How does Playthrough 2 work in regards to Playthrough 1?

#1StarryKnightsPosted 1/3/2011 1:23:29 AM
I've beaten the final boss, and now when I go to load the game I get two options: Playthrough 1, and Playthrough 2.

When I load Playthrough 1, it's exactly the same as I left it. What happens when I select Playthrough 2? Does my character transfer over to a new game intact and erase the Playthrough 1 save in the process? Or are they interchangeable (For instance, my character is the same regardless of the Playthrough I select, only quests and such are different)?

Or have I by winning the game frozen my character as they'll start in Playthrough 2? For instance, I continue to play Playthrough 1 and gain a few levels. Will, when I select Playthrough 2, begin a new game with my character as they are after the levels are gained?
---
"If you're going to be a mod, you should work harder to get rid of your humanity. It's creepy." ~ Monker to The Paragon
#2bumdudePosted 1/3/2011 7:16:21 AM
You can bounce back and forth between playthroughs without messing up your save. Playthrough 2 just starts you off at the beginning with your character intact. Just think of it as a harder difficulty level.
#3StarryKnights(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2011 9:05:17 AM
Capital! Thank you for answering my query. Another:

When, upon completion of the second playthrough, am I able to start a third playthrough with my character? As in, another reset of quests and such?
---
"If you're going to be a mod, you should work harder to get rid of your humanity. It's creepy." ~ Monker to The Paragon
#4Weebo126Posted 1/3/2011 10:10:13 AM
After you finish PT 2, the quests don't reset, but the enemies in PT 2 all scale up to your level, assuming you've fully patched the game.
---
They circled the Earth three times and then vanished!
http://www.last.fm/user/Weebo126/
#5StarryKnights(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2011 10:14:13 AM
Darn, that sorta sucks. I hope they'll make the New Game+s infinite, like in Chrono Trigger, with another patch.

Well, I guess I'll avoid the sidequests until I get to the end, then...
---
#6bumdudePosted 1/3/2011 6:41:42 PM
Make sure you get the DLC. There are currently 4. The 3rd one, General Knoxx, raises the level cap to 69.
#7John_MagnumPosted 1/4/2011 11:18:38 AM
The 3rd DLC raises the cap to level 61. The 1.4.1 title patch increased the cap by eight levels, regardless of which DLC you own.
Thus: Someone with Borderlands pre-1.4.1 and no Knoxx will have a cap of 50. Someone with Borderlands 1.4.1 and no Knoxx will have a cap of 58. Someone with Borderlands pre-1.4.1 and Knoxx will have a cap of 61. Finally, someone with Borderlands 1.4.1 and Knoxx will have a level cap of 69.

I really, really wished they turned the level scaling on before the end of PT2. If you do pretty much any DLC in PT1, you'll be overlevelled throughout the entirety of PT2.
---
John Magnum
Master of Subtlety
#8megamanzero1000Posted 1/16/2011 12:13:31 PM
But wait assuming I got all DLC, the patch, that I finished playthrough 2 and that I want to play the expansions with enemies scaled to my lvl. How does this work, do I need to get to 69 before the enemies will scale or can I start the expansions at lvl 50 then?
---
"I'll see you guys at dinner"