Why aren't non-Italians allowed to join the Mafia?

#11baskzokPosted 9/8/2010 1:20:08 AM
Is the Mafia a racist organization or something?

Well yeah. Duh.
#12Conway_TwillPosted 9/8/2010 1:20:28 AM

We'ra already talking about this stuff here

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/mafia2/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-56233769&pid=942955&tag=topics%3Btitle

#13PLCDPosted 9/8/2010 2:00:14 AM
And thus the reason why criminal organizations are always stupid. You will never get true power by being so closed minded and narrow thinking. Why does America kick so much ass in the Olympics? Because we take everybody and use them to their strengths. It's never smart to limit your flexibility.
---
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
#14celtic1962Posted 9/9/2010 10:28:51 AM

Quote from Goodfellas - "But Jimmy and I could never be made because we had Irish blood. It didn't even matter that my mother was Sicilian. To become a member of a crew you've got to be one hundred per cent Italian so they can trace all your relatives back to the old country." Could be not only a matter of pride of their heritage but also a way of keeping track of all of your family. Not as likely to betray them if they know where all of your relatives are, and not as likely to have a brother or cousin working for the FBI.

#15Poundx2Posted 9/9/2010 11:16:51 AM

PL CD posted...
And thus the reason why criminal organizations are always stupid. You will never get true power by being so closed minded and narrow thinking. Why does America kick so much ass in the Olympics? Because we take everybody and use them to their strengths. It's never smart to limit your flexibility.
---
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Not completely accurate if the reasonig behind it is sound. If we are to believe what was said in Goodfellas, the reason was they wanted to be able to trace your roots/family back to the old country just in case. So if you messed up with the organization, they knew where your family was. It was like insurance from betrayal. They call up lil' Petie back in Sicily and ask for a favor because you got flipped or broke the rules and took off. Your family is forfiet. They couldn't do this with the Irish or other ethnicities because the Italian organization(s) didn't have the connections to do anything to your family if they lived in Dublin.

#16G1zzyPosted 9/9/2010 3:31:15 PM
Where i live, it's sufficient being a half Italian, and you must have a relative living in Sicily.
---
There's nothing wrong with the younger generation that twenty years or so won't cure.
#17Hitokiris_GravePosted 9/11/2010 6:41:15 AM
As people have stated you can become an associate, heck you can be an highly respected associate if you play your strengths right but you can NEVER be Made.
If you want a good sense of how the Mafia operates in this day and Age, Soprano's is probably a great resource.
---
Tony: I though I told You to Back of Beansie
Richie: I did, then I put it in Drive
#18professor2244Posted 9/11/2010 11:27:12 PM

In terms of the Italian Mafia, you don't have to be full blooded Italian to join, but in order to become a "made man" like Vito and Joe did, you have to be 100% true blooded Italian.

#19zeroakumaPosted 9/12/2010 9:31:36 PM
I think it's different, isn't it? What about the Chicago Outfit? Wasn't some of their made men jews, blacks, or even japs?
#20puregold99Posted 9/13/2010 3:55:44 AM
In most families you can only become a made man if you are 100% Italian. (or if they think you're 100% Italian) but you can usually still work with the mafia and be an 'associate' if you aren't Italian.