Welcome to the Whoniverse

#1KingWevPosted 4/19/2008 6:34:02 AM

Hi everybody

Just wanted to, you know, actually have a real forum for this game under the forum tab (makes sense, eh?). So I have kindly started a thread for this forum to blossom from rather than remain the empty shell that I found here at first. Come on Whovians, show yourselves...

Did I mention, it also travels in time?

#2DoctorXombiePosted 4/27/2008 8:08:28 AM

I can't wait for this.

I have no idea what the Top Trumps game is but I LOVE Doctor Who! :)

#3landcrowPosted 5/22/2008 5:34:57 AM
I am the biggest Doctor Who fan.
#4philip_langPosted 5/23/2008 11:20:07 AM
is this game good
#5KingWev(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2008 4:44:33 PM

Philip_Lang - We know very little about the game at the moment to say for sure if it will be any good but I certainly hope so. keep checking back every now and then for new info.

Landcrow - You have a lot of competition around here for the title of biggest fan. I like the banner in your sig though, so your well on your way.

#6yunatwilightPosted 6/6/2008 11:45:28 AM
Top Trumps is the card game that nearly all of the Doctor Who games released in the US have been based on ... it is really, REALLY bad ... basically, each card is rated for four attributes, Temporal, Logic, Fear Factor and Physical IIRC. You draw a card from your deck and name its highest attribute. Your opponent draws a card and if their number for that attribute is less you win both cards. Basically it's the card game War.

How they plan to turn this into a PS2 game, I don't know. I can think of a hundred ways to do a Doctor Who game that would be better (graphic adventure, stealth, RPG) but ... for some reason it's always @#$@#$ Top Trumps.

As I posted elsewhere, I'm hoping this gets a US release solely so I can add it to my collection. I have no hope that it will actually be playable.

(BTW, if you got stuck with the Doctor Who Micro-Universe miniatures game -- which is also exactly like Top Trumps -- may I recommend picking up either Heroclix or Rattrap Games' FANTASTIC WORLDS? Both work OK as real miniatures rules. There's also an official miniatures game, but I don't really like it as much.)
#7threetimesPosted 6/6/2008 2:45:45 PM
In fact this is much better than the normal TT game. I haven't played the PS2 version but the DS one is a lot of fun, and there is some strategy to it, as well as nice design. I wasn't even going to play it, but I'm glad I did. :)
---
"Random Name is in no state to be using Pine Towel..."
#8yunatwilightPosted 6/7/2008 11:08:27 AM
That's a relief -- is it still mostly luck-based, or is it actually strategic?
#9threetimesPosted 6/7/2008 11:55:34 AM
There are lots of different ability cards and power ups for each character. Also 4 mini-games.
---
"Random Name is in no state to be using Pine Towel..."