duplicate cd-key?!

#1lossoldiersPosted 9/18/2009 8:47:52 AM
so i went to the store just a few hours ago, i bought this game, put the cd-key in ( the one on the back of manual, not the DLC one) and i received a message that i have a duplicate cd-key.

WTF, how in hells name do i have a duplicate when i just bought it from the store?!

i already asked for another cd-key at Steam support, but they react after 12 hours or so -.-

that's just great, just great
/sarcasm
---
as finishing touch, God created the Dutch.
#2TheLastAvatar05Posted 9/18/2009 9:04:38 AM
Whine more. Seriously. If you don't know where to get games from trusted suppliers, I honestly don't feel any sympathy to you.
---
What's so special about The Boss? She beat Jesus in an arm wrestle, that's what! -WallyFeliz
#3CommunismFTWPosted 9/18/2009 9:37:49 AM
1: Don't buy used PC games

2: Make sure you didn't accidentally hit enter twice, see if Empire is on your My Games tab

3: If it is, right click it and Delete Local Content. Now reinstall

4: If its not, and you bought it from somemore legit like gamestop, get pissed at them.
---
Where is the morning, where is the sun? A thousand years of midnight, the sunrise is gone...
#4StiphilisPosted 9/18/2009 3:01:17 PM
I work retail. There are people who will come into a store, slice the tape on one side, copy the CD key, and put the game back on the shelf.
#5Dragon239Posted 9/18/2009 5:11:50 PM
"I work retail. There are people who will come into a store, slice the tape on one side, copy the CD key, and put the game back on the shelf."
And you just let this happen o.O? Is it cause they have a knife/something sharp or cause you just don't care?
---
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHZ, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 8600GT 512mb, Windows XP SP3 22inch LCD monitor.
You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind. - SC Ghost.
#6mattbazzPosted 9/18/2009 10:43:48 PM
^ It doesn't mean that he actually sees it happen.

The same thing happens in supermarkets with budget buy DVD's. Albeit they slice open the package and flog the DVD's themselves.

Staffers only find out about this when they discover the empy cases.
---
ma shelo horeg mehashel, ma sheoreg mehashel et ima
"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what does kill you strengthens you mother"
#7lossoldiers(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2009 3:00:36 AM
"Seriously. If you don't know where to get games from trusted suppliers, I honestly don't feel any sympathy to you."

i got it from a store where i buy all my games and i never got a duplicated cd-key before ( and i am a regular there)

so in this case, it only happened ONCE.
---
#8lossoldiers(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2009 3:05:16 AM
"1: Don't buy used PC games"

it was BRAND NEW, so it wasn't used

but that's not the problem, my problem is that i can't play this while i still don't have a cd-key ;'c
---
#9StiphilisPosted 9/19/2009 4:56:11 AM
And you just let this happen o.O? Is it cause they have a knife/something sharp or cause you just don't care?

1.) Can't speak for all retailers, but I'm a manager and I'm still not allowed to make apprehensions/lock thieves in a room and wait for cops. I'd have to specifically work for security.

2.) I typically do not see it happen anyway. As said before, you will simply find the package later. Sometimes it's in the same aisle with just the bottom slit open, and since they only copied the CD-key and didn't even take the item, I don't know if my company would even charge them. Other times you just find an empty package stuffed behind a pack of underwear in the wrong department, and in that case AP will probably try to track the person down.

All this being said, it is very easy to steal from most retailers. Most security measures are an illusion. The alarm at the front door to detect electronics is typically turned off if security is not in the building (which is a lot of the time given how companies are trying to cut labor costs). People think of theft as someone going into the bathroom with an item, breaking the package open, and stuffing the item in a sock, but people do a lot more than that. People will often just load up a cart of stuff and walk out. A sixteen year old cashier working for the summer isn't going to question someone who confidently walks out of the building with a vacuum. She/he will probably just assume that they rung out at Customer Service instead of a checklane. Besides, a thief would be a sneaky looking guy wearing some baggy sweater they could hide stuff in, and wouldn't be some middle aged guy in shorts and a t-shirt right?
#10y2overkillPosted 9/19/2009 5:25:57 AM
^After reading that I suddenly have the urge to go out and nick stuff.