PC Vs Console

#1dot921Posted 4/12/2012 6:03:35 PM
Which plays better/smoother?
---
0303-9180-7014 - Black - Gale
4383-1144-4610 - Platinum - Mika
#2FlyinBrianPosted 4/12/2012 6:45:50 PM
while the PC port is sub-optimal at best, this is a shooter, and shooters always control better with mouse/keyboard
---
Sanity's really just a one trick pony, you just get one trick: rational thought. But when you're good and crazy, oh baby! The skies the limit! - The Tick
#3scottrand05Posted 4/12/2012 7:27:19 PM
The keyboard part is debatable (it depends on what you are used to, and many people prefer a "joystick" to directional buttons), but the mouse is definitely better than a stick.
#4JaphascaPosted 4/17/2012 1:01:41 AM
Having played the 360 and PC GOTY versions (probably long after any additional bugs will be fixed,) I honestly like them equally, as far as play is concerned. With an 1080p monitor and TV, they both look great. My only gripe is the need for a Gamespy account to play online with Steam. Gamespy's profile editor and nickname chooser seems broken at best, and something is blocking my system from online play.

The only thing I've noticed that is different is enemies seem to drop less on PC (can't confirm this, and don't honestly care) and loot disappears after a time on the PC version in a way that doesn't happen on 360 (again, don't care, but don't expect to run back to loot you couldn't carry at the time and expect it to still be there.)

If you do choose to play PC with a controller rather than mouse/keyboard, (and let's face it, the best pad on the market for PC is a wired/wireless 360 controller) there doesn't seem to be a method to move the map around, although the "A" button will change the zoom.

With a computer that will run it, I honestly can't say either version is better. A lot of people seem to think the PC port is sub-par; I've played the 360 version all the way through (PT 1-2.5, all DLC,) and while I'm only level 20ish so far on PC, unless there's some great dumb thing coming up, I have to assume the people who said it sucked were too busy [insult removed] to make a reasonable point.
---
Funny how GameFaqs tags the word "faqs" as mispelled.
#5thedoc42Posted 4/25/2012 5:39:23 AM
The PC version is "sub-par" in that the menus are not exactly handling well and a few minor gripes cannot be tweaked from the settings.

There are workarounds:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1463861

I use:

Mouse smoothing Off
Vsync On

I've seen asked a lot: FOV changes

There's nothing in game to lessen the fun though... Never crashed in my multiple Play-Throughs for example...
#6wanderzPosted 4/26/2012 3:42:31 AM
the only "problem" i see with the pc version is that the menus work like you have a controller even if you don't.

it's a bit confusing to explain and also takes about 20 seconds to get used to, but it is just a bit silly that they didn't optimize it for using a mouse a little better.

gameplay wise i think the pc version is better, but it's really not a huge difference other then the fact that mouse aiming is about 20 times better then controller aiming..
more precise control, and faster. which in shooters makes a huge difference.

you can get a mouse / controller that should work on both the 360 and pc..
http://www.amazon.com/Fragfx-Shark-360-Controller-PC-Mac/dp/B0052RLMGM

i would be really tempted to get one to try it out if they drop the price a bit.. like maybe $50 or less. tho i would probably use it more on my pc then my 360.
---
i tried being serious once, in 1989.. didn't particularly care for it.. so don't expect it to happen again.
#7MarikhenPosted 4/26/2012 5:31:43 PM
wanderz posted...
the only "problem" i see with the pc version is that the menus work like you have a controller even if you don't.

it's a bit confusing to explain and also takes about 20 seconds to get used to, but it is just a bit silly that they didn't optimize it for using a mouse a little better.

I'd be interested if you could explain it from your point of view. The only non-weapon issue I have with the UI is when a mission has more text than can be fit into the standard frame and you have to scroll down to read it. You can't mouse scroll there so you're normally forced to use the page up/down keys, but a quick script with AutoHotkey can solve that.

;Settings for Borderlands
#IfWinActive ahk_class LaunchUnrealUWindowsClient
{
+WheelUp::Send {PageUp}
+WheelDown::Send {PageDown}

return
}

Beyond that I haven't noticed anything glaringly "wrong" or even mildly annoying about it. The aforementioned weapon issue involves previous/next weapon selection and how buggered up it gets because it doesn't operate on inventory order, and this isn't something I think would be any different if it weren't a PC port as there's no real console-specific reason for weapon cycling to get out of order like that.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.