Need some Soldier build advice

#1NexusTenebrarePosted 10/29/2009 6:00:48 AM
So I'm looking for a good build for a solo-only Soldier who has a decent turret, but who is capable of handling things himself.
I took a shot at making a build myself and I'd appreciate some input.

http://downloads.2kgames.com/borderlands/website/skilltree/roland/#01500505050050505050000

I still have 5 points left in that build. I'm unsure where to spend them, but I'm thinking either Grenadier or Grit.
---
"Alas, poor Nupraptor - I knew him well. Well, not really." ~ Kain (Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain)
#2kamikazecarlPosted 10/29/2009 6:11:33 AM
your build looks pretty much like my soldier build for my roland except instead of defense and fitness, i went for stockpile and aid station, but only put it in those if you are going to use your turret alot, Grenadier would be cool if you use grenades alot(I forget half the time) and I put my last points into sentry, It helped when I went through on my second playthrough. Refire isn't too bad if you want your turret faster, since having 5 points deploy doesn't make it instantly recharge like you think it would. Hope this advice helps.
---
autoalchemist62: "I keeps it gully!!!" XBL Gamertag= KamikazeCarl84
Goals: Halo 3 Road to Recon:3/7 Worms 2: Mission 22/35
#3MottaajaPosted 10/29/2009 6:12:49 AM
Just go with the flow as you play, then respec whenever you feel like the current build isn't working for you.
---
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7919/snailjet.gif
#4blades_of_genoPosted 10/29/2009 6:14:33 AM
A good solo build would be Infantry/Support line

http://downloads.2kgames.com/borderlands/website/skilltree/roland/#01550505505050550000000

That build is serving me quite well, I never really have to stock up on ammo, if I get low, drop the turret. If theres a big guy comin, or a group. Throw down turret, u get ammo+clear the enemies while u sniper or pick off the rest of them
---
Girls are like parking spots. The good ones are taken, and the really good ones are handicapped
#5CrazyIvan606Posted 10/29/2009 6:16:29 AM
Ugh. Get rid of Metal Storm.

Put the Metal Storm points into Grit and then into stat.

Then you can heal yourself while killing.

Stat is one of the best solo Roland stats, because Fitness and Overload are great stats, and you have to max them to get to Stat. Grit is also good because it gives you more 'solo-bility'. Everyone seems to ignore Roland's shotgun ability. With Overload and a Support Gunner Mod, you can take those extremely powerful two shot shotguns and extend their magazine by a shot or two, then Stat allows you to heal everytime you blow someone in half with your boomstick.
---
Just think of your front door as a loading screen and go get some real achievements. -Stevolution
#6kamikazecarlPosted 10/29/2009 6:17:21 AM
Also the Support Gunner character mod helps alot with ammo replenishing, you never have to buy ammo again with this on your guy.
---
autoalchemist62: "I keeps it gully!!!" XBL Gamertag= KamikazeCarl84
Goals: Halo 3 Road to Recon:3/7 Worms 2: Mission 22/35
#7KungPooPosted 10/29/2009 6:36:28 AM

i use overload and a mod that also does +3 overload and even my alien weapons get just about double their 'ammo' clip.

My 12 shot Shotty holds 20 and I have one that is close to 30 before you have to reload it. really is nice to have a gun that's like a machine gun!

Now are are sure that if you go 5/5 and the mod has a +2 or 3 then it's 7 or 8/5 ?

I don't want to waste things if I don't get the results

#8KungPooPosted 10/29/2009 6:42:05 AM

i use a 4 and 1 in a tree a lot because that ammo regen and health on the turrent is nice.

I mean i'd rather have another perk even if a 1 vs just 5/5.

#9NexusTenebrare(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2009 6:43:48 AM
Okay, I took on board the advice and I've come up with a new build.
As for the guy who said to just go with the flow, I just generally enjoy planning out builds in advance for these kinds of games.

http://downloads.2kgames.com/borderlands/website/skilltree/roland/#01500000050055505050055

The Medic tree should give me good survivability, while the Support tree will buff my turret some.
That only gives me impact in Infantry though. I don't take Scattershot, because truth be told I prefer combat rifles over other kinds of guns. The only reason I took Metal Storm was to get Assault, which would have doubled my ammo capacity with combat rifles and reduced recoil.
Of course alternatively I could buff my turret with Sentry and then get Assault. For that I'd have to lose some stuff in Support though.
Mind you, if Deploy doesn't make it instantly recharge that might not be a bad thing. If that isn't what a 100% cooldown reduction does, then what does Deploy actually do?
---
"Alas, poor Nupraptor - I knew him well. Well, not really." ~ Kain (Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain)
#10CrazyIvan606Posted 10/29/2009 6:46:34 AM
It depends on the Skill it is upping. The best way to check is to simply got and equip the mod, and see if what it does changes. For example, I know Class Mods that upgrade Overload stack higher than 5, because my magazines get larger after I equip the Class Mod.
---
Just think of your front door as a loading screen and go get some real achievements. -Stevolution