SO is this actually out in the USA? If so how is it? :)

#1dhowerterPosted 11/22/2007 5:48:59 PM
SO is this actually out in the USA?

If so how is it? :)

It looks like a 3D rail shooter (like Star Fox or Panzer Dragoon) except wtih flying mechs, yes?

Anyone here play it and have any impressions they want to share? (positive or negative)

(and since I'm reading a lot of negativity on this board toward this game, anybody have any POSITIVE impressions of this game? ;-)

MY GC could use more simple, arcade type games :-D

#2GELPosted 11/23/2007 9:22:52 PM
I *JUST* rented it. When I saw the cover I laighed thinking "Oh GOD this will suck, let's see" then I looked at the back and OH LAWDY IS THAT SOME ON-RAILS SHOOTER? ...it looks like Ex Zeus.

Sure enough, it was! (I saw Ex Zeus on one of those Tsunami machines, but the machine was broken so I wrote the name down to remember it so I could look it up and try it. I love on-rails shooters)

The game is decent. Graphically it looks like an old Dreamcast game and though if I'm not mistaken it's from Europe, the game is CONVINCED it's Japanese...but in a good way with "VS" screens before the boss fights and music that is HEAVILY inspired by old SHMUPS (the boss battle theme reminds me of Lords of Thunder).

The actual gameplay is exactly what you think, on-rails Star Fox-esque stuff. However the controls are odd, not bad though! You tilt the nunchuck to move and you can use the analog stick to ALSO move (hard to explain but you do kinda use both simultaneously). Z button shoots your forward shot, which becomes a wider spread as you nab power ups. Hold Z for a charged laser. Press C to lock-on to targets then hit Z to unleash homing missiles. Point the Wiimote at the screen and press A to shoot aimed shots. Press the 1 button on the Wiimote touse your screen clearing bomb.

That's basically it. Biggest complaint is the lack of a "No Tilt" mode and the fact that A is used instead of B for shooting with the Wiimote. Other than that, decent game though I wouldn't pay more than $30 for it. $20 would be perfect!
---
I YELL GAME WORDS!
http://the-gel.livejournal.com/
#3GELPosted 11/24/2007 12:10:00 AM
...actually...scratch that...it IS a Japanese Dreamcast game! Ends up Hyper-DevBox is a Japanese company and the game was originally made for the Naomi. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!
---
I YELL GAME WORDS!
#4dhowerter(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2007 7:41:17 PM
GEL -

"The actual gameplay is exactly what you think, on-rails Star Fox-esque stuff. However the controls are odd, not bad though! You tilt the nunchuck to move and you can use the analog stick to ALSO move (hard to explain but you do kinda use both simultaneously). Z button shoots your forward shot, which becomes a wider spread as you nab power ups. Hold Z for a charged laser. Press C to lock-on to targets then hit Z to unleash homing missiles. Point the Wiimote at the screen and press A to shoot aimed shots. Press the 1 button on the Wiimote touse your screen clearing bomb."

Thanks for the reply :)

Couple questions:

1. On the Nunchuk C is the TOPMOST button right? (I always get C and Z confused ;)

2. Can you use ONLY the analog stick to move and turn off the nunchuk's motion sensitivity? OR turn off the analog stick and ONLY use the nunchuk's motion sensitivity?

Or alternatively, can you just NOT USE either the analog stick or the motion sensitivity (and use the other one) and actually complete the game? or do you NEED to use both?

3. For both your Z button shots (normal) and your A button shots, is there any kind of rapid fire / auto fire option? (options menu?)

I have to imagine if there isn't your fingers could get REALLY tired ;) (especially repeatedly hitting Z o_O

#5GELPosted 11/26/2007 1:07:26 PM
1) Yes, C is the top most button. Think of the nunchuck like a flightstick and it works.

2) No, you can't turn either control method, but the game is beatable without using the analog stick. The analog stick is just there if your thumb happens to be faster than your wrist or something.

3) No auto-fire, but you don't need it too badly.

I gotta say, the game's options menu is really peculiar. No real control options, but you can change enemy attack speed, damage from stages, and collision accuracy. Weird.

I've spent more time with the game and it's REALLY growing on me. You gotta get used to the control method but it really works. Ends up there's a flight bit of auto-targetting on the aimed shots, which makes hitting with them easier. You really need to use the full arsenal too I think. Aimed shots are good in the beginning and for intercepting things while the standard shot is great once powered-up. Meanwhile, lock-ons should be used to clear away stragglers and mega lasers saved for the boss.
---
I YELL GAME WORDS!
#6Iffy_JotterePosted 11/27/2007 9:02:57 AM
Can anyone out there tell me how many stages are in this game, or if it's got any extra challenge modes like boss rushes or higher levels of difficulty when you finish it? Also, is there enough difference in the three characters, or are they all pretty much the same playstyle with different looks? Any unlockable characters as well?

I'm trying to make a rent or buy or ask for as a gift call on this one.
#7NeoEscaflownePosted 11/27/2007 7:00:16 PM
I just played ExZeus at Dave and Busters, and I love it. Sure it's a bit simple, but I'm a sucker for giant robots. This was actually my second time playing. I think that the lack of motion in your chair may make things better. (chances are tonight, my entire body will relive the motions it went through.) Of course, I've had a hard time finding this game, until now. I've found it on Amazon for a good price. I don't care if it's a less than decent game, I will probably be playing it again and again. Then, after a few years, play it some more.
#8Iffy_JotterePosted 11/28/2007 6:39:54 AM
I'm hearing no comment on whether the Wii home version has any unlockables to add replay value, like boss rushes, sound tests, hat sort of thing. also are there really only 5 stages to the game? If so, I hope the game is incredibly hard to make you have to replay and memorize these levels like a good Contra game.

Any comment?
#9GELPosted 11/28/2007 5:38:20 PM
Does appear to be only 5 stages and the production values on the port are REALLY REALLY LOW. I mean, the menus look like they came from a Jaguar game. So yeah, I would NOT expect this to have any unlockables.

The 3 mechs SUPPOSEDLY have different stats but I'm not quite feeling it yet...though I do seem to do better with Callista than the other two.

Of interesting note IS the options menu, which has choices like "Collision Accuracy" and "Tilt Screen with Mech" and "Enemy Attack Speed". These are all set at different numbers, mostly 75%. I'll bet those were debug options left in the game just for the heck of it. Probably notes the tweaks between the Arcade and Wii release. No doubt things like "Damage from Stage" were turned off to prevent frustration for anyone still warming up to the Wii controls and to make aimed shots more possible. Tweaking those things could provide a challenge.

Actually, on challenges, you could try beating the game on one credit (you have limited continues, hence why I've only made it to the Stage 4 Boss thus far). Also there is a combo system so for score attack junkies this could also work.

To anyone that cares, I just put up 3 videos of a run I did with this game. The 3 videos are of where I was doing good (I started to suck at the Stage 2 Boss) and I recorded them with sound effect volume turned down so the music can be appreciated (I <3 the Boss music!).

Stage 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rREF7fyjxe8

Stage 1 Boss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_jyTSW8zqc

Stage 2 (REALLY nice run):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB3R08YVK9k

Interestingly...has anyone noticed the fact that this game has supposedly been out for a month and yet there are NO reviews of it? It's not even LISTED on Metacritic!
---
I YELL GAME WORDS!
#10dhowerter(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2007 9:30:56 PM
GEL -

Nice vids ;)

I got a question tho: Lets say you only move using the motion control on the nunchuk.

How exactly does that work? O_O

I mean if you move the nunchuk straight up or to the right, your on screen character moves up or right too?

What happens if you move the nunchuk forward or backward, anything?

Finally, if that is how it works for up/down/left /right, is it sensitive?

In other words, to move right, do you have to JERK the nunchuk to the right or will a much more subtle *gentle* movement work too?