Not being able to access Technologies Question

#1DCGuy12Posted 6/3/2009 12:37:10 PM

Hey everybody,

tech question for everybody. When I played the full campaign as the Americans and the Turks, I could not access the final set of technologies on the I guess you would call it "intelectual" tech tree. It seemed that I could not build a Modern University even though I had accomplished the tech's required to do so. Does anybody know how to access that final set of technologies when playing as the Americans or Turks??

DCGuy

#2MistofRuinPosted 6/3/2009 12:47:25 PM
Conquer a territory with a modern university.
#3Path_1Posted 6/3/2009 1:44:22 PM
Modern universities can only be built in your home region (doubt these two factions are an exception).
#4lovehate111Posted 6/3/2009 9:48:35 PM
Path_1 is right, they can only be built in your home region. eg. Britain can only build one in England. Although I would think that if you conquered a home region for a different nation that was tech advanced enough then you should get one, but the problem with that it that your probably way, way, way, way ahead of every other nation.
---
Pearl FC: 4811 4637 0715
#5MistofRuinPosted 6/3/2009 10:32:15 PM
I am normally military/industrial wise, but I don't really go down the enlightenment tree, as I like being an absolute monarch, so you just jack colleges and universities from other factions to get the trading techs. Works great.
#6lovehate111Posted 6/9/2009 8:35:37 PM
Fair enough, so your only course of action will be to conquer a territory with one in it. Or you could jack the required tech from someone else, but as I said your likely to be way ahead of them, especially since the AI has a tendacy to concetrate on econ tech then military and lastly enlightenment. Also if your concerned about your government type possibly changing don't build a school in your home region until after you have researched all of the requirements for the most advanced university. Then build the school up and research the last techs, once done destroy the uni. This means that your home region will have a high clamour for reform for a while, shouldn't be bad enough to cause rebellion, and when you destroy it only a little bit of clamour will remain which you can handle easily.

In case that doesn't make much sense. The enlightenment techs that increase unhappiness due to clamour for reform only affect the region in which they are researched, so if you researched it in England than the clamour for reform in England will increase but NOT anywhere else. Unfortunately the unhappiness due to industrialisation techs has an effect wherever those particular buildings occur.
---
#7MistofRuinPosted 6/10/2009 1:45:10 AM
"lovehate111
Posted 6/9/2009 10:35:37 PM
message detail

Fair enough, so your only course of action will be to conquer a territory with one in it. Or you could jack the required tech from someone else, but as I said your likely to be way ahead of them, especially since the AI has a tendacy to concetrate on econ tech then military and lastly enlightenment. Also if your concerned about your government type possibly changing don't build a school in your home region until after you have researched all of the requirements for the most advanced university. Then build the school up and research the last techs, once done destroy the uni. This means that your home region will have a high clamour for reform for a while, shouldn't be bad enough to cause rebellion, and when you destroy it only a little bit of clamour will remain which you can handle easily.

In case that doesn't make much sense. The enlightenment techs that increase unhappiness due to clamour for reform only affect the region in which they are researched, so if you researched it in England than the clamour for reform in England will increase but NOT anywhere else. Unfortunately the unhappiness due to industrialisation techs has an effect wherever those particular buildings occur.
---
"

While what you say about enlightenment techs is true that they only effect regions with a school, I generally pile all those in my home region, and the most I ever have at one time is 4. As in the beginning I don't expand, and play a diplomatic game. Which is very possible, if you actually understand diplomacy.

And the only reason I would EVER upgrade a school is to get to wealth of nations, or classical economics. Period. The industrialization unhappiness is NOTHING compared to clamor for reform, AND while it's there, you're at least making bank off the increase in resources.

The enlightenment techs are not necessary at all, as by the time I need them, I've captured a region with either a classical or modern university in it. So why go through the expense of upgrading one, only to destroy it? And why put priorities into the enlightenment tree, when I could develop percussion caps much faster?
#8lovehate111Posted 6/11/2009 6:41:37 PM
Fair enough. I spread my schools around only having the one, usually in my home region, until I conquer a region where I can build another or have a village develop in another region that has one of the big cities where you can build 4-5 different buildings instead of 1-2. Generally I will have at least one school focusing on each type of tech, i.e. one for enlightenment, one for military and one for industry. If I build a fourth it is used on whatever I deem is more important at the time. I only suggest researching enlightenment techs as it makes the number of turns you need to research anything decrease, which is rather substantial on the later techs. Although they will later become "common knowledge" and you will initially have a tech advantage your oppponents will be outdoing you towards the end, depending on how long you take to complete your goals. I definitely agree that when you compare the reform unhappiness with industrial reform is a hell of a lot worse. I also agree with the diplomacy route. Am currently doing it for Sweden as they start with 3 hostile nations around them. I bought off Russia and Poland-Lithuania but was unable to do so with Denmark who have now declared war on me. Oh well. My army is better than theirs so it doesn't really bother me and I plan on taking Denmark soon and using their school for navy tech.
---