Can you run it? System requirements FAQ.

#1xiph08Posted 10/17/2009 5:53:12 AM

Saw this posted on another forum, thought I should post it here as well. Since there seems to be some confusion regarding this topic.

" This thread was made to prevent 1000 other threads popping up with the same question.

You ask yourself, can I run Borderlands with my system specs?
Well, since the real system requirements have not been released I've decided to make an approximation.

Borderlands uses the Unreal Tournament 3 engine. So if you are able to run UT3 you technically should be able to run Borderlands. Therefore, we shall start by posting
UT3's system requirements:

Minimum System Requirements
* Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
* 2.0+ GHZ Single Core Processor
* 512 Mbytes of System RAM
* NVIDIA 6200+ or ATI Radeon 9600+ Video Card
* 8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

Recommended System Requirements
* Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
* 2.4+ GHZ Dual Core Processor
* 1 GBytes of System RAM
* NVIDIA 7800GTX+ or ATI x1300+ Video Card
* 8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

You can now start comparing. NOTE! I myself find Unreal Tournament 3 to be a poorly optimized game. On my laptop I can barely play UT3 with solid FPS on low settings. However, I can play Team Fortress 2 on HIGH settings.

This brings us to another matter. Randy Pitchford, said that they are currently optimizing Borderlands so that it can be played on some weaker machines. Among other things he said that if you can play Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 dead on High settings, you should have no problems playing Borderlands. So, let's check out
TF2's system Requirements:

Minimum:
1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8 level Graphics Card, Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended:
Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

And ofcourse,
L4D's System Requirements:

Minimum:
Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Graphics: 128 MB, Shader model 2.0, ATI 9600, NVidia 6600 or better
Hard Drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Recommended:
Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Graphics: Shader model 3.0, NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better

Now you should have enough info to compare your machine a bit. If you still think this is tricky to figure out, try going to "Can you run it"'s webpage and select a game and they will check the rest for you. "

#2stealth74Posted 10/17/2009 7:45:16 AM

Thank you. This was reallly helpful

#3NovaPosted 10/17/2009 8:10:37 AM
I love the whole idea of this but I highly doubt it'll stop the same crappy topics being posted, happens on every board. If only people weren't so lazy.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#4billthegreetPosted 10/17/2009 8:17:38 AM

I'm suprised they haven't said anything about the requirements yet anyways thanks for this gives me hope that i can play it :P

#5DaLaggaPosted 10/17/2009 9:14:57 AM
Thanks for the tips. Steam has some requirements listed, but they don't seem accurate.

Processor: 2.4 Ghz or equivalent processor
Memory: 1GB System RAM (2GB recommended with Vista)
Graphics: 256mb video ram or better (GeForce 8 series or higher/Radeon R8xx series)
Hard Drive: 8 GB or more free space
Sound: Windows compatible sound card

Although, it doesn't say if that's the minimum or recommended, whether that's a single or a dual core processor, and has the GeForce8 and ATI 5xxx series listed which are not even close to being comparable in performance.

"Borderlands uses the Unreal Tournament 3 engine. So if you are able to run UT3 you technically should be able to run Borderlands. Therefore, we shall start by posting"

Eh. This can vary tremendously though. For instance, here's the requirements for games based on the Source engine when it was first released compared to today.

Half Life 2

Minimum:

Supported OS: Windows 2000/XP
Processor: 1.2 GHZ
Memory: 256mb
Graphics: DirectX 7 level graphics

Left 4 Dead

Minimum:

Supported OS: Windows® 7 / Vista / Vista64 / XP
Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz
Memory: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with 128 MB, Shader model 2.0. ATI X800, NVidia 6600 or better
Hard Drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

"Among other things he said that if you can play Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 dead on High settings, you should have no problems playing Borderlands."

That's interesting. I did not know that. For reference, I was able to run TF2 on high settings with an AMD 3000+, x800XT, and 2GB RAM on XP. If that helps anybody.
#6maoricPosted 10/17/2009 12:51:36 PM
Half Life 2 and L4D are using totally different versions of the Source engine, so comparing the two doesn't work that well.

Another helpful tip I've seen given is to download the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo from Steam, since that's another recent Unreal Engine 3 game.

---
Go to synaesthesia.
~Rez
#7xiph08(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2009 2:33:35 PM
Dalagga, i would just put my faith in Pitchford's statement, As that is all gearbox has really stated. If you can run tf2, then borderlands should run fine on medium/low at least. Maybe even high.
#8DaLaggaPosted 10/17/2009 3:06:46 PM
"Half Life 2 and L4D are using totally different versions of the Source engine, so comparing the two doesn't work that well."

That was kind of my point. You never know what kind of tweaks the developers have made. Although, if you want to compare the same versions of the source engine, look at HL2 vs Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. I don't recall the specs, but I do know that on my old rig VtM:B ran at roughly half the framerate maxed out as HL2 did, and HL2 looked better.

"Another helpful tip I've seen given is to download the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo from Steam, since that's another recent Unreal Engine 3 game."

Well, you'd have to be sure to run it without the PhysX on to get a somewhat accurate comparison.

"Dalagga, i would just put my faith in Pitchford's statement, As that is all gearbox has really stated. If you can run tf2, then borderlands should run fine on medium/low at least. Maybe even high. "

Oh, I know. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong exactly. Just trying to point out that while some games built on the same engine may run similarly, other times the differences in performance can be dramatic.
#9SabrielAbhorsenPosted 10/17/2009 11:13:35 PM
I can run all those games so this makes me feel better :)

bump for reassurance
---
"I'll hide the Cheezits so good Chris'll have to roll a perfect smell check to find them"-Kyle Livezey
#10xiph08(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2009 2:57:10 PM
oh yes, I was expecting it to be a somewhat demading game as well.