ideas for doctor who games

#1thebrotherscupPosted 3/21/2008 10:47:10 PM
i want there to be a really cool doctor who game and just making one is a step in the right direction. the only problem is that there are to many ways to screw it up. my idea for a cool doctor who game would be to make RTS of the time war. so many different races were involved or affected by the war that they could make some awsome races to fights as, the time lords being the main group of course. the only problem is that for as much as we know about it there is still so much more that we dont know and i would be pissed off it the game wasnt accurate. well thats my idea. anybody else got any others?
#2CosmetorPosted 3/22/2008 1:50:28 PM
I'd envision a survival horror game similar to Clock Tower 3 or Haunting Ground: you run away from the monster, gathering information and items, until you construct the item/trap you need to defeat it and finally face it in a boss fight. Of course, since the Doctor is courageous, it wouldn't have the "panic" mechanic of those games.

The TARDIS interior would act like a hub/level select. It could be used to play through stages in the order you want, and replay them after you're done.

The Doctor's sonic screwdriver would be having technical difficulties, limiting you to only a few of its functions, and unlocking more of them as you play the game. Thus, you would have more options for solving later puzzles. One of these functions would be a "sonic stunner", which would stun the monster temporarily to allow you to escape, but overload the sonic screwdriver and prevent you from using it to solve puzzles until it recharges. This is based on similar mechanics from the aforementioned games

There. A game like that would capture the essence of Doctor Who.
---
Your signature is something you want to say in every post. And I want to say "Let's all work together to make a better world for everyone."
#3spetz_naz_basicPosted 3/23/2008 6:05:07 AM

Oh dear. I always knew this would be something low-budget since it wasn't coming to 360/PS3/Wii, but come on... a card game?

The RTS Time War idea sounds like fun, the other thing they could have done was an adventure game with episodic content. Think Sam & Max, with each release presented as a new episode. I've been playing S&M Season One recently and there is so much there gameplay-wise that would fit perfectly into a DW game.

I don't care how good this 'card game' turns out to be. What's a DW game that doesn't let us step into the freakin' Tardis?? :(

#4CosmetorPosted 3/25/2008 3:35:57 PM
I think you might want to be a bit more cautious with your abbreviations there.

Also, have you looked at Destiny of the Doctors? It seems like a pretty interesting game.
---
Your signature is something you want to say in every post. And I want to say "Let's all work together to make a better world for everyone."
#5spetz_naz_basicPosted 3/28/2008 8:17:13 AM

It did cross my mind, but given the context it should be obvious what I meant by S&M. I doubt anyone would be naive enough to misinterpret it as something nasty.

I know there was a Doctor Who adventure game released some while back, but finding a copy is a whole other issue.