Play Dragon Quest Vi or IX ?

#1cH053n2Posted 5/25/2011 4:01:55 AM
I'm about to pick up either one of these two.

Which should I get first?

Thanks
---
Mewtwo's Pokemon Replication Distro
Events and Shared Links updated @ Project Pokemon - http://tinyurl.com/3fnomr8
#2Sulley3Posted 5/25/2011 4:12:58 AM
To fully enjoy the wifi benefits, I would play IX first. There is no pressure to get VI. But fair warning applies! If you start playing IX be prepared to spend at least a year of your life playing it.
---
Hard cheese, go back to the start..... If I had a nickel for every time I saw this, I could retire.
#3cH053n2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2011 4:13:24 AM
Or should I get Radiant Historia...
---
Mewtwo's Pokemon Replication Distro
Events and Shared Links updated @ Project Pokemon - http://tinyurl.com/3fnomr8
#4ExaltedBenPosted 5/25/2011 8:23:10 AM
Without knowing you personally, nobody can hope to tell you what's best for you.

In my personal opinion, DQ6 has a lot more charm and character than DQ9. In DQ9 the story is very thin and there's no interaction among your party, and if you change classes you have to backtrack to the start of the game to fight weak enemies again - whereas class changes in DQ6 permit you to continue onward with the game while learning new abilities.

I didn't like Radiant Historia at all.
#5lazer59882Posted 5/26/2011 12:52:46 AM
Sulley3 posted...
But fair warning applies! If you start playing IX be prepared to spend at least a year of your life playing it.

thats absolute bollocks. unless you're a complete loser who's only other system is a Wii and you never buy any other new games ever, then chances are you'll only put in abooouut 45 hours, reach then ending, stop, and move on to another game. like most sane people. dont believe these creepers telling you you can play IX for hundreds of hours.
that said...i preferred VI. old school ftw.
#6Sulley3Posted 5/26/2011 4:18:31 AM
For your information, go to the IX board and judge for yourself. This board is all but dead, but after nearly a year, the IX board is hopping. Also, I have DQVI almost complete, just up the to jail IN MY CASE, along with another NEW game that I have in my case. So poster don't listen to trolls like lazer, make your own decision.
---
Hard cheese, go back to the start..... If I had a nickel for every time I saw this, I could retire.
#7threetimesPosted 5/26/2011 5:19:54 AM
It's perfectly true that DQIX can last for a long long time. A friend who usually speeds through games put in around 600 + hours before grinding (oh how they grinded!) to a halt,. and that was without using Wifi, just getting addicted to finding more grottoes. I didn't see the attraction though, and didn't like the lack of personality in your created team. I stopped playing after beating the game, whereas DQVI is a charming game with personality! The only drawback is that you don't get to see costume changes in this game.
---
I feel just fabulously refreshed.
#8ExaltedBenPosted 5/26/2011 8:07:48 AM
I didn't even enjoy using a party in 9, due to the lack of actual presence in the game that they represented. I ended up restarting and just soloing the game with the hero only. It was tough until I reached Alltrades Abbey, and since I'd had access to metal slimes prior to that, it was pretty easy to spend a little while getting every class up to about level 15 or so, and using all those skill points to rack up some nice skills.

From that point, the game wasn't all that hard. Some bosses took a couple tries, though.
#9Sulley3Posted 5/26/2011 1:43:30 PM(edited)
DQVI does have charm, and I fully plan to finish the game and explore the post game soon. The party chat is fun. You really can't compare VI to IX. They are vastly different, yet sister games. I honestly do not think you can go wrong with either choice. DQV is another great choice as is IV. I think I played each one of those over 150 hours, an all have replay value.
---
#10RLegacy3Posted 5/27/2011 2:49:25 AM
The elements that gave DQIX such longevity never appealed to me.