Orange vs Purple

#1ProdigalDragonPosted 9/13/2011 3:36:51 PM
Just finished Robolution. This is my first level 69 Character.

My question is if Orange weapons are gonna always be better than Purple weapons?

In other words, if I have a purple weapon, should I just trash it till I have an inventory of all oranges? (maybe one day a pearl or two if i'm lucky)

Thanks!
---
The Prodigal Dragon
#2stillnotelfPosted 9/13/2011 3:44:52 PM
Within a class of weapons, generally an orange will be the best, but it's not a rule. The biggest exception is in SMGs, where the best are the (orange) Maliwan Hellfires, and the whatever-colored Anarchy series. Anarchies shoot 4 bullets at a time (cost of 2 ammo, like a Double) and do, well, buttloads of damage.
---
Usque adeone mori miserum est? After all, there's always a continue...
#3doreycolePosted 9/13/2011 3:44:54 PM
Nope, some purple weapons far outclass some of the orange legendaries.
---
GT: doreycole
Just remember that Scooty-Puff Jr. sucks
#4ProdigalDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2011 3:56:08 PM(edited)
doreycole posted...
Nope, some purple weapons far outclass some of the orange legendaries.

Okay, but I can trash the Blue and below right?

I think I get what you're saying. Orange are somewhat "set." So Purples can get the parts to beat them. That basically it?

The way I was trying to look at it is, if I have a powerful purple, if the parts were maybe a bit better it would've been orange instead. But that's not correct.

Thanks for the quick responses.
---
The Prodigal Dragon
#5rollzroyce15Posted 9/13/2011 3:58:37 PM

Maxed level 69 and have farmed chest over and over for months. Currently my 'best' weapons are all purple except for 1. I hold three purples and one orange. It all comes down to what you prefer. Things like more power or faster fire rate. Or elemental damage vs higher base damage.

#6doreycolePosted 9/13/2011 4:03:55 PM
The thing about the oranges is their hidden effect, the red flavor text on the gun card. They range from awesome to worthless and can set them apart from a technically better purple. It's all about trying the weapons out and seeing how they work for you. Hell, I still have some pretty nice blue weapons that can still hang with some purples, oranges, and even pearlescent weapons.
---
GT: doreycole
Just remember that Scooty-Puff Jr. sucks
#7PensatoPosted 9/13/2011 4:08:29 PM
My Lilith has a blue stinger that is better than her dark orange hellfire (it's a really awful hellfire). That's how random loot is in this game.

In other words...always pay attention to your loot. Know what weapon types you prefer and always pick those types up no matter what color they are and compare them to your current guns to see which is better.
#8ProdigalDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2011 4:16:31 PM
Pensato posted...
always pay attention to your loot. Know what weapon types you prefer and always pick those types up no matter what color they are and compare them to your current guns to see which is better.

This is what I've been doing. I was just hoping that now that I'm 69 and have access to the best weapons in the game, go through it all gets a lot easier... oh well for that theory.
---
The Prodigal Dragon
#9BahamutmegaPosted 9/13/2011 5:19:52 PM

Any time you get an orange weapon go to the borderlands wiki and check the weapon out. The information on there includes more than what you see, rather it goes by the code. All orange weapons have hidden attributes, so look up there. But in the end just because a gun is more rare doesn't mean it's better. I have two orange, a purple and a white gun for my main weapons.

So double check on borderlands wiki for orange weapons and everything else look it over.

#10magicman66044Posted 9/13/2011 7:04:01 PM
I have mixed feelings on the Legendaries. The name "Legendary" implies an epicness that they usually lack. Looking at a gun card just to read "Big Tony says 'Hi'" feels like such an insult.
Screw you Big Tony! Quit saying "Hi" so often! I wanna hear "Give sick" or maybe, just once, "Pele demands a sacrifice"! But no, Tony and his uber magazine won't leave me be!
BTW: I like how we have BahamutMega and NewBabyDragon on the same board. That's so cute. Where's Suzy_theMamaDragon?
---
"Arcana Samurai" ~Since Level 15 all the way to 99 in Lord of Arcana