and from the one test battle I tried, the Metal King Sword is just insanely beastly, especially at what seems to be a relatively early stage in the game.

How terribly am I breaking the game for myself by equipping as many people in my party with these godlike weapons before any of my characters have even hit level 18?
---
Bai Zhe Bu Nao

Look it up.
#2mhollan3Posted 3/3/2009 10:48:40 AM
SPOILERS

Pre-third generation? Wouldn't be really too breaking. But it's your decision in the end. I got 2 of them and I'm happy. I end up tossing mine by the time I get the Zenethain Sword and the Dragon Staff.
---
Cake?
#3GoobaManSPPosted 3/3/2009 10:48:50 AM
It'll be broken for a good while. It has the highest attack power in the game, but it's a pretty boring weapon, and the Dragon Staff is only 5 points below it, but with a good in-battle effect.
#4CraddaPoosta(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2009 10:52:36 AM
Yeah; I figured it was pretty much that situation. I am racking my brain to think of what other games have featured any deus ex machina weapons or armor in them, where you can get a game-breaking piece of equipment far too early in the game, but the Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior series is pretty much the only one.

I think the closest any other game really comes to it is the Gold Saucer in FFVII, but that's not even totally broken like this is. Maybe some of the characters in Fire Emblem. Come to think of it; this might make a good stand-alone topic; what's everyone's favorite game breaking item in any game?

Hmmm...
---
Bai Zhe Bu Nao

Look it up.
#5MetroidXPSPosted 3/3/2009 10:53:28 AM
As far as raw attack power, it is breaking, because it's the best in the game. However, like said before, it's a pretty boring weapon. There's nothing special about it aside from it having the highest attack power in the game. Some people will d4ebate that falcon sword is better, at least when equipped by someone with really high attack power(like Golem, or anyone else that can equip it that you put a lot of str seeds into).
---
Look, I ain't some tasty-lookin' burrito sittin' on the side of the road, but you gotta take me with you!
HOLY ****! MY ASS TURNED TO JELL-O! - Diorte
#6MetroidXPSPosted 3/3/2009 10:54:25 AM
*falcon
---
Look, I ain't some tasty-lookin' burrito sittin' on the side of the road, but you gotta take me with you!
HOLY ****! MY ASS TURNED TO JELL-O! - Diorte
#7mhollan3Posted 3/3/2009 10:54:48 AM
Mine? Easy.

The Zenithian Sword. ;o

Actually mine is the Zenithian Shield. Your son gets 3 of the best weapons/armors in the game within 10 minutes of each other, if not 5.
---
Cake?
#8Firionel20Posted 3/3/2009 10:56:49 AM
Don't waste the tokens on Harry. He's a temporary character. The whip will still be useful on other characters, but still...
---
Playing: Dragon Quest: The Hand of the Heavenly Bride over and over again. Dearly missing my PS2 version of that.
#9CraddaPoosta(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2009 11:11:52 AM
Thanks for the head's up about Harry; I didn't want to spoil the game for myself by figuring out which members would be permanently leaving my party. But, like Maria, whenever a party member leaves permanently, all of their items go back to my Bag, right?

Wouldn't want Harry to leave my crew with a quarter of a million tokens' worth of weaponry.
---
http://voxt3r.987mb.com/
Voxter's Offline DS Game Browser/Homebrew Finder
#10SatarackPosted 3/3/2009 11:12:03 AM
The king metal sword is useful for bosses and when your only fighting 2 or 3 enemies. It's generally better to use multi-hitting attacks with large groups of enemies. The best strategy is to have both a multi-hitting weapon and single hitting weapon in your inventory so you can switch in battle. The king metal sword doesn't hurt, but it's not a game breaker.
---
Work is for losers. A winner says 'That's on my list' and never commits to a deadline.